Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9U4U Burundi  (Read 5235 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »

I think I got them on 17M for a new one. We will see when they update their log.

He was begging for QSOs on 17M, but 15M had a pile.
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »

Aren't Spring and Fall the best times for 10 meters or is it different at the bottom of the globe?
Chris/NU1O

Mid summer (late December, early January) seems the best for 10m. There is a bit of activity at other times, but it is very spotty. That's for VK3. Other areas are different. VK4 and VK6 are thousands of miles away, so quite different lat/long makes for different patterns. Even VK2 has quite different propagation at times. Remember, we don't have lots of little states like USA!
I've been thinking for some time how I may operate CW in the car. Best place I can think of for paddle is on centre console, but that means I will have to learn to use my left hand when in the driver's seat!
9U worked easily at sunrise on 30m today. Also, surprisingly easy on 40m at same time a few days ago. Now I just need to be around when bands open to XT. Will be home most of this coming week, so should be able to make it.
Luke VK3HJ
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »

They are currently 59 + 10 into Montreal, been like that for the last few hours.  Piece of cake with 200W

VA2FSQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »

I did get them. Just checked the log!  Grin
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

The Online Log is a very nice luxury we enjoy with most expeditions now.
It amazes me how some expeditions, such as the I2YSB team with LIVE online log, in Deepest Darkest Africa and other places seem to have a better Internet connectivity than me here, just 50 miles from a city of 3.5M!
With the rollout of the National Broadband Network, I can look forward to an upgrade of my 2-way Satellite Internet system. Better than nothing at all!
Luke VK3HJ
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »

What a great team of ops - got em on all 8 bands CW 10-80.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »

After they busted my call on 20 meters a few days ago, I was determined to get them in the log for a new one. I pounded away for over an hour on 15 meters before getting in the log, then turned to 17 meters and got them on the second call 2 minutes later. Go figure.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »

John AE5X

Whomever was the 10 meter cw OP the other day was a world class operator. It was amazing how he was working NA, SA, EU, and Africa at the same time while grabbing most calls on the first transmission.

On Friday Obama sent about 1,000 military personel to Niger to support a new base for drones. The drones are meant to help the French in Mali.

I am glad these expeditions are happening now because the future is very uncertain in may parts of Africa. Work 'em now fellows while they are active because all this African activity may not last much longer.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:35:04 PM by NU1O » Logged
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »

I got them on 20M SSB this morning at 1720Z 7:20 my time for a ATNO after 20 minutes of calling and they were only a S3-4. Then this evening I got them on 40 CW in about 15 calls in a huge NA pileup still they were only about a S4-5. Yesterday morning (Friday) I tried for over 1 hour on 20 SSB before I gave up. I also heard the Z81E on 20 SSB LP but after 30 minutes I gave up they were only S2-3 but the PILE was HUGE I need them for a ATNO that will bring me up to 287 Smiley.

Roland AH6RR
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »

Sometimes it takes hours bashing away in a pileup, teasing out the QSO with the wanted station. Sometimes it takes one or just a few calls, and it's almost a shock when one hears one's call coming straight back. It's a feeling of satisfaction that only a DXer can appreciate!
Like most of life, it's the hard-won "victories" that are sweetest and most memorable.
There was some discussion about a Pan-adaptor accessory on the forum. I'm finding the Pan-adaptor display with my HPSDR system to be just the greatest aid in picking the spot to call in the QSX slot.
One new band and a point for the CQ DX Marathon was a pleasing result for the 9U4U chase!
Luke VK3HJ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 05:15:18 AM »

The Online Log is a very nice luxury we enjoy with most expeditions now.

It's mighty handy, for sure!  I worked them last night on 17m phone, because the only other place I had worked them was from the car, also on 17m phone.  I must have been pretty weak from the car, so when I heard the op wasn't busy last night, I worked the group again, as an insurance QSO.   Then this morning I looked in the online log, and my insurance QSO from the house isn't there, but my mobile one is.  :-)  Nice to know that--won't dupe 'em again!  Though I'd still like to work them on CW if I get a chance.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 06:40:41 AM »

After they busted my call on 20 meters a few days ago, I was determined to get them in the log for a new one. I pounded away for over an hour on 15 meters before getting in the log, then turned to 17 meters and got them on the second call 2 minutes later. Go figure.

I simply got lucky. Even a blind squirrel sometime finds a nut. My new job hs required more travel and less on-air time. So I have been very limited these DXpeditions. Running 100W also means I have to get them at the tail end. Well, I did that on the last day! LOL

FWIW, I also thought they busted my call. I only confirmed after I showed up on their log. Their ops were very good. I heard their very well on 17, and he would not hear me. I had to try about 10 calls to get them to hear me. And they had no one coming back to them. Clearly I was not propagating well over there. I had many other QSOs where I would barely hear them and them heard me no problem. This was not the case.

I tried on 15M, but their pile was just to much of a pain in the ass. I tried for a couple hours and just gave up. But 17 counts as good as any.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »

John AE5X

Whomever was the 10 meter cw OP the other day was a world class operator. It was amazing how he was working NA, SA, EU, and Africa at the same time while grabbing most calls on the first transmission.

On Friday Obama sent about 1,000 military personel to Niger to support a new base for drones. The drones are meant to help the French in Mali.

I am glad these expeditions are happening now because the future is very uncertain in may parts of Africa. Work 'em now fellows while they are active because all this African activity may not last much longer.

Chris/NU1O

That was ON4AMX - you can find out specifically who you worked by using the log search function on Club Log and hovering your mouse over the green check mark.

John AE5X
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »

John AE5X

Chris/NU1O

That was ON4AMX - you can find out specifically who you worked by using the log search function on Club Log and hovering your mouse over the green check mark.

John AE5X

Thanks.  I didn't know about this cool feature.  It's unfortunate that it can't tell you more about the contact, like what antenna he was using and at what power level Wink  Perhaps one day it will...

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 08:47:59 AM »

John AE5X

I did not know about that feature either, John. You learn something everyday - or at least you should.

I am going to drop him an email.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: