Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS Question  (Read 42609 times)
KK6CHE

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »

First off, Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to amateur radio and soaking it up like a sponge.  I picked up a Kenwood TM-D710A a few weeks ago, what a great radio.

I do have a question in regards to APRS though.  Can I setup a private APRS network?  I am thinking this could be helpful when I go off with the Jeep club to keep an eye (so to speak) on the other members in the group without bogging down the main APRS system.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Jeff
KK6CHE

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »

I wouldn't worry about 'bogging down the system'.  It can handle it.

Rick  wn2c
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:33:54 AM »

I would not worry about bogging down the system either.  What might worry you is dealing with all of the other stations you might not care about.  To fix this, just have everyone on an alternative frequency.  Just make sure that it's a normal packet frequency that isn't being used in your area.  I'd try 145.05 or something near that.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »

Can you set up a 'private' APRS?  Sure, as long as you pick an unused frequency and expect to be interfered with occasionally (and keep it 'amateur').  Can you expect to set up an interference free system?  Nope, you can't expect that on any amateur band, not even 144.390 Mhz.
 - Paul
AK4GA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »

Can you set up a 'private' APRS?  Sure, as long as you pick an unused frequency and expect to be interfered with occasionally (and keep it 'amateur').

Absolutely. You can even try to look for activity on 144.99 MHz, the QRP/half duplex APRS input to see if it is implemented in your area. If it is not, set up your digi for it.
KB0OXD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »

Conceivably you could use frequencies in the All-Mode portion of any band for something like this AS LONG AS you pick one that's not in use BY anyone/anything else FOR anything else.  Depending on the size of your private group & where everyone else is, the frequency your group chooses would have to be one that's not in use ANYWHERE !!  In different parts of the country (Or even a state), this can be a difficult thing to identify

To make this job easier, I would look at different bands as well as different frequencies.  For example, 6 meters doesn't get much use REGARDLESS OF MODE yet many people wonder why that is.  What many of these people don't realize that if they've got one of those snazzy HT's capable of TXing on 6 meters, THEY CAN SET UP AN APRS DIGI THERE as long as it's either in the Digital or All-Mode portion of the band

Either way, it all depends on how creative you are & wanna be

But in any case, it boils down to this - IF WE DO NOT WANNA LOSE THE SPECTRUM WE HAVE - WE GOTTA USE IT !!!

Cheers & 73 Grin

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »

My question about APRS is this:Why would anyone want a way for people to track them that anyone can look up the information? In the world we live in today you are showing the entire world(If they want to look you up)that you are away from home.May as well take out an ad in the local newspaper telling everyone you will be out of town & don't forget too also post it on your Facebook & Twitter accounts as well.I worked in the Criminal Justice System here in Florida for 30 years & those Criminals LOVE people just like you because you make their lives so much easier.Not every Ham,Twitter or FB Friend,or person tracking people around the world on APRS is a GOOD GUY or GIRL & for sure those in the crime business as they call it are making a good living off of people just like you every day.Laughing at you because you are so HIGH TECH giving them free access to your belongings without hesitation or a second thought.BIG BROTHER does not need too track you because you are doing it for them for FREE.If your home or property has been broken into while you were away & you are using APRS, FB & Twitter it may be that you told them you were away & they knew right where you were & knew there were no worry of you coming in & catching them.Don't make the criminals life easier THINK before you give them the keys to your lives.

Clayton
W4KVW   
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »

My question about APRS is this:Why would anyone want a way for people to track them that anyone can look up the information? In the world we live in today you are showing the entire world(If they want to look you up)that you are away from home.May as well take out an ad in the local newspaper telling everyone you will be out of town & don't forget too also post it on your Facebook & Twitter accounts as well.I worked in the Criminal Justice System here in Florida for 30 years & those Criminals LOVE people just like you because you make their lives so much easier.Not every Ham,Twitter or FB Friend,or person tracking people around the world on APRS is a GOOD GUY or GIRL & for sure those in the crime business as they call it are making a good living off of people just like you every day.Laughing at you because you are so HIGH TECH giving them free access to your belongings without hesitation or a second thought.BIG BROTHER does not need too track you because you are doing it for them for FREE.If your home or property has been broken into while you were away & you are using APRS, FB & Twitter it may be that you told them you were away & they knew right where you were & knew there were no worry of you coming in & catching them.Don't make the criminals life easier THINK before you give them the keys to your lives.

Clayton
W4KVW   

And yet the forum isn't filled up with nightmare stories of hams being robbed when they run out to the store. Criminals that break into homes generally don't know that ham radio exists, let alone risk that you're not just tracking your wife to make sure she stays faithful. And who's to say I don't have an alarm system, big dog, or just maybe I live in a nice town not a junkie-filled hell hole like south Florida.

But the reality is there are plenty of people tracking our locations all the time. Own a cell phone? OK, there's one location source (even when powered off, if there's a battery installed it can and likely is being tracked). Do you drive a car with a license plate? Not only do the cameras track you as you travel, anyone can just follow you around and a few enterprising friends can do a fairly good job of tracking you without much coordination. And don't tell me that everyone who has access to all that cell phone and DOT camera data is a boy scout. I'm sure you are/were a good cop, and I'm every bit as sure you could name a few bad cops too. In retail, the largest amount of theft is the employees. While I don't think there's anywhere near the same statistic amongst the police, I also have to think there's temptation for abuse of the tools available.

I will have to agree with Bob Brunninga on this though, position reporting was not the primary point of APRS in his mind, but basically a way to tell everyone what you're up to. So instead of just beaconing your location all day, you'd say you were listening on the local repeater and puttering around the shack. Or maybe that you're working an opening to Europe on 10 Meters. And it wasn't meant to broadcast your location all over the world via the Internet either.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:56:45 AM »

Speaking of being tracked: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/business/attention-shopper-stores-are-tracking-your-cell.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

APRS is one of the things I worry about the least. If I want to be tracked by it, I turn it on. If not, I turn it off. It's one of the few (perhaps, the only) tracking methods I still have control over. As JEG points out, there are so many other ways we are being tracked. I was just looking at my [online] toll receipts. They log the date and time (to the second) I passed the toll transponders--good thing I wasn't doing anything wrong.

When it comes to being robbed, APRS is way to complicated and uncertain when there are much easier low-tech methods, such as just watching for the houses whose lights don't come on at night.

If you want things to worry about, statistically, you should worry more about your diet and exercise to reduce the chances of heart disease than worry that a criminal is tracking your APRS movements to do harm to your life or property.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »

And yet the forum isn't filled up with nightmare stories of hams being robbed when they run out to the store. Criminals that break into homes generally don't know that ham radio exists, let alone risk that you're not just tracking your wife to make sure she stays faithful. And who's to say I don't have an alarm system, big dog, or just maybe I live in a nice town not a junkie-filled hell hole like south Florida.

But the reality is there are plenty of people tracking our locations all the time. Own a cell phone? OK, there's one location source (even when powered off, if there's a battery installed it can and likely is being tracked). Do you drive a car with a license plate? Not only do the cameras track you as you travel, anyone can just follow you around and a few enterprising friends can do a fairly good job of tracking you without much coordination. And don't tell me that everyone who has access to all that cell phone and DOT camera data is a boy scout. I'm sure you are/were a good cop, and I'm every bit as sure you could name a few bad cops too. In retail, the largest amount of theft is the employees. While I don't think there's anywhere near the same statistic amongst the police, I also have to think there's temptation for abuse of the tools available.

I will have to agree with Bob Brunninga on this though, position reporting was not the primary point of APRS in his mind, but basically a way to tell everyone what you're up to. So instead of just beaconing your location all day, you'd say you were listening on the local repeater and puttering around the shack. Or maybe that you're working an opening to Europe on 10 Meters. And it wasn't meant to broadcast your location all over the world via the Internet either.
[/quote]

APRS is not just for hams since many folks use it on the cell phones as well & the public has access to that info.NO I don't own a cell phone & would not if you paid the bill.Not everyone has access to peoples tag information in most cases that is Law Enforcement ONLY.As anyone knows the Liberal & Biased media only post stories in many cases that improves their reader rates & numbers so peoples homes being robbed would fall far down the list.I have read many stories from friends on FB where homes were broken into while folks were away on vacation & that they had posted this info on FB.Keep thing that the Criminals are stupid & you will become a victim & a statistic as well.My posting was for a fair heads up warning but feel free to ignore it.As I said,"Criminals LOVE folks just like you & are hoping everyone would be just like you".At least when I'm away I have someone looking after my home & properties & I don't advertise when I'll be away except in person to a couple of VERY close friends & family in case of emergencies.

Clayton
W4KVW   
W4CKR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

APRS is not just for hams since many folks use it on the cell phones as well & the public has access to that info.NO I don't own a cell phone & would not if you paid the bill.Not everyone has access to peoples tag information in most cases that is Law Enforcement ONLY.As anyone knows the Liberal & Biased media only post stories in many cases that improves their reader rates & numbers so peoples homes being robbed would fall far down the list.I have read many stories from friends on FB where homes were broken into while folks were away on vacation & that they had posted this info on FB.Keep thing that the Criminals are stupid & you will become a victim & a statistic as well.My posting was for a fair heads up warning but feel free to ignore it.As I said,"Criminals LOVE folks just like you & are hoping everyone would be just like you".At least when I'm away I have someone looking after my home & properties & I don't advertise when I'll be away except in person to a couple of VERY close friends & family in case of emergencies.

Clayton
W4KVW   

First off - an APRS beacon leaving a house isn't at all like a Facebook post saying 'I'm going on Vacation for 2 weeks with the whole family!' - which means your whole house is empty for quite some time. It's much closer to a facebook post saying 'Goin' out for moment'. Where are they going? Fishin' for weekend? Or to the 7/11 three blocks away for milk? If you were a robber, do you like your odds that no one (and no one ELSE) will be home for long time in that case?

Secondly, the 'dangers' of this service is not what the OP posted about - I don't know if there are rules about staying on topic, but we are in left field here. If you want, create your own topic about this evil, foolish service. Or, better yet, just stay quiet about it and don't use it - and leave the rest of us to find out - all too late, when our whole lives are stolen in our absence - how dangerous it is.

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »

W4CKR,it appears you are a security EXPERT so I'll just leave the conversation as is.Guess you trust the Government as well because you know they are all trustworthy because we the public are their top priority? Just keep sending out your free info & good luck & don't worry about keeping that homeowners policy up to date. {:>)  Grin   Cheesy   Wink

Clayton
W4KVW
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:42 AM »

My question about APRS is this:Why would anyone want a way for people to track them that anyone can look up the information?

I believe you should have started a new thread with this question.  It is essentially unrelated to the original post's question:

Can I setup a private APRS network?  I am thinking this could be helpful when I go off with the Jeep club to keep an eye (so to speak) on the other members in the group without bogging down the main APRS system.

By "private APRS network," in the context of his next statement, he obviously isn't talking about privacy but, rather, keeping his traffic off the APRS "generic traffic highway" on 144.39.

My answer is yes, we locally have used the 70cm band for APRS for parades, putting a setup on every few floats to monitor the parade's general flow.  It allows us to use relatively low power without competition, as well as working quite effectively in the neighborhood of tall buildings and urban canyons.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:37:54 AM by N3HFS » Logged
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 05:44:07 AM »

Can I setup a private APRS network?  I am thinking this could be helpful when I go off with the Jeep club to keep an eye (so to speak) on the other members in the group without bogging down the main APRS system.

By "private APRS network," in the context of his next statement, he obviously isn't talking about privacy but, rather, keeping his traffic off the APRS "generic traffic highway" on 144.39.

My answer is yes, we locally have used the 70cm band for APRS for parades, putting a setup on every few floats to monitor the parade's general flow.  It allows us to use relatively low power without competition, as well as working quite effectively in the neighborhood of tall buildings and urban canyons.

That's not only allowed, it's encouraged!
K0GDI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »

If I don't want to be tracked I turn off my beacon.  Secondly, I have a PO Box listed in another city for my FCC license.  And finally, I always shut my beacon off about 5 miles before I make my turn down my local highway.  Also there is an option of Ambiguity that will set your location off by 1.2 miles or more.  Just depends on which setting you choose.  It's call be smart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: