Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I did it... !  (Read 8054 times)
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 02:02:14 AM »

Dennis , anytime you want to try a sked e mail me , i'm not a million miles from you and my dipole is very good for "localised" stuff ,only work 40m though ..

billy
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »

"I did it...!"

Very true; the letter "I" in Morse code is "di dit"!
You'll never forget that letter ... Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »

Just had my very first CW QSO. If one could call that a QSO ha ha..  Cheesy

Didn't get the nice guys name right, and didn't get all jotted down right,
man was that a scary experience.

Suddenly i seemed to go completely blank, couldn't form letters right and so on.

Anyway managed to get the essentials and confirming QSL exchange.

The fellow UT5UIA , Serge was VERY patient. He must have laughed hard  Cheesy Cheesy

So, that was just my experience i wanted to share...

73 de OZ1LRI
Dennis

Thanks for sharing the moment. I too, have recently had my first CW QSO. I had very much the same "blanks" and mistakes while trying to copy the other station. I got every other letter ...if I was lucky.
I'm glad it's not just me...   Grin

M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »

Rick, if a shot of something strong or opening the key contacts to compensate for the shaky hand, the a keyboard is indeed the way to go.

It's a matter of being extremely nervous. Same can happen with the keyboard on PSK31 (or wherever), and used to happen even with phone contacts. Only way to get past the shakes is to get past the nervousness. A few hundred QSOs should do it...

Dennis , anytime you want to try a sked e mail me , i'm not a million miles from you and my dipole is very good for "localised" stuff ,only work 40m though ..

...and skeds might be a good way to get some of those few hundred; less pressure and so on.

What are good times and bands (or better, small frequency ranges) for short not too fast rookie QSOs in Europe? (I find 40 metres tends to be a bit of a bear-pit a lot of the time, especially at weekends.)

73, Rick
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 03:31:52 AM »

With arthritis developing in my thumbs pretty bad I see myself slowing down, making more mistakes and not able to carry on 30 minute contacts anymore. 

I see myself using a keyboard in the future, if I'm still living.

Al, I had the same problem. HAD not have it anymore. Look at Glucosamine in google.

Bob
NV9L

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

Congratulations! Well I am taking that very bold leap tomorrow night. I am a CW acedemy student with the CW Ops group and we're supposed to call CQ in their CWT bi-monthly contest. I wish I could hear as fast as I can send. It will probably be a crash and burn experience here too. Glad to see I will not be alone in my adventure. Or should I say mis-adventure? 

Valerie ~ NV9L
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »

Congratulations! Well I am taking that very bold leap tomorrow night. I am a CW academy student with the CW Ops group and we're supposed to call CQ in their CWT bimonthly contest. I wish I could hear as fast as I can send. It will probably be a crash and burn experience here too. Glad to see I will not be alone in my adventure. Or should I say misadventure?  

Valerie ~ NV9L

Good luck,

It is important to keep the sound of sigs alive that new breed is flowing in.
Don't make the error to sent as fast as you can, don't sent faster then you are able to receive.

Please report here your experience, it will help experienced operators to understand your difficulties.

An experienced operator is by definition a guy or gal that is able to copy faster then they can sent by paddles (and the slower straight key).

Bob
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:15:24 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:02 AM »

Congratulations! Well I am taking that very bold leap tomorrow night. I am a CW acedemy student with the CW Ops group and we're supposed to call CQ in their CWT bi-monthly contest. I wish I could hear as fast as I can send.

Valerie, congratulations!  I bet you'll have a BUNCH of fun!  You might want to try sending your CQ at no faster than you can copy, so people know what your comfortable working speed is.  But more important is to get out there, give it a try, and have some fun!  You'll miss a few letters here and there, I still do after 24 years, but I promise you, you'll have a great time!  73 GL!  -ken
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »

Fantastic!!!!

On my first QSO I was gripping my cheap key so hard it came apart.  I touched parts together to finish.

Now I do 99% CW.

73, JP, K8AG
OZ1LRI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:01 AM »

Congratulations! Well I am taking that very bold leap tomorrow night. I am a CW acedemy student with the CW Ops group and we're supposed to call CQ in their CWT bi-monthly contest. I wish I could hear as fast as I can send. It will probably be a crash and burn experience here too. Glad to see I will not be alone in my adventure. Or should I say mis-adventure? 

Valerie ~ NV9L

Good luck Valerie...!

I sent somewhat slower than i can copy. I think that was a very good idea. If i had sent as fast as i can copy,
i don't think i could have completed the qso. Better to have some margin i think. My counterpart did send a little faster than i did so...

But, best of luck. You will love it :-)

Dennis
OZ1LRI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:44 AM »

billy

Thanks Billy, i just might do that...:-)

Dennis
NV9L

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

Good luck Valerie...!

I sent somewhat slower than i can copy. I think that was a very good idea. If i had sent as fast as i can copy,
i don't think i could have completed the qso. Better to have some margin i think. My counterpart did send a little faster than i did so...

But, best of luck. You will love it :-)

Dennis
[/quote]

That's great advice on sending slower than I can receive. We have to learn using a straight key (while my brand new paddle collects dust) so sending slow should be easy. Not loving it...yet. The word right now is terrified. I think I will always enjoy phone, since SSB give me that 5db YL advantage.  Cheesy
NV9L

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »

Congratulations! Well I am taking that very bold leap tomorrow night. I am a CW academy student with the CW Ops group and we're supposed to call CQ in their CWT bimonthly contest. I wish I could hear as fast as I can send. It will probably be a crash and burn experience here too. Glad to see I will not be alone in my adventure. Or should I say misadventure?  

Valerie ~ NV9L

Good luck,

It is important to keep the sound of sigs alive that new breed is flowing in.
Don't make the error to sent as fast as you can, don't sent faster then you are able to receive.

Please report here your experience, it will help experienced operators to understand your difficulties.

An experienced operator is by definition a guy or gal that is able to copy faster then they can sent by paddles (and the slower straight key).

Bob

Well I made 3 successful QSO's in PA, TX and IL on 40m. It was terrifying, but I am now over my fear. As far as experienced operators wanting to understand our difficulties, I would have to say I had no issues with the ops that came back to me. They were very patient and wonderful.

My only gripe was having my frequency taken over. Naturally I would move, because I had no clue what they were saying at that speed. Only to have it taken over again. This kept happening the entire time I was on 40 meters. About 6-8 times in 45 minutes. I had a great signal too. Only 1 guy had the courtesy to send a question mark, the others did not. The one that did send a question mark, sent is so fast. By time I comprehended what he sent, he was already CQing. Perhaps when checking to see if a frequency is open everyone could send the question mark a bit slower, so every level CW operator has a chance to know what you sent and respond.  ~ Valerie 
OZ1LRI

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »

[/quote]

Well I made 3 successful QSO's in PA, TX and IL on 40m. It was terrifying, but I am now over my fear. As far as experienced operators wanting to understand our difficulties, I would have to say I had no issues with the ops that came back to me. They were very patient and wonderful.

My only gripe was having my frequency taken over. Naturally I would move, because I had no clue what they were saying at that speed. Only to have it taken over again. This kept happening the entire time I was on 40 meters. About 6-8 times in 45 minutes. I had a great signal too. Only 1 guy had the courtesy to send a question mark, the others did not. The one that did send a question mark, sent is so fast. By time I comprehended what he sent, he was already CQing. Perhaps when checking to see if a frequency is open everyone could send the question mark a bit slower, so every level CW operator has a chance to know what you sent and respond.  ~ Valerie 
[/quote]

Congrats ... !

Yeah, sometimes they can be pretty quick to start transmitting after QRL or ? ..  Huh

I guess that sometimes its a matter of them simply not hearing me and/or others, since i am only putting 10w out, or because of my lousy antenna :-)
However, i suspect i will be better at handling these confusing situations as my speed gets better, but right now it sometimes feels like standing still in the middle of a freeway...  Shocked ha ha.

Anyway, congratulations with your first contacts, and hopes for many more...   Grin

Vy 73 de
Dennis

K7TPD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »

Congrats!!! That's how everyone's first one goes Smiley Now let the addiction begin!! Have fun, I will look for you on the CW bands!!

73, Tom K7TPD
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: