Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Ops eat Velveeta?!  (Read 24340 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »

"so who you calling amateur?"

How many of the ad viewers are going to make the ham radio connection to "amateur?"  About none, I'm guessing.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »

I see a CB on channel 33, and the Shure 444 says something about CB on the front, but I think I see an Icom HF in the lower left background?   Well let us pretend the CB is re-crystaled to work on 29 MHz. AM or something? 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »

Well, this amateur keeps a CB rig alive in the shack, I'd bet that many knowledgeable Amateurs do as well. 

A CB set to monitor one of the usual CB "skip" channels, left on all the time, with the Squelch engaged, is one of the best "10 meters is likely open" alerts there can be. 

N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »

One man's fish is another man's poisson.

Grin For those with Extra Class eating credentials, or ambitions that way, the cheese known as chevre would be an excellent spreadable and for melting a gorgonzola. Probably not for the novice, however.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

That stuff will give you the Hershey Squirts Sad
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

Well, this amateur keeps a CB rig alive in the shack, I'd bet that many knowledgeable Amateurs do as well. 

A CB set to monitor one of the usual CB "skip" channels, left on all the time, with the Squelch engaged, is one of the best "10 meters is likely open" alerts there can be. 

Yep, been doing that for years!  Works every time.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »

I like Velveeta.  As someone else noted, it makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches.  Besides, it IS cheese, not that palm oil and chemicals junk they refer to as "cheese food".  That stuff is enough to gag a maggot! 
Speaking of fake cheese, a local Pizza joint I used to frequent started putting on their boxes the slogan, "Made With REAL cheese".  First time I saw that, I asked, "As opposed to what?".  To my dismay, they told me what.  Now, I always ask before I order a pizza from a new place.
Tom
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »

Just saw this ad on broadcast TV WPCH 17 ATL, came here to post in amazement ..... It's crazy to me that any ad agency would target their ads like this!

Joe AE5NE
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 06:30:30 AM »

Just saw this ad on broadcast TV WPCH 17 ATL, came here to post in amazement ..... It's crazy to me that any ad agency would target their ads like this!

Joe AE5NE

Targeting ads at young people's sense of irony is common these days. Did you think it was targeted at hams?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »

Ad puzzled me so I looked up the campaign. One source said the ad series targeted young males. Said that was quite a departure for Velveeta which normally focuses on the Mom/family market.

Heard a different ad version last night. Both times it came on during the Comedy Central Stephen Colbert Report TV show around 10:30 PM here in Saint Louis.  Of course I don't watch much TV except that show. But Kraft is certainly missing their intended demographic with me. LOL

Are they targeting hams? I doubt that's been done since 1951. Correctly, that old ad focused on beer and tons of nice equipment, and a hotty June Cleaver type:

http://irarc.ham-radio-op.net/SchlitzHam.jpg
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »

'AIM hit it--they're making a play on the word 'amateur.'
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

Targeting ads at young people's sense of irony is common these days. Did you think it was targeted at hams?

Saw a related Velveeta ad yesterday with a limo driver being glorified.  Definitely seems to be targeted to young teens like some of the silly beer commercials.  Marketers want to get them while they are young before they hit their 20's and have their brand loyalties fairly set  Roll Eyes 

nice to see they feel 'that guy' who does radio to far away parts of the globe will appeal to the youth of today. 
i wonder if limo drivers are flattered too  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:45:50 PM by K9AIM » Logged
AC4WY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7dy8/velveeta-ham-radio-guy

Anybody see this commercial?  I have no idea what they were thinking.  I always thought this cheese was gross!

Chuck
W1CEW

I thought it was kinda cute. Anything that gets us in front of the public in a non-dismissive way is a good thing.
KE5OWY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »

It's just a ham and cheese thing.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »

It has been proven that Velveeta can cause a reduction in your sperm count.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: