Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TH-F6A with Wide Receiver - Virginia and Scanners  (Read 2564 times)
KK4MRN

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

I think I have finally found the ham radio I want to buy.  The Kenwood TH-F6A is an HT transceiver for 2m/1.25m/70cm.  However, what really got me was the wide receiver: 0.1 - 1300 MHz.  This means I get all the HF ham bands.  But also various modes FM, AM, SSB (LSB/USB), and CW.

Would this model be counted as a scanner?

I am a FCC licensed Technical Class amateur radio operator.  Yet, I live in Virginia where I hear that scanners are illegal.

Is this radio legal for me to use in Virginia?   What are the laws concerning ham radios with wide receivers in Virginia?

I also wanted digital modes, such as, RTTY, D-STAR, etc., but this would bring the radio out of my price range.

Another reason I wanted a wide receiver portion is so I can build a ham radio and have something to compare to.  I really want to build a 40m SSB/CW radio. 
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=virginia+scanner+laws
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »

I wouldn`t use the ht in your car,but other than that I wouldn`t worry. Really almost all ham rigs these days can scan bands,be it ham or public service with an ht. You`re a licensed ham using a rig on the ham bands,nothing illegal with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: