Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day -everyone wants to bring their own radio  (Read 17612 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »

...I see Field Day as a time to have fun.  Not as a serious contest....

Some clubs are that way, others are not.  No matter that that is the attitude that should prevail, with some, the attitude of "getting the most points" does--and that puts off the fun part.  I think it would be much better if the scoring system was ditched for field day and the clubs and groups that did participate just got listed as a participating group in the class that they qualify for.

Field day should NOT be any sort of a contest.  It should be a day where we show off our hobby, have the family in on the fun if they want to come, and when we practice and show off how we can set up a station wherever we are.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:52:53 AM »

...I see Field Day as a time to have fun.  Not as a serious contest....

Some clubs are that way, others are not.  No matter that that is the attitude that should prevail, with some, the attitude of "getting the most points" does--and that puts off the fun part.  I think it would be much better if the scoring system was ditched for field day and the clubs and groups that did participate just got listed as a participating group in the class that they qualify for.

Field day should NOT be any sort of a contest.  It should be a day where we show off our hobby, have the family in on the fun if they want to come, and when we practice and show off how we can set up a station wherever we are.

Some clubs have operating time slots for the members, but in the spirit of celebrating the hobby as mentioned above, we just try to "keep the seats warm" as the ebb and flow of the event goes on. Some folks are avid contesters, while others are happy to operate a couple hours at a time as needed.
It works out pretty well and it keeps it feeling like a fun weekend for everyone.

NA5XX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

In our club everyone brings their on station and typically  operates their own.  Others are invited to sit down and operate.  I found one problem though.  These were newer rigs with multiple layered menus and were not user friendly without the manual.  Sometimes even the owner was not familiar enough with the new radio they bought the month before field day and frustration ensued.  This was not conducive  to entice new operators/guests to try to make contacts on the radios.  The lesson I took form this was the KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid).  I bought my own radio for field use.  A Kenwood TS-430.  I wanted a radio that anyone could set down and operate within a few minutes.  The Kenwood fit this bill for me.  Unless a club has an unlimited budget, members will have to bring the radios on field day.  Operation by guests must be encouraged though as for our group this is the main purpose.  We try to make it a community event.  We operate in a public park where there is lots of foot traffic and set up an information table and guest sign in for those who visit.  It is not a contest for us, but a fun gathering that includes radios.  As for logging, we use N3JFP network version  and it works great.  We don't score high, but we have fun.
Come join us.
W7VJD
Lewis-Clarks Amateur radio Club
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »

Some clubs have operating time slots for the members, but in the spirit of celebrating the hobby as mentioned above, we just try to "keep the seats warm" as the ebb and flow of the event goes on. Some folks are avid contesters, while others are happy to operate a couple hours at a time as needed.
It works out pretty well and it keeps it feeling like a fun weekend for everyone.

Yes, it does--until you get the few that keep on with thought that field day IS a contest.  It makes no difference if the club or group that is sponsoring that event says otherwise, there are still some with "oh, get that one, I think it's a new one..."  or "Don't bother with that one, we've already got them" and in doing so, short circuit the fun of the event--and the attitudes of those who aren't yet comfortable getting on the radio or are first time operators who are put off because they see something that they're not comfortable with.

One year when I was responsible for running field day for a club, I put my foot down.  I said OK, lets not get contest minded here--we're here to have fun and to help people get their feet wet, not to score the highest we possibly can.  You should have seen and heard the looks and comments from the few who didn't agree.....
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »

Last year as we were testing the antennas and cable I "threatened" to pull a "no computers this year-we're going back to paper logging like we did before computers". Boy you should have heard the noise everyone made!!! I only pulled that out just for a laugh. This years event things have calmed down and the stations will be the repsonsibility of the owner. If they need to help someone run it then so be it. Thats how others who are new can learn about the radios and their capabilities. It is looking good for our group as we have several new hams who have never done FD before and are anxious to get their feet wet. I'm sure they will have a great time.

Now if only I can get a bright fluorescent green T-shirt that says "Field Day Coordinator trumps the club president" on the front I will have it made!!!

I think next year all radios have to have at least 2 tubes in the finals. And better than that - ALL radios be tube type...
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: