Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna suggestions  (Read 1231 times)
KE7EYX

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »

Am in need of some suggestions for a simple HF base antenna. Preferably covering 6m-80m.  Setup FT897 w LDG tuner
Only restrictions are the following, am living in a camper trailer on a camp ground so antenna:

1. Can't be big
2. High up (want no guy wires running round to support structure/ draw attention)
3. Though of using a all band dipole. down side long an not enough space to run one in
4. Has to fit with in a RV spot (30x15)

Looked at possibly using one of the following (would be mounted on a 15' pipe for some height):
1. Tarheel antenna
2. Screwdriver antenna
3. Someone else may suggest may be better option to go with.
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »

How about a MFJ-1979 17ft telescoping vertical - can work 1/4 wave 6m-20m as set up. Use a single elevated radial cut for band in use & adjust vertical length to suit. Can mount as low as 2ft off the ground. Mine is set at 17ft for 20m with single elevated 1/4 w 20m radial - 4ft off the ground. See pics QRZ.com under K1WJ call. Worked UA0KBU in Russia with mine, 45 minutes ago. This antenna will retract to two ft when not in use. $59. No Traps / Coils - Efficient 1/4w  Good to Go.
73 K1WJ David Cool
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »

The Telescoping vertical is OK for semi permanent use but will inevitably have problems with moisture and corrosion.
The nested tubing joints will exhibit contact issues when in windy, rainy conditions.

The antenna will work fb until depending on the environmental conditions problems ensue.

The height above the trailer and the ground lends itself very well for a permanent weather proofed installation of a vertical radiating system and sloping tuned elevated radials or a flat radial system up on the roof.

a really effective system is a trap series brand such as the Mo-1 54" mast and resonators mounted in the middle for best results but can be staged and when working properly is a good HF DX antenna.

Or,

A continuously tuned version.

Radials would not be required when the system/s are pushing against the mobile structure.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »

A  5BTV vertical will work if you can lay down some radials.  and you can make a tilt over base for it easy.  A fan dipole would also work, and steppir has come out with a new "crank it" verticle.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »

Recommend you look for something quick to assemble and disassemble.

Some other ideas:

http://www.radiosurvivalist.com/antennas/stealth-hidden-camouflage.asp

You could also do those end-fed antennas with a fiberglass pole to hold them up.

http://www.ultimax-antennas.com/services.html

http://wonderpole.com/
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »

Am in need of some suggestions for a simple HF base antenna. Preferably covering 6m-80m.  Setup FT897 w LDG tuner
Only restrictions are the following, am living in a camper trailer on a camp ground so antenna:

1. Can't be big
2. High up (want no guy wires running round to support structure/ draw attention)
3. Though of using a all band dipole. down side long an not enough space to run one in

Looked at possibly using one of the following (would be mounted on a 15' pipe for some height):
1. Tarheel antenna
2. Screwdriver antenna

A good screwdriver installed well could do this job for you; however it will need radials to work and a 15' pipe doesn't make any kind of radial system.

Can you run thin (light gauge) wires up overhead, spread around at 15' above ground, to create a ground plane for the screwdriver?  Another alternative is to use the camper roof as a partial ground plane system, if it's aluminum.  Obviously, if it's fibreglas or something non-conductive that won't work; but even if it's non-conductive, you could possibly just hot-glue or epoxy (or tape!) some copper wire radials to the roof of the camper and connect those to the mounting point of the screwdriver.  Not ideal, but a lot better than nothing.

That kind of solution may not work well on 80m, but has a good chance on 40m and higher frequencies.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »

1. Can't be big

1. Tarheel antenna
2. Screwdriver antenna
Hi,

Have you thought about one of the GAP antenna?  See http://www.gapantenna.com/ for their catalog...  I use a Challenger, and for the most part it is a good antenna...  I have a review of it at: http://nk7z.net/review-of-the-challenger-dx-antenna-by-gap-antenna/

You may want one of the smaller ones, even though Gap says that they don't need guy wires on the Challenger, I differ with them on that...  I have seen my Challenger bent at alarming angles, so I guyed it.  It may not need guys, but it makes me feel better to have them.  The good part is that these antennas are really vertical dipoles, and as such need no ground screen like a normal monopole vertical.  The Challenger does need three twenty five foot wires at the bottom, insulated from ground to work, but some of them don't...  YMMV...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:24:57 AM »

The SteppiR SmallIR might be an option.

Mike K2MK
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:15 AM »

MFJ magnetic loop and a 6 meter dipole will get you close, but not down to 80 meters. While checking out SGC's web site I noticed some of their manual show a loop configuration for their tuners.

http://sgcworld.com/Publications/Manuals/stealthman.pdf might be an interesting read. Not recommending some of the configurations they have shown, but it should give you some ideas at least.

Maglooops are a pain if you spend a lot of time jumping around, but for narrow data modes like PSK 31 where you might sit on the same band/frequency all day they work fairly well. I used an old AEA Isoloop for a while in my old apartment, set up on the balcony. Since I moved to a building that doesn't lend itself to masts or tripods, I now use a wire vertical in a tree that works about the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: