Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 998 Auytomatic Tuner  (Read 2923 times)
WC3W

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

Called MFJ and obviously did not get to the right technical support.  I have two antennas--one a Tarheel vertical with a 12v stepper coil and an "L" long wire.  I just want to use the tuner on the long wire--and I want to put the tuner in the by-pass mode for the vertical--I could do this with my MFJ 989D--by selecting Coax 1 Direct.  Does anyone know how to put the 998 in the bypass mode?  Can't see to figure this out.
Tks,
Mark WC3W
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »

Put a coax antenna switch in front of it. 
WC3W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

Yea, I thought about the coax antenna switch but when reading the manual, they elude to bypass by depressing certain keys--which I cannot see to get to work!  Any other experiences out there?  Tks for the suggestion though.
MVW  WC3W
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »

See Page 8 of the Manual

"Tune Button:  Has three different functions based on the length of time you press and hold it before releasing.  Press [Tune] quickly (less than 0.5 seconds) to bypass the tuner.  One beep indicates the bypass mode, where the RF from the transmitter goes directly to the antenna with no matching.  A second quick press toggles the tuner back to its last L/C setting, and the tuner responds with two beeps."
WC3W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »

You know I saw this--but it does not seem to be working as the book describes.  when I spoke with MFJ--they asked me if I had the Version 1G instruction manual--I said I did--I just bought this at the Orlando, FL hamfest last weekend.  I will try it again tomorrow---it does appear on page 24 of the manual that there is a way to put the device into the bypass mode----but when I read above the chart---i get the impression that the device goes into the bypass mode if and when you exceed the 1500 watts applied to the tuner--they say it then automatically goes into the bypass mode----flashes and says QRT!  I am still confused--I will play with it in the AM--thanks for your suggestions.
Mark
WC3W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »

PS  When I hit the tuner button per the instructions--got the sound beep---etc---I am thinking I am in bypass-however, when I key my FT 5000, the meter both power and SWR on the MFJ 998 are moving----in bypass mode--the meters should not be registering output or SWR----confusing! 
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »

I may be wrong, but as far as I know all tuners both manual and automatic show VSWR and power (those with meters on them) whether in by pass or automatic. The VSWR and watt meter are independent of the tuner in bypass mode.

Hope this helps

73s

K2OWK
NB3R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:41:10 AM »

I may be wrong, but as far as I know all tuners both manual and automatic show VSWR and power (those with meters on them) whether in by pass or automatic. The VSWR and watt meter are independent of the tuner in bypass mode.

Hope this helps

73s

K2OWK

The meters are going to measure output regardless if the tuner is in bypass or not. 
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »

PS  When I hit the tuner button per the instructions--got the sound beep---etc---I am thinking I am in bypass-however, when I key my FT 5000, the meter both power and SWR on the MFJ 998 are moving----in bypass mode--the meters should not be registering output or SWR----confusing! 

The meters still monitor power and SWR when in bypass.  There is a feature that if you press and hold the TUNE button more than about 2 seconds, the TUNE/BYPASS features are reversed.  I.e., normally tapping TUNE bypasses the tuner.  Holding TUNE for 1/2 second or so starts a tune.  But if you hold the TUNE button for about 2-seconds, these are reversed.  I.e., tapping the TUNE button starts a tune, and holdiong the TUNE button for 1/2 second bypasses the tuner.

Phil - AD5X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: