Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FTM-350R vs Kenwood TM-D710A  (Read 4655 times)
KK6CHE

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

I am really new to the world of HAM radios, I currently have a Yaesu FT-270R handheld unit and a Kenwood TM-271 mobil rig with a Diamond NR770 antenna. 

I would like to update my mobil radio to a dual band radio and am looking at the Yaesu FTM-350R and the Kenwood TM-D710A.  Both these radios seem pretty similar in content and price.  The reviews on eHAM seem to show that the Kenwood radio is slightly better based on the average scores for both unites.

The Kenwood has a digipeater (not sure what that gains me), while the Yaesu seems to have a built in GPS??? (correct me if I am wrong on this).

My other concern is, if I already have a Yaesu handheld unit, should I stick with the Yaesu brand?  Any functions that are proprietary to the Yaesu unites that would benefit sticking with the same brand?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff KK6CHE
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »

If you want to get into APRS then go w/ the Kenwood 710.  If you're not into APRS then you might consider the Kenwood
TM-V71A. It is basically the same radio, although w/ different head.  Kenwood sells the RC-710 head if down the line you want to get into APRS.  I own the 710 (and the AvMap G5) and do some APRS w/ it when traveling.  Works great and friends and family can see where you are on the APRS.fi web site.  But that is not the only function of APRS.  Check out Wb4apr's web site or gooogle APRS.

Rick  wn2c
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »

I've had both.

All the shortcomings of the FTM-350 as stated in the Eham reviews are correct. Yaesu dropped the price in the UK by nearly £200 and threw in a free GPS receiver because it is Yaesu's current "lemon" radio.

I had one two weeks before I took it back to the ham dealer and P/X'd it for a TM-D710. The TM-D710 might not have built in speakers in the head unit but the Yaesu ones were pathetic. You might have to pay money for a GPS receiver but the Kenwood is just so infinitely better it is worth the expense.

Also one thing you can do with the Kenwood which you can't with the Yaesu is link it up to a Garmin and use the Garmin in "Dispatch" mode for messaging and to navigate to a callsign you received through APRS.
KK6CHE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies. I ended up going with the Kenwood 710. I also purchased the RT system software to program the radio. Thus far I'm pretty impressed. Have a lot of learning to do, and the manual isn't very good.

Thanks again

Jeff
KK6CHE
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »

Jeff, if you go to Kenwood's site, there you can find the expanded manual and the manual for aprs.

Rick  wn2c
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »

Little bit late, but you'll also find Kenwood's free software on their site.  It works just dandy, BTW.
 - 'Doc
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

Jeff,

You are correct about having a lot to learn. I was still discovering new features six months after I bought it.
They are a whole lot of fun though!

Enjoy,
Jim
WB9QVR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »

I realize that this reply is a little after the fact; however, one thing that should be considered is that the TNC in the D710 can be used for packet as well as for APRS.  Yaesu chooses not to include that capability in their VX-8 series HTs or in the '350AR.  For me the lack of packet operation in the Yaesu rigs is a deal breaker.  It's not that I use packet that often; however, if I'm paying for a TNC in a radio I would like to be able to use it to its fullest extent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: