Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about TS130S  (Read 1437 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »

Does this radio have a fail safe mechanism to shut off the radio if it's operated with too high a SWR? I was tx'ing with too high a SWR and didn't realize it. Both times I did this my radio stopped broadcasting a modulated signal. The first time I left it unplugged and it eventually reset itself. This time I'm leaving it unplugged for a day or so in the hopes that it will do the same. Any other stuff I should know about resetting a TS130 when the fail safe mechanisms kick in?
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »

Do you have the manual?  If so, look on page 11.

If not, get a copy from the Internet (free), and learn about your rig.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »

Duh. When all else fails, RTFM!  Tongue Roll Eyes

Yeah, I'll have to let it cool before I try using it again.
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »

There is no 'reset', and the protection circuits don't shut off the radio; they fold back the drive and output power when a higher SWR is sensed.  There are conditions, however, where the output is reduced because of high SWR but the finals are still drawing excessive current and are overheating.

Don't rely on the protection circuits.  If the radio malfunctioned because of excessive heat, you are skating on thin ice and must get the load SWR to within reasonable limits. 

Others may have differing opinions, but I wouldn't operate a TS-130 (or TS-120) into a load with an SWR of more than 1.5:1.  It's too risky, especially when the radio is barely worth more than the cost of a pair of final transistors plus labour.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:22:13 PM »

There is no 'reset', and the protection circuits don't shut off the radio; they fold back the drive and output power when a higher SWR is sensed.  There are conditions, however, where the output is reduced because of high SWR but the finals are still drawing excessive current and are overheating.

Don't rely on the protection circuits.  If the radio malfunctioned because of excessive heat, you are skating on thin ice and must get the load SWR to within reasonable limits. 

Others may have differing opinions, but I wouldn't operate a TS-130 (or TS-120) into a load with an SWR of more than 1.5:1.  It's too risky, especially when the radio is barely worth more than the cost of a pair of final transistors plus labour.

Thankfully, the radio wasn't operating under that high of a load for that long. The SWR problem is now fixed, but I will make double and triple sure that the SWR is within reason before trying again. I just hope that I didn't damage the radio. I was operating it with around a 1.5:1 SWR, so hopefully no permanent damage occurred.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:51 AM »

1.5:1 swr is not high. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: