Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a 100 Watt Class amplifier for a FLEX-1500?  (Read 22645 times)
AB2YC

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

I have a FLEX-1500 and would like to have a 100 Watt amplifier to use with it.

I've been looking at the AN762 series of Amplifier boards and filters from
Communication Concepts. and they look like they would fit the bill nicely.
The filter boards are rated for 300 Watts CW (should have no heating issues).

Has anyone had experience with these amps and filters?

Is there a better choice for the money?

Thank you

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »

The RM Italy HLA-300V wil drive to 250 watts out with 5 watts. It has low pass filter for each band and is auto switching. You will need a good 55 amp power supply like the DuraCom DPS-55.

The amplifier is very clean if you don't over drive the unit.

http://www.rmitaly.com/scheda.asp?IDGr=1&cat=19&tipo=188

The amplifier will do about 250-290 watts PEP. Key is not to overdrive the unit.

I used the unit for traveling with my IC-703.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »

Another possibility is this one, kind of tailored for your application: http://www.tentec.com/products/Model-418--160%252d6-Meter-Solid-State-Linear-Amplifier.html

AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »

Another possibility is this one, kind of tailored for your application: http://www.tentec.com/products/Model-418--160%252d6-Meter-Solid-State-Linear-Amplifier.html

I looked at that one but the price is pretty steep, I can build one (less 6 meters) for about half that price
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »

I looked at that one but the price is pretty steep, I can build one (less 6 meters) for about half that price
I almost fell back on the price too.
It's a shame that goodies cost so much.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:17 AM »

Contact 4z4RB Baruch. He sells decent LINEAR  FET amps not CB Junk. I know many hams who have used his amps with external filters on their SDR projects.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/4z4rb/m.html?item=150943164487&pt=US_Ham_Radio_Amplifiers&hash=item2324e9e847&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

These amps will  have decent IMD performance, much better than the CB junk recommended by others.  Baruch has also sorted out all the design problems on the  Motorola designs that CCI and others sell with bugs!

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »

I guess there is more design, more components for a nice clean linear SS amp? No band switching?
I thought of using the TX section from a dead transceiver, but one would have to use the different filters and networks that are switched in and out for the different bands. That would be mainly on the output side?
I was almost tempted to get a Flex 1500, but the QRP power, and the hassle of a P.A., was not worth it.
Fred
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:32:52 AM »

Contact 4z4RB Baruch. He sells decent LINEAR  FET amps not CB Junk. I know many hams who have used his amps with external filters on their SDR projects.

I second that one. He is a fine gentleman, good communicator,
and will build you exactly what you want, not just the ones
he shows on EBay.

For a 100w 10m-160m Low Pass Filter Network, check out
Virgil's kits at HF Projects. He has two models for 100w,
I have the older one and it suits me fine. The board, parts,
and instructions are high quality. All you need to add is
a rotary switch from Radio Shack to control the relays.

http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/kitlplowpafi.html

Good luck with your project!
73, Ken  AD6KA
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:37:29 AM »

I second that one. He is a fine gentleman, good communicator,
and will build you exactly what you want, not just the ones
he shows on EBay.

For a 100w 10m-160m Low Pass Filter Network, check out
Virgil's kits at HF Projects. He has two models for 100w,
I have the older one and it suits me fine. The board, parts,
and instructions are high quality. All you need to add is
a rotary switch from Radio Shack to control the relays.

http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/kitlplowpafi.html

Good luck with your project!
73, Ken  AD6KA

How is that Filter board?

I had read where some had heating issues with it on CW.

AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:46:24 AM »

I guess there is more design, more components for a nice clean linear SS amp? No band switching?
I thought of using the TX section from a dead transceiver, but one would have to use the different filters and networks that are switched in and out for the different bands. That would be mainly on the output side?
I was almost tempted to get a Flex 1500, but the QRP power, and the hassle of a P.A., was not worth it.
Fred

I also toyed with the Idea of using a PA deck and filters out of a old transceiver
but in the end that could be harder than just building one up from scratch.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »

It's half the power you want but  the "Hardrock 50" by WA2EUJ will be a heck of a bargain once they get it type accepted. I don't know why they are going through FCC type acceptance because it's a kit but they are. Anyway, I have a forerunner of it that was based on Jim's original winning entry into the ARRL Homebrew challenge. Nice little amp and I love knowing I built it myself.
Michael, W4HIJ
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:35 AM »

It's half the power you want but  the "Hardrock 50" by WA2EUJ will be a heck of a bargain once they get it type accepted. I don't know why they are going through FCC type acceptance because it's a kit but they are. Anyway, I have a forerunner of it that was based on Jim's original winning entry into the ARRL Homebrew challenge. Nice little amp and I love knowing I built it myself.
Michael, W4HIJ
That is really nice that they are going through type acceptance. For every product we ran through the process we always found some little design change that made it into a better technical solution. When done right and by people who can interpet the reasons for a problem and come up with a fix it ends up making you into a better engineer on subsequent designs.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AB2YC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

I was just looking at that one and put myself on the Notify list

Thank you

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

Michael, W4HIJ

I was just looking at that one and put myself on the Notify list

Thank you

I hope to get one someday too. The one I have is basically the same amp but it lacks 160 and 6 meter coverage. There also isn't a microprocessor and fancy display. There were " group buys" made of parts and PCB's. I had to hand solder my SMD's and provide my own enclosure. The Hardrock 50 is just an evolution of what are known as the "first and second run amps" Mine is a second run.
Michael, W4HIJ
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »

If it is a kit amplifier/low pass filter assembly will have to be assembled to pass FCC type certificate. that still leaves the power supply and cabinet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: