Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desk working height.  (Read 6289 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

I'm going to be moving to a new QTH in a few weeks, and have the opportunity to set up a real ham shack. Right now I'm not very active, but the plan is to begin to build a multi-use station that may see some contest or DX activity. Given that contesting especially will require a lot of time at the radio, I'm thinking of building a station desk that's fairly high and using a barstool for a chair. That way I could also switch off and stand from time to time without having to make big adjustments. I got the idea from seeing commercial radio stations, many of which will allow DJs to stand or sit depending on their preference.

Anyone else have this sort of setup? What are the pros and cons?
LA1BRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

I Use a bar stool, makes me feel at home hihi...Seriously, the bar stool had to be shortend just a bit so my knees would fit under.
My bench is 36 inches from the floor and 36 inches wide, it's also 16 feet long, two station setup.
A standard desk I think is 32 inches.
If you have a boom mike or something to move up and down, sure, set it up for standing or sitting. If you use a head set, same same.
The whole idea is to make it "your" shack, try it out, modify as needed.
Mine has gone through 7 or 8 design changes...I built mine with this in mind so if I wanted to change things up or add equipment, no problem.

also a suggestion, take your pen and pencil, draw up a plan for your AC and DC power distribution and also your station ground. this will also help you decide where the computer, monitor, power supplies, radios, etc will be fed from. then made sketch of how you want it to look when you sit/stand at the bench, you will be supprised how much room all our toys take up..

Enjoy the new shack, good luck and DX

tom
XE3 / KB5VWZ / LA1BRA
18.157.5 hf portable
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »

Most desktops are 28 to 30 inches off the floor.  However, if you're serious about building a desk/bench and want to know the height you'll need, you've got to decide on a chair or stool first.  If you're going to use a standard, adjustable office type chair, the 28 to 30 inches will do you just fine, but if you're going to use some other type of seat, you should sit on the seat and do some measuring and figuring, because some chairs are anything but standardized as to their height.  If you're going to use a computer and a pull out shelf for the keyboard, don't forget to figure that in when you measure the desktop height.

For example, a breakfast bar stool/chair will require a higher bench/desk than standard for you to be comfortable when you're sitting at it.

Start out with your choice of an ideal chair for the desk and work from there.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:33:49 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »

If you are the creative type, you could build the desk so it raises and lowers for your optimum height, standing or sitting.  Haven't seen it in a hamshack, but that is how our county dispatch center is set up, thought it was kinda neat.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:15 AM »

Not trying to argue, but with the weight of the desktop with the stuff (rigs and other things) some hams have on it, unless such a raising and lowering system could be made robust enough, having such a system could spell trouble.  If it should collapse..... 

Dispatch center positions typically have a control head equivalent and mike, a flat screen monitor and keyboard, and possibly a telephone panel on them.  Maybe twenty pounds of gear.  Some HF transceivers can weigh more than that--and that's only one piece of equipment.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »

I'm going to be moving to a new QTH in a few weeks, and have the opportunity to set up a real ham shack. Right now I'm not very active, but the plan is to begin to build a multi-use station that may see some contest or DX activity. Given that contesting especially will require a lot of time at the radio, I'm thinking of building a station desk that's fairly high and using a barstool for a chair. That way I could also switch off and stand from time to time without having to make big adjustments. I got the idea from seeing commercial radio stations, many of which will allow DJs to stand or sit depending on their preference.

Anyone else have this sort of setup? What are the pros and cons?
Hi,

I would scrap the bar stool idea and use a normal desk, and chair...  You can get so many different types of chairs, you are bound to find one that is more comfortable than a bar stool.  Remember, you will be sitting there for days in some contests...  I had a work desk once, which was as you mentioned, high, and using a bar type stool...  HATED IT over long time frames...  My back hurt...  If you need a break from contesting, walk around, get AWAY from the rig for 10 minutes...  Standing there is not a break!  I would really consider a more traditional approach prior to building and wiring a good ham station...  The final version is not the time to experiment, maybe build a makeshift version of the tall setup and try it first...

You might consider cutting a hole where you sit so you could put a chemical toilet under the chair...  You can't do that with a Bar Stool now can you?  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »

Not trying to argue, but with the weight of the desktop with the stuff (rigs and other things) some hams have on it, unless such a raising and lowering system could be made robust enough, having such a system could spell trouble.  If it should collapse..... 

Dispatch center positions typically have a control head equivalent and mike, a flat screen monitor and keyboard, and possibly a telephone panel on them.  Maybe twenty pounds of gear.  Some HF transceivers can weigh more than that--and that's only one piece of equipment.

That is certainly something to take into consideration.  I am sure it would probably cost a fortune to build something to hoist that much weight up and down.  But if someone had the time and resources to do it, it would be pretty cool.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »

You might consider cutting a hole where you sit so you could put a chemical toilet under the chair...  You can't do that with a Bar Stool now can you?  Smiley

Well, if you want to get all fancy, how about this:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6725/picture2gj8.jpg
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »

THAT'S IT!!!!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »

I use two 6' Norden kitchen tables from Ikea, end to end.  I have loaded them with boatanchors, both on the table and a low shelf running the length of the two tables.  These are handsome and incredibly sturdy.  I have an inexpensive, faux leather, padded swivelling desk chair from Staples, and a long headphone cable.  This way I can lean back in my chair, put my feet up on the table, and enjoy the warming glow of my old boatanchors. 

At first, I only had one of the tables, without the extension leaf.  I thought that would be plenty of room.  As that proved not to be the case, I then built a shelf...then put in the extension leaf...then went the route of two tables (without using the leafs, so they can support the big load). 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116872/

Good luck!  But remember: Don't fool yourself.  There never seems to be quite enough room for all those radios....

73, Tony
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »

THAT'S IT!!!!

Redneck heaven!!!
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »

THAT'S IT!!!!
Redneck heaven!!!
All you guys need now is a beer dispenser hat or a beer dispensing IV bag.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 05:11:26 AM »

All you guys need now is a beer dispenser hat or a beer dispensing IV bag.

Naw.  Won't keep the beer cold enough--or keep enough beer available!  A kegerator with a beer tap right beside the chair would be better!   Cheesy
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 04:56:17 PM »

I know one thing, I could not use a bar stool in my shack. I fall asleep too often while sitting in my nice leather office chair. I would be on the floor half the time if I had to sit on a bar stool.  Grin

My desk top is 29 inches from the floor. Works for me, I rarely sit with my legs under the desk.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:10:56 AM »

I know one thing, I could not use a bar stool in my shack. I fall asleep too often while sitting in my nice leather office chair. I would be on the floor half the time if I had to sit on a bar stool.  Grin

My desk top is 29 inches from the floor. Works for me, I rarely sit with my legs under the desk.

So much for the kegerator--we would be falling off the chair more than be sitting on it!

Seriously though, a good office chair with a decent lumbar support is what I have.  My computer desktop is 28 inches off the floor, my ham bench is 29.5 inches off, and the chair is on wheels and is at one desk or the other!  (the desks are side by side)  The only thing that I have for liquid refreshment is a small fridge--which has some beer AND some soft drinks in it.  BTW, Mountain Dew does good for me--caffeine and sugar to keep me going!  I wonder what's worse, the beer--or the Dew!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:14:52 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: