Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the new Icom IC-51a be used for APRS?  (Read 9678 times)
KD4EBL

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

My understanding is the new ICOM 51a has a built in GPS. What else would I need to transmit my location to APRS? Sorry I am a newbie to this software and mode.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »

No, not without an external TNC. The Dstar protocol includes sending of coordinates in a similar way, but in-channel while transmitting. I think it will also beacon from time to time, but I'm not certain about that.

The interesting thing about the IC-51 is that it will have a database of Dstar repeaters and will show you what repeaters are nearby based on your position.
KB4SHQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

Not sure where K0JEG got his information but it is incorrect. If you go to page 10-18 of the manual, it explains step-by-step how to turn on APRS transmission. It takes about 5 minutes to set up and, once you do, it will transmit your location when you key the mic. I just checked on aprs.fi and THERE I AM. This is SOOO cool!!

KB4SHQ · center · zoom · info
2013-03-22 15:50:49
alt 736 ft
HELLO
[API51 via DSTAR*,qAR,KA4YMZ-B]
start tracking · track in Street View
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »

Not sure where K0JEG got his information but it is incorrect. If you go to page 10-18 of the manual, it explains step-by-step how to turn on APRS transmission. It takes about 5 minutes to set up and, once you do, it will transmit your location when you key the mic. I just checked on aprs.fi and THERE I AM. This is SOOO cool!!

Glad to be wrong.  Wink I hope they post the manual online soon, because I'm interested in this radio.

You made it to the APRS-IS network through a D-star gateway. You weren't transmitting on 144.390 using 1200 baud AFSK though, and I don't know that iGates on the APRS side will transmit your position to the local APRS RF users like the RF digipeater/iGates will.

I'm not trying to bash D-star, just pointing out that it's not quite the same as APRS and the 2 systems, while combined on the Internet, are not so compatible in the RF world.
KB0OXD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »

I've been WAITING like FOREVER now for D-STAR & APRS to be brought together in one radio. THANK YOU ICOM !!!  You restored my faith in you Smiley

Now I just gotta get the $$$ to get my butt down to the "Candy Store" & GET one Grin

Cheers & 73 Smiley

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »

I've been WAITING like FOREVER now for D-STAR & APRS to be brought together in one radio. THANK YOU ICOM !!!  You restored my faith in you Smiley
Now I just gotta get the $$$ to get my butt down to the "Candy Store" & GET one Grin
Cheers & 73 Smiley

OXD....I'm not sure I'm following you.  Icom has NOT combined the two "in one radio".  APRS reporting and DPRS reporting are as apples to oranges as it gets.  Only does the bridging from a D-STAR system with the APRS system mean that you'll show up in that tracking.  Another big issue are the frequencies used to accomplish the above.  APRS uses a dedicated packet freq, whereas DPRS will forward a position when you key up a suitably-equipped D-STAR repeater.  If you decide to set your D-STAR radio in a beacon mode to ping your changing positions, you're doing so on an input frequency of an active repeater, not on a dedicated position reporting frequency as is the case with APRS.  Finally, for trips, you'd need a string of D-STAR repeaters along your route to effectively report.  APRS just takes your pings and reports them, and the network of receivers is far larger in number than the D-STAR system.

Disclaimer....I use D-STAR a lot, with a 9100, 2820, and 51.  But if you main purpose is to position report, go APRS directly and don't hope for a DPRS to APRS bridge.

OH7LZB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:54 PM »

[API51 via DSTAR*,qAR,KA4YMZ-B]

Hi, I'm Hessu, OH7LZB. I run the aprs.fi web service.

Actually, you did not transmit APRS, and the ID-51 does not have APRS. You transmitted a D-star position, which is technically completely different than APRS. You can see this from the "via DSTAR" string above. An APRS radio will not be able to receive your D-Star transmission.

Luckily your D-star repeater runs a DPRS gateway, which converts the D-star position to an APRS compatible format, and passes it on to the APRS-IS network, and it ends up to aprs.fi eventually.

Just to clarify the difference and DPRS and APRS a bit. The gateway works, which is the fun part.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »

Not sure where K0JEG got his information but it is incorrect.

Not sure where KB4SHQ is getting his information, but it is absolutely incorrect.  Sheez....get smart on something before correcting others, will you?

OK, just so we're clear....Icom radios DO NOT transmit APRS!  If you set one up for DPRS position reporting, it will ping your GPS position in an APRS format that's called GPS-A.  But, the packets will NOT somehow get sent independently to the APRS network.  They will be added to your key-up bit stream to a D-STAR repeater that's suitably-equipped with bridging into the APRS system.  All fine and dandy if you're using the repeater input frequently, but if not, and if you decide to instead set up a beacon, you'll be interfering with others on the input of the D-STAR repeater.

Hessu, thanks for dropping in and also for your great work with the fi web service!

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »

http://www.pd0hni.nl/pdfdocs/ID-51A_E_Manual.pdf

Here is the manual for the ICOM IC-51A for those who would like it.ENJOY!  Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:35:01 AM »

Thanks for the link, 'KVW.  I've been meaning to search out a D-star radio manual, but I always kept putting it aside.  Thanks again and 73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: