Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Beat Buyers  (Read 27809 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 07:12:47 AM »

I consider tire kickers and dead beats two different types. I consider myself a tire kicker in that if I see something I am interested in, I like to communicate with the seller. There are a couple of reasons for this.

One is to find out if the ad is legitimate. With all the scams going on, most often a scammer will be too eager to just dump it on me and tell me to not waste his/her time.

The second reason is that I like to negotiate a price and or shipping. If the seller tells me that I am wasting my time, then that person is probably not worth dealing with.

I agree a dead beat is someone who says they will make the deal and fail to do that. But then that is what they are.

Please don't confuse the 2 types of people. If you can not tolerate those who want to communicate with you, then please don't waste my time by posting an add. I look at a trading forum as an electronic swapfest. I don't see many people at a swapfest just hand over big bucks without at least some conversation about the item. The same should be true in any sales forum.

The seller should be willing to "sell" his item. Not just post it and figure the money will just show up. Ever buy a house or car or other large ticket item that way? Why should an expensive radio related item be different?
I agree 100%, well put...  If I can't communicate with the seller, I move on, it is simple...  I want to get to know him/her just slightly, to insure no scam, no deadbeat seller, etc...  I tend to call the sellers to insure they are real...  That way I can get everything done in one call...  If an ad does say "firm" I believe them...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »

On the other hand, anyone looking for ham equipment online may already know what the going price for a rig is.  With today's computers and smart phones--and the internet, it's easy to find out.  Asking for more may cause that person to go right by your ad, no matter what you're asking and even if you're willing to negotiate.

I guess that I'm from a different mindset than you are.  I won't offer a lower price to the seller who is asking near the going price since I believe that the person knows what the rig is worth in his view--and I mean how its been treated or if it's got any quirks or other problems.  I'll simply ask if he could do any better, and if he refuses, I'll decide to move on or to buy.  

Maybe I'm a dying breed, but I consider it a form of insult to be asked to take a specific amount less than I've got it listed for.  I know what my equipment is worth and I'm honest enough to not to try and 'take' someone for more, or to waste someone's time bickering about a few dollars.  If someone gives me a call or drops me an e-mail, I'm friendly--until I'm insulted--and even then, I'm not going to bite someone's head off, I'll just either accept or refuse his offer.  I treat fellow hams the same way when I'm buying.  Hey--If that makes me a 'grump' in your book, all I can do is to say "Thank you!"  73.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:47:38 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:48 AM »

I don't buy that argument. The pricing on the internet does not reflect condition or amount of use. A beat to heck barely working rig is not going to be worth the same as a pristine, well taken care of rig. So it it the customers judgment of what it is worth to them.

Again, if your insulted by a low offer, then your NOT a salesman. A salesman works at the art of negotiation. Just state that you don't negotiate then. Its your way or the highway!

That's the way it has been working at swapfests for many years. Negotiation. Give it a try! You may find it can get you the money you want, and have some fun doing it. Maybe the grumps should be the dying breed!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:04 AM »

Maybe they should be the dying breed, and no, I'm no salesman--and I don't want to be.  All too many of them are money grubbing SOBs that would jyp their own mothers.  

I rather have my fun by arguing over conditions or discussing contacts made rather than arguing over ten or twenty dollars.  It seems that the only thing I agree with you on is that the pricing on the internet can't actually show you what the radio is like.  Also, I do state that I will not negotiate--by saying $xx FIRM.  73.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 06:08:58 AM »

That's the problem in a nutshell. You consider it an argument to negotiate. I don't.

And like i said originally, if it says FIRM and I don't like it, I move on. But don't make blanket accusations because you consider it arguing. If you have a beef with an individual, that's between you two. Not all people in general.

Have fun! Lets make a deal!!!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 03:28:00 AM »

I'll stand by what I said concerning most salesmen.  'Blanket' accusations?  Gee, I thought I was pretty specific.  S - A - L - E - S - M - E - N !

BTW, If one person says that he wants one price for the goods and the other still is trying to negotiate, just what do you call it if not an argument?  

"I will take XX dollars."

"Well, would you consider..."

"No, I won't go lower."

"How about..."

Sounds like an argument to me!   Cheesy
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »

Gee you must have forgotten what you originally posted. Was pretty "blanket" to me. Which is why I posted back. And as for the argument, only a bitter person would consider negotiation as an argument. If the shoe fits......

If you really don't want to argue, prove it by ending your anger here. I tried once to end it, but you continued. So sad for you.

Lets put the fun back in ham radio. Lets make a deal!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »

'FIB, I don't believe that you really know what anger is.  At least you're not able to tell the difference between anger and a civil conversation, which is what this was--unless you're a salesman!  Hihi.  BTW, who says I'm bitter?  Seems like only one--you.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »

Lets put the fun back in ham radio. Lets make a deal!
Too me, a lot of ham radio is trying to locate a decent deal...  However, if the person indicates in writing or verbally that they are not willing to go down in price, I either buy the item, or tell them thank you and move on...  I cease all negotiations once the words firm, (or it's ilk), enters the picture...  I assume that the person on the other end is smart enough to accept the conscienceless of their words...  If he/she says firm, then that's it, the price is firm...  

If the price is too high, then I sometimes don't even ask if the price is firm, I just move on assuming that the person erroneously believes they have "gold"...  I expect to pay up to 75% of new for an item...  I will go higher if it is in exceptional shape, but it has to be almost new, and I have to really want it...  When I sell an item, I try and get as much as possible for it, within reason...

With the advent of eBay, and on-line sales sites, the prices of equipment have flattened out across the US...  Several decades ago, I knew a fellow that would drive to the East coast, buy antique clocks for a few bucks each, drive back to California, and sell them for for a 500% markup, and get that for as many clocks as he could carry...  Then came eBay...  That ended almost instantly...  The overall affect of on-line sales sites has been to equalize the prices across the US for the most part...  It also, tends to float item price higher as an item is actually sold for what the market will withstand, not an error on the sellers part...  i.e. an item gets listed really cheap on QRZ, or here, it is gone instantly...  An item gets listed for way too much, it sits unsold...  The prices tend to center on the actual value of the item as perceived by the market involved...  All of this is to be viewed in a statistical way...  i.e. you will find exceptions, but on the whole, that is how the market now performs...

As an aside, CJS really does not sound bitter, he sounds like a normal person...  Well...  Almost normal...  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:45:35 AM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 08:00:22 AM »

...If the price is too high, then I sometimes don't even ask if the price is firm, I just move on assuming that the person erroneously believes they have "gold"...  I expect to pay up to 75% of new for an item...  I will go higher if it is in exceptional shape, but it has to be almost new, and I have to really want it...  When I sell an item, I try and get as much as possible for it, within reason.....

I was at a hamfest once and noticed that someone had an Icom V8000 out for sale.  The price was really high for used gear, though.  I asked him about it and he told me that he used it for a couple of days, didn't like it--and the store wouldn't take it back. 

When I told him I was interested, he turned around and pulled out the box with ALL of the packing materials, supplied parts still in their sealed bags, and paperwork--AND with the BOS dated a little over two weeks previously!  He cheerfully hooked it up and showed me it was working like new, then said he didn't put the box and other stuff out because he figured that anyone who was serious would ask--and he didn't feel like dealing with 'tire kickers' (his words) that saw the packaging and wanted to try to talk him down.

Well, he didn't have to worry about them because I bought it then and there--but there were a couple of people who stopped to look once they saw the original box out!  Guess he knew what he was doing.   Cheesy

BTW, Thank you!  Hey, I'm a ham, and we're all a little crazy, aren't we?   Roll Eyes
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »

"There is a sucker born every minute." P.T. Barnum
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »

Maybe they should be the dying breed, and no, I'm no salesman--and I don't want to be.  All too many of them are money grubbing SOBs that would jyp their own mothers. 

I rather have my fun by arguing over conditions or discussing contacts made rather than arguing over ten or twenty dollars.  It seems that the only thing I agree with you on is that the pricing on the internet can't actually show you what the radio is like.  Also, I do state that I will not negotiate--by saying $xx FIRM.  73.

For some of us though, 10 or 20 dollars is more than just pocket change as you suggest Smiley
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 04:46:42 AM »

For some of us though, 10 or 20 dollars is more than just pocket change as you suggest Smiley

True enough, but I was referring to the arguing rather than the money.  I live paycheck to paycheck for the most part too.
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 11:25:39 AM »

As of late, I have run into some real ahole sellers.  They post something, I approach them, in one case, with the exact item the individual is looking for.  Nothing, no response no email or anything.  What is their problem?

I absolutely love the losers that post something for sale and weekly, keep bringing down the price $25, $50, whatever, until when you do a search on a forum on that item, you find 10 posts from the same retard, on the same item, each a decreasing price.  Are they too lazy to respond to a potential buyer?  Are they too stupid to delete on postings when they make a new one identical to the older one? 

I am seriously thinking of just sticking with Ebay to buy or sell something.  You know how long it will be listed, you know how much you want for it, you know about what an item is worth to bid on it, so at least, you will have closure in the end, either selling or not selling your item for your minimum price, or buying something for the price you set to purchase it under.  Much less hassle.  There also is some protection off Ebay whereas on a swap board, who knows....
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 04:28:27 PM »

"There is a sucker born every minute." P.T. Barnum

Do some research and you'll find P.T. never said that.   Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: