Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about baluns, feedline, and using an antenna tuner  (Read 2860 times)
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:49 AM »

One way to double check the tune condition in your case minus an swr meter it to look at the power meter in the 718 the power will read 100% if the tuner has accomplished a match.

If not the fold back circuit will reduce power..so that is a clue.

KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »

Most of you have not read through the entire thread... 

I will summarize and give my 2 cents since I have been having the dialog:

With the tuner in-line when he initiates a tune from the rig the tuner flashes 3 times and hears NO relay activity. 

That means 1 of two things - 1.  either he has initiated a tune without sending power OR 2. the SWR is so high that it is going into fail safe mode.  I have had a few LDGs so I know both cases and have experienced both.  You can have #1 if the finals are blown OR if your on a mode that is not sending a carrier.  The tuner requires a carrier AND a minimum of 10 watts - less than 10 watts it may not initiate a tune. 

When hitting the tune button on the radio depending on your settings (in the menu, etc.) it SHOULD send 10 - 15 watts and tell the tuner to start tuning - we can suspect a high SWR for the antenna if that is the case.

Seeing a 1.0:1 SWR on the rig WITHOUT the tuner in-line is impossible with a g5rv... again either blown finals OR no carrier (ie no power) OR or bad meter but lets assume that is not the case.

Since you have noted No measurable POWER on the meter when keys up the mic in CW mode.  Lets assume the finals are not blown...  My IC7000 will NOT send a carrier keying up the mic in CW thus I have to believe your Icom radio also does not and why I have asked to try a different mode WITHOUT the tuner in line. 

You need to get an accurate measurement of the antenna system first without a tuner.

Because the LDG tuner will flash 3 times for EITHER issue you need to ensure first power is going out without the tuner AND check the SWR. 

The tuners ability to handle a high SWR of 10:1 is dependent on the power and whether is a high or low impedance match, so it may not handle a 10:1 for all solutions thus why it will flash 3 times   - that's a fail safe to protect the tuner.

Sooo in short - first find out what the SWR is for your antenna with out the tuner - 1:1 is impossible.  Your most likely not sending a carrier... change mode to one that sends a carrier using the Mic.   

The tune button on the radio should ALWAYS send a carrier of 10 - 15 watts (which is what my IC7000 does)... I am concerned why this is not happening and hoping that its because the antenna systems is so far out of spec that its high SWR is what is causing the tuner to not initiate a tune... If not then you have blown finals OR the tuner is bad...

If you cant measure any power or note a SWR > 1:1 without the tuner than I have to say its not the tuner and its your radio.  If you can measure SWR and see power going out and the SWRs are less than lets say 5:1 then its the tuner... if its more than 10:1 than the SWR is just too high for the tuner.

Mike
KD2CJJ
AB3UD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »

Thank you so much everybody. Whoever said there was no carrier during CW was right. I tried TX in rtty and it showed 3:1 swr, so I keyed down and did tuner process and the relays clicked and blinked green showing less than 2:1 swr. Was worried like crap I might have fried my radio. Just tried calling CQ and power meter went up when I spoke into mic. Thanks a lot everyone.

73 Mike
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »

Great to here!!

Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much everybody. Whoever said there was no carrier during CW was right. I tried TX in rtty and it showed 3:1 swr, so I keyed down and did tuner process and the relays clicked and blinked green showing less than 2:1 swr. Was worried like crap I might have fried my radio. Just tried calling CQ and power meter went up when I spoke into mic. Thanks a lot everyone.

73 Mike

Mike
KD2CJJ
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

Here is classic case where Dummy load is great. if low at output of radio , try at output of tuner and if low, disconnect coax at antenna and try there. At some point you should see the problem and you will also know if your antenna coax is good or bad.
regards,
Dick
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: