Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Monitors  (Read 6758 times)
KD8SDZ

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »

Hello

I am in the process of setting up a computer for my ham-related activities. Just wondering if anyone uses more than two monitors, what they use them for, and how they have them set up. Like most folks, once I had two I wondered how I ever got along with only one. Is the same true for three (or four for that matter) or is that just a little over the top ?

Digital modes are in the near future for me, but I'm really not sure about what else I would want to run program wise. Sorry to be so vague.

Thanks

Dave
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »

Now that I have two, I also don't know how I managed with one.

Monitor #1: Flex SDR, DX4Win logger and spotting cluster, Bandmaster, CW SKimmer, AA6YQ Spot collector

Monitor #2: DX Atlas, several browser for ON4KST chat/Ping Jockey/other

If I had a third monitor, I would put all digital comms programs there (WSJT, JT65, MixW).  I would also put any other apps that did not require frequent checking on that screen, including the web pages.  I would make screen #2 only for DX Atlas so I could see the map in real time maximized for the screen.  I also would put prop prediction on the third screen (which I currently don't monitor).

If I did not have Flex SDR, then I would put my Kenwood control software in the exact same place.  Nothing else would change.

Hmmm...maybe I DO need that third monitor.  Unfortunately, space is kinda cramped right now in the shack/closet.
KD8SDZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »

Great Information !
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »

Hmmm...maybe I DO need that third monitor.  Unfortunately, space is kinda cramped right now in the shack/closet.

I would go with a very large single flat panel monitor myself

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:16:39 AM »

I made exactly that mistake -- a 30" Dell with 2560 x 1600 resolution. While it displays a ton of information, the distance from my eyes to the center of the display is quite a bit shorter than the distance to either edge, causing a lot of focus shifting and eye fatigue. A angled pair of 24" 1920 x 1200 displays would be better choice until Avatar-style curved displays become available.

Dave, AA6YQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:28:40 AM »

I made exactly that mistake -- a 30" Dell with 2560 x 1600 resolution. While it displays a ton of information, the distance from my eyes to the center of the display is quite a bit shorter than the distance to either edge, causing a lot of focus shifting and eye fatigue.

You have to be awful close to a display (too close) for that problem to develop!

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »

I made exactly that mistake -- a 30" Dell with 2560 x 1600 resolution. While it displays a ton of information, the distance from my eyes to the center of the display is quite a bit shorter than the distance to either edge, causing a lot of focus shifting and eye fatigue. A angled pair of 24" 1920 x 1200 displays would be better choice until Avatar-style curved displays become available.

Dave, AA6YQ

I'd vote for multiple panels, too.  Currently I'm using three panels for work and three for the amateur radio desk.  That's lots more pixels than I'd get on a single panel, yet all of them are more or less at the same distance from my eyes.  The only problem is that I occasionally have to hunt for the cursor.

By the way, if you're using a laptop and don't have enough video ports, plugable makes great USB-to-HDMI adapters.  I'm using their USB 3.0 model, and it's plenty fast.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:33 PM »

I made exactly that mistake -- a 30" Dell with 2560 x 1600 resolution. While it displays a ton of information, the distance from my eyes to the center of the display is quite a bit shorter than the distance to either edge, causing a lot of focus shifting and eye fatigue.

You have to be awful close to a display (too close) for that problem to develop!

My eyes are 24" from the center of the monitor, hardly "too close".
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:56:18 AM »

I have a video card with two outputs on my desktop and wondered why--until I connected the second monitor.  Now having multiple windows open isn't so bothersome when I'm searching for the windows I'm using.  Sorry to say it this way, but, Try it--you'll like it!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »

I disagree, too close for a large monitor. I like at least 30 inches from a laptop and 36 or more from a large display. The beauty of a large display is it does not have to be in your face. 

KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »

I disagree, too close for a large monitor. I like at least 30 inches from a laptop and 36 or more from a large display. The beauty of a large display is it does not have to be in your face. 
Based on this string of postings, it seems to me that W8JX has been blessed with supervision.
No way could I, a mere mortal with my bifocals, be 30" away from my laptop; 15" is more like it for me using either a laptop or monitor.
So then whether to use a single large monitor or multiple monitors may truly be driven by what works best for each individual's comfort.
73 Jerry KM3K
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

I use two 20.5" monitors configure on a vertical post style mount. The bottom monitor is directly over the main transceiver and I look straight at it with the other one being just above it with enough clearance to allow it to be tilted forward so as to when I look slightly up at it, I am looking more or less straight into it also. I wear reading glasses (1.75x) and find that the distance of appx 28-29" is perfect to see all of the screen, everything in focus and without requiring bobbing the head back and forth to see side to side on the monitors.

I use Dave AA6YQ's DX Lab suite and have DXKeeper (logging prg) with some other DX LAB app windows on the lower screen (main) and the Spotcollector prg and Commander (C.A.T. prg) on the upper. While probably 24" screens would be a bit better due to size over my 20.5", I had the 20.5's from a previous upgrade on a photo editting setup and used them. The space I had between the gear on the station console just gave me enough room to fit in the pair of 20.5" without having to move too much equipment around so that was a plus too.

You will find having 2 monitors in the shack just as useful as in other PC applications so I, for one, would say go for it.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »

Based on this string of postings, it seems to me that W8JX has been blessed with supervision.
No way could I, a mere mortal with my bifocals, be 30" away from my laptop; 15" is more like it for me using either a laptop or monitor.

Because maybe you have wrong power bifocals. I have a special pair reading glasses for 12 to 20 inch range but my normal ones are longer by choice. Right now I am 29 inches from a laptop and usually a bit further.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »

Yes, you can reduce the resolution so that 8-point fonts are readable from 30" away -- but if that's your objective, get a 24" lower-resolution monitor, sit closer, and save money. For those who want comfortable access to more information, multiple 24" 1920x1200 monitors positioned at an angle will like be superior to a single 30" or larger monitor. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 05:30:39 AM »

Yes, you can reduce the resolution so that 8-point fonts are readable from 30" away -- but if that's your objective, get a 24" lower-resolution monitor, sit closer, and save money. For those who want comfortable access to more information, multiple 24" 1920x1200 monitors positioned at an angle will like be superior to a single 30" or larger monitor. 

I do not reduce resolution/increase font size. As far as tw superior to a large single i guess it is if you want to twist head from side to side or shift eyes a lot also hunt for mouse too. Dual monitor can look impressive but a big single puts it all right in front of you. To each their own.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: