Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Power Limits PEP or AVG?  (Read 2991 times)
KD8RAP

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »

I want to start running QRP in SSB contests but I am kind of confused on the rules.  They read something like "5 watts max" for SSB but is that average or peak to peak?

The reason I ask is because I already have multiple rigs that run 10 watts peak to peak but they read 5 watts average power on both of my meters.  I have a Sommerkamp FT-7, Yaesu FT-7, and I am about to build a 10 watt SSB kit, and my next purchase is going to be an Elecraft KX3.  The main reason I am asking is because I really want to use the KX3 in contests for QRP SSB.

All these radios are 10 watts PEP but if they read 5 watts average power can I use them or not for QRP in contests?

Any help would be appreciated

73 de KD8RAP
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:52:49 AM »

I'm quite sure it means 5w PEP. For reference, the CQWW rules state "you must not exceed the total power output limitation in your chosen category" and the power levels are given as "5, 100 and 1500" . So for the QRP class you must not exceed 5W at any time so PEP would be the proper measurement. When I operate QRP I set my steady -state output to 5W and I know that I am legal.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

QRP is indeed 5 watts max including PEP and QRPP is 1 watt.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »

Average power became obsolete 30 years ago when the FCC changed the rules to PEP.

The big QRP club, QRP ARCI, used to define QRP as 5 watts average on SSB--now they define it as 10 watts PEP.  For HF CQ and ARRL contests I've used 5 watts PEP.  But, the QRP limits are higher for CQ and ARRL VHF contests.

Zack  W1VT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: