Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two antenna to a XCV  (Read 886 times)
AB1PJ

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:50:47 AM »

I am wondering, what is the best way to get this done:-

I will have two antennas stacked on the top of each other, with some sepration.
One will do 6-20m (2 ele hex beam) (lower) and other just 40m (rotatable dipole) (upper)
Each antenna will have its own coax feed and only one antenna is being used at any time
But both of them are on the same mast.

And i want to use only ONE COAX to go up the tower/pole.

PS> I understand using a switch at my shack and running two coax will do it, but that is not an option

What is the best way to get this done?

thank you
jim
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:06 AM »

This will do the trick: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-4712

This MFJ 2-position remote antenna switch uses a single coaxial feedline to feed two antennas, DC power and control signals -- no power or control cable needed.

It’s perfect for switching from HF to VHF (or two HF antennas) -- no more unplugging coaxial lines from your antennas just to switch frequency -- a quick switch does it for you.

MFJ-4712 covers 1.8 MHz-150 MHz and handles 1500 Watts. Impedance is 50-75 Ohms.

The compact 4W x 2 5/8H x 1 1/2D inch Outside Switch Box is fully enclosed and weather protected. It also has three quality Teflon(R) SO-239 connectors for transmitter, antenna one and antenna two.

It uses a Stainless steel 1 1/2” tall bracket with a U-bolt for masts up to 1 1/2 in. O.D. Inside remote control is 2 1/4W x 2 1/2H x 1 1/4 in.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »

Use a remote switch and place the switch at the top of the pole.  This one supports 2 antennas and does not require a control wire.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-4712

This one supports 4 antennas

http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=RCS-4L

Stephen
N5VTU

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »

I know you want to use ONE COAX up the pole BUT - I strongly suggest you mount whatever switch on which you decide, at ground level, or at least where you can get to it.  At some point the switch will fail, or a connector will loosen, or some other event will make you wish you did not have to take down the whole arrangement to get to the switch.  I have a 4 Position switch mounted at the bottom of my tower so I have one coax from it to the house and separate runs of coax up the tower and to the vertical I have (30M) and my 6M loop. I learned my lesson the hard way and will never mount a coax switch where I can not get to it.

Clint - W5CPT -
AB1PJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »

I know you want to use ONE COAX up the pole BUT - I strongly suggest you mount whatever switch on which you decide, at ground level, or at least where you can get to it.  At some point the switch will fail, or a connector will loosen, or some other event will make you wish you did not have to take down the whole arrangement to get to the switch.  I have a 4 Position switch mounted at the bottom of my tower so I have one coax from it to the house and separate runs of coax up the tower and to the vertical I have (30M) and my 6M loop. I learned my lesson the hard way and will never mount a coax switch where I can not get to it.

Clint - W5CPT -

That is a very good advice and i will make sure my switches are mounted at the bottom of the tower/pole for my home QTH.
But this application is for a portable system (camping) where i have to put up/take down the antenna every time i am camping.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »

I know you want to use ONE COAX up the pole BUT - I strongly suggest you mount whatever switch on which you decide, at ground level, or at least where you can get to it.  At some point the switch will fail, or a connector will loosen, or some other event will make you wish you did not have to take down the whole arrangement to get to the switch.  I have a 4 Position switch mounted at the bottom of my tower so I have one coax from it to the house and separate runs of coax up the tower and to the vertical I have (30M) and my 6M loop. I learned my lesson the hard way and will never mount a coax switch where I can not get to it.

Clint - W5CPT -

That is a very good advice and i will make sure my switches are mounted at the bottom of the tower/pole for my home QTH.
But this application is for a portable system (camping) where i have to put up/take down the antenna every time i am camping.

Given that bit of vital information, bring two coax runs to the bottom of whatever support structure you are using and use a manual antenna switch.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »

If you are out camping, how high are the antennas mounted?  You would be better off just using 2 runs of rg8x if you are not running any power say above 500 watts.

wn2c  Rick
AB1PJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »

If you are out camping, how high are the antennas mounted?  You would be better off just using 2 runs of rg8x if you are not running any power say above 500 watts.

wn2c  Rick

I haven't tried this yet. I am planning on 30' to 40' on a pushup aluminum pole made by spiderbeam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: