Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine noise only on HF???  (Read 3235 times)
AE5KH

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »

I am running a IC7000 with a Little Tarheel II antenna and I am getting really bad engine noise but only on the HF side. No noise on the ANT2 VHF/UHF side. Anybody can shed some light on this. It sounds like a really loud helicopter/chopper sound and it increases frequency and pitch when I drive. Absolutely no noise on the VHF/UHF side of the radio. I checked the ground on the antenna and I have continuity between the truck bed and the shield side of the antennas mount. tested from the truck bed to the shield of the connector at the radio.

The other problem I am having is I can't tune the antenna to 40 meter or higher, When I key to check the SWR the radio shuts down. It tunes just fine on 20 meter and above.

Please help if you can.....

Kenny
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »

what kind of car and age?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AE5KH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »

2011 F 250
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »

Go to K0bg.com and read Allan's web page on bonding, and chokes.  Oh and by the way, did you put in that little screw on the seperation cable at the radio head?  That is I assume you have the head off the radio.  Allan's site has a lot of usefull info for the HF mobileer.

Rick  wn2c
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »

2011 F 250

Gas or diesel?  The oil burners injection system can make a lot of RFI.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »

Go to K0bg.com and read Allan's web page on bonding, and chokes. 

Thumbs up on that answer--it's the best starting point I know of.   Most people probably don't want to follow all of Allan's advice, it's a lot of work.  (I know *I* dont, because I'm lazy.)   But knowing the basics, and the RIGHT way to approach them, is a really good starting point for whatever you try.  73 GL!   -ken
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »

Broken record time:

Go to Allan's site stated above. My Dodge Ram diesel gave me all kinds of noise until I followed not all, but most of his suggestions. I did as much as I could afford, a little at a time, and the biggest improvement was after I bonded the bed, cab, and exhaust to the frame the best I could. S9 noise went to S1 on good days and at the worst I still have S2-S3 noise. BIG HUGE DIFFERENCE in all aspects of HF mobile!

As a side note, if the your diesel is common rail fed, check for any wiring that is loose or broken. Also  have your alternator checked for bad wiring. Sounds like RFI from something under the hood as you mentioned that it speeds up with RPM.

Google Ford TSA and see if any issues have been acknowledged and addressed.
Ford also may have an installation guide for your particular truck for shops that install radios. Dodge does so I am not sure.
Google IS your friend here.

A good place to check also is a Ford truck forum with people that run mobiles. Stay away from the Chicken Bander sites as it seems that they all claim bogus stats and direct you to their favorite antenna or radio shop......

Hope this helped even a little.

Joe / AJ3O
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »

Ken, you need to spend some quiet time reading Alan's website.
You've been referred to www.k0bg.com on numerous occasions.
Should you invest a little bit of your time reading the info on Alan's site, then you would have
been able to circumvent a lot of these hiccups that you're now experiencing.
The majority of us that are enjoying the experiences of going Mobile, has spent time reading
up on what Alan has to offer on his site.

There is more fun in knowing how to Fish, than being given a Fish.

((((73)))) Milverton. 
AE5KH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »

I took the advice of K0BG the other day and ordered some materials to start working on bonding the cab and bed and exhaust. I also ordered better ferrite beads to install on my control cable. thank you guys for the direction and help, I will let you know how it goes.

Kenny
KC7DCW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

I followed the advice of Tom W8JI (read his site on PSD noise) on his 2002 F250 and Alan's site.  I run a 2003 F350 with the 7.3 PSD. I ran bonding straps at each point of the bed to frame, two straps from cab to frame, two straps from cab to bed.  The exhaust is grounded at three seperate locations, one as close to the block as I can get, one about 1' in from the end and one in the middle.  I also ran a strap from the transmission (strap placed between the tranny and flywheel cover and used the flywheel cover bolt) to the frame. Two straps from hood to fender panels. I am able to run HF on 6-80 with very little noise, it does not even register on the meter, its audible (barely) but very very bearable.

I have a ICOM 706 with a Hi-Q 4/80. Antenna is mounted in the same location as Tom's with a Breedlove Stake Pocket Mount. Ford trucks are not ham friendley, just takes time and patience.

Its the injectors causing the noise, read Tom's site about it.

BTW, huge thanks to Tom and Alan for the advice they have ont he web.  There is also advice on the FTE forums concerning HF and the PSD.
AE5KH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »

KC7DCW,
    I am waiting on materials to come in the mail, I read both Allen's information and Tom's information and planned to do everything you mentioned except the transmission, but it sounds like a good idea.

Can I ask, How exactly did you attach the ground straps to the frame of the truck? How much braided wire did you use? I only ordered 25 ft to start with but looking at all of this info I might need to buy another roll.

AE5KH
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »

KC7DCW,
    I am waiting on materials to come in the mail, I read both Allen's information and Tom's information and planned to do everything you mentioned except the transmission, but it sounds like a good idea.

Can I ask, How exactly did you attach the ground straps to the frame of the truck? How much braided wire did you use? I only ordered 25 ft to start with but looking at all of this info I might need to buy another roll.

AE5KH
>>> How exactly did you attach the ground straps to the frame of the truck? <<<

Refer back to ...... http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html#how

((((73)))) Milverton.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »

run the radio on clips to the battery for this little test... find a nice quiet space on the dial, insert the key, and turn it to the ON position to start the fuel pump motor on a gas engine vehicle.  if you get a raspy whine that cuts out after a few seconds, you also have fuel pump noise.  with plastic tanks, that's a devil to get rid of, especially since there is no access at the terminals without draining and removing the fuel tank.  something most service shops won't do inside, period.  too many burn down.

you're left with doing caps and clamp-on ferrites wherever you can get to the leads.
KC7DCW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »

All but one ground strap was less then 12", tinned on both ends. I used a 1" width.  All stainless steel (316) hardware was used and I was able to use exisisting holes in the frame to mount everything. Use either external or internal tooth washers.

The strap from the tranny to the frame was 13 1/5".  For the exhaust straps I used stainless steel muffler clamps to hold the strap onto the exhaust system.  My biggest improvement in noise drop was the strap located on the exhaust system closest to the block and the strap on the tranny to the frame.
AE5KH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »

How did you attach strap to the transmission? I have to see if I can find existing holes On my frame Close to the body. also the size of the holes .
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: