Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex-6000 Series – Demonstrated at Hamcation 2013 - Video and Delivery Dates  (Read 7179 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

Hamcation 2013 saw a public demo of a live 6700 running the 6500 version of SmartSDR.

This late-Alpha/Beta combination looks impressive.

First delivery dates also announced.

Link to Video and my short write-up: http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/pre-release-alpha-flex-6700-radio-demonstration-at-hamcation-2013/

Steve
K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »

Hmnnn, what will the resident Flex bashers in the SDR forum do with themselves now? The poor old souls might actually have to get a life! Roll Eyes On a more serious note, it's great news to hear. Looks like a really impressive rig from what I've seen. I can't afford one and don't know if I'd spend that kind of money on radio if I could but it will be nice to see it shipping. I want to see what other projects might be in the works for the future.
Michael, W4HIJ
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

Nothing to see, nothing to hear on that video. Just a delivery date of April 2013. April 1st I guess.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »

The video that was shot by "Videos By Mike" can be seen on You Tube here:

http://youtu.be/D0gEFw_b8Sc

He has quite a few videos that he shot at Hamcation 2013.

George
K5TR
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »

The video that was shot by "Videos By Mike" can be seen on You Tube here:

http://youtu.be/D0gEFw_b8Sc

He has quite a few videos that he shot at Hamcation 2013.

Thank you, to avoid all the silly nonsense many of us prefer to visit ONLY the source.

Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:04:10 PM »

Thin Client...... Interesting

I wonder what the underlying OS in the radio is.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »

Linux according to Tim Ellison. (don't know what distro, probably a highly customized one)
james
WD5GWY
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »

I thought they were talking about thinning the clients wallet! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  I can't see ever spending that much money on a radio.
Michael, W4HIJ
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »

Linux according to Tim Ellison. (don't know what distro, probably a highly customized one)
james
WD5GWY

That make it a lot more appealing

PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »

james
WD5GWY

I wonder why it would make it more appealing. It would be running CPM and it would not make a difference, the thing is a black box.
If you think you will be able to "play" with Linux running in the Flex you will be highly disappointed.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »

james
WD5GWY

I wonder why it would make it more appealing. It would be running CPM and it would not make a difference, the thing is a black box.
If you think you will be able to "play" with Linux running in the Flex you will be highly disappointed.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

Because Linux used in these applications (embedded OS) tends to be far cleaner than a
closed source OS (ie Windows) where the manufacture can not as easily streamline the OS.

Also it avoids having to pay additional money in Licensing as one would have
to pay if it was a Windows or other closed source OS running on the FLEX.

PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:10:16 AM »

It surely makes it more appealing to Flex. To some extend it is also beneficial to the end user who will not have to pay indirectly for a license.
But the Flex-6000 being a black box what really counts for the end user is not what is running inside but to have a working radio which performs as intended. As of today the product does not even exist. Comes April and we will see what the customers have to say.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »

It surely makes it more appealing to Flex. To some extend it is also beneficial to the end user who will not have to pay indirectly for a license.
But the Flex-6000 being a black box what really counts for the end user is not what is running inside but to have a working radio which performs as intended. As of today the product does not even exist. Comes April and we will see what the customers have to say.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

Jean-Claude is 100% right on.  It might as well be a closed source OS because you will not be able to play with it or touch it in any way.  As far as the user, it is a black box.  License fees make no difference, the radios already costs $4000-$8000 - a license fee would not make any significant difference in the end price.  It has an ARM based processor, so it runs an ARM version of a highly customized Linux - definitely not like your favorite desktop distro.

To think the choice of OS used by Flex has anything to do with you (the end user) is just uninformed.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »

SDR articlee in Jan/Feb QEX discusses some of the technology of the Flex6000
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »

Because Linux used in these applications (embedded OS) tends to be far cleaner than a
closed source OS (ie Windows) where the manufacture can not as easily streamline the OS.

I was hoping that they'd use a dedicated hard real-time OS, like VxWorks, FreeRTOS, uC/OS-III, or QNX rather than a desktop/server OS with some RT extensions bolted on.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: