Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Couple Questions  (Read 3783 times)
VE5KJS

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Hi,

I've started brushing up on my CW again using software like NuMorse Pro and Morse Runner, and am thinking about making a QSO one of these days. (It's technically not my first one as I tried doing it years ago, but it didn't go well due to mistakes on my part, and I lost confidence as a result.) Before going ahead with the QSO, though, I've got a couple questions:

1. Are there any frequencies that are good for making slow-speed QSOs?

2. Since it's still winter, I'm wondering how one would give a temperature like -10 degrees Celsius with CW when discussing the weather? In other words, is there a symbol for the minus sign, or would you send something like "minus 10C"?

Thanks for your help.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia, VE5KJS
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »

Kelly:  Slow speed operation spots depends on the band.  The best way to find these areas is to simply listen.  On 40m you will find slow operation around 7030 to 7060KHz.  

As for the -40 Celsius.... I would simply use minus 40C.  

Listening to contacts in progress answers a lot of questions Kelly.  Welcome back and GL.  Hang in there this time and don't get discouraged.  Just remember, we all have our problems getting started in most things we do.... rather it's a CW contact or building a piece of gear.

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »

If it's really exactly 40° below zero, either Fahrenheit or Celsius, there's no need to specify which one.  Minus 40° is the only point where the two lines cross. Shocked

That said, and with the original temperature specified, just send "minus 10C".

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:31:14 PM »

Hi Kelly ; On 40m look for us slow-pokes around the novice portion from 7110 to 7120kcs. Send at the speed you are good at receiving. If you send faster you'll likely get that faster speed returned. It would be helpful to add 'QRS' in your CQ Call.
Also the SKCC web page lists QRS beginner's frequencies for all HF bands as well.. We'll listen out..73 Lane n8aft in Ohio.
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:58:58 AM »

I agree with what's been said , simply say minus , call for QRS also , most will slow down for you . above all don't make coming back a chore, try to enjoy the actual process of learning it  . i find too many people dread learning the code when they should be making it something they enjoy doing ..

billy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:01:21 AM by M0JHA » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:24:57 AM »

'The minus sign is dahditditditditdah

May be you better  don't use this and other punctuation iwith slow speed operators.

When you exercise with MP3 audio files containing book chapters, you automatically get used to the regular punctuation signs. However the exclamation mark is dependent on the coder, as far as I know there exist 3 codes for this ! mark.

And <AC> the  the latest added sign for "At Commercial" ,  the @ as used in email addresses translated from Dutch "monkey tail" to international morse code,  is then never heard.

Bob
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »

Morse code is like learning a new language. If you don't care how you sound, you will progress much faster. Just jump in and whatever happens happens. It's not like a life depends on it. You mess it up, so what?

-40C : NEG40C.

Gil.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

Hi Kelly

If you are afraid of the jitters again.
Try to practice with someone you know.
Make a sked and try a few times, it would help a lot if the one you are practicing with would make a standard QSO so he gets you to react in a more or less right way, and he will teach you how to save you from the biggest traps in QSO'íng.

Like others elready mentioned just look around on 40 and 80 mtrs for a slow going stations.
As I am in Europe our frequencies will not help you to much.

You might try 30 mtrs also as there are stations over here on 30 mtrs that do not go in high speed.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »

Keep this in mind,regardless of band if you send out a CQ it will most always be answered by an operator that will come down to your speed, since those that are not interested in doing so will not be answering your call anyway.Hang around QRP watering holes, a lot of Qrp guys are new like you and a vast majority of the rest are casual lower speed types who do not mind slowing down to anybodys speed.As stated before 30m is good,no contest there to work around and yes, go with the minus or above crowd (simple and understood)
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »

Kelly,
First, glad to hear you want to give the code another try. Second, on 40M from 7.100 to 7.120 there are a lot of slow ops. If you can't find a nice slow QSO or even if you can email me and we can setup a asked. I will be happy to send as slow as you need and repeat as many as you need. Don't hesitate to ask. A weekly slow asked has gotten a lot of hams up to speed and able to operate with confidence. 
KE7WAV
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:23:07 AM »

Morse code is like learning a new language. If you don't care how you sound, you will progress much faster. Just jump in and whatever happens happens. It's not like a life depends on it. You mess it up, so what?

-40C : NEG40C.

Gil.

This is sort of what I was going to post.
I am sure that most CW operators couldn't care less if you make mistakes. I sure that most CW operators don't care if you don't follow some exact protocol or proceedure.
I make mistakes, you make mistakes, we all make mistakes in every aspect of our lives including CW. I make mistakes every single time I go on the air.  When you are new to this, you think it is a big deal, but it isn't. I have a real hard time trying to convince new CW ops that this is the case. You arn't making a fool of yourself. We have all been there before. We know what it is like to be a new ham and a new CW op.

Contrary to what new ops think, WE get a big thrill out of working them. I have had the pleasure of working a guy for his first CW contact and it was great. I actually emailed some friends to tell them that I had the honor of being someone's first CW contact.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
VE5KJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks for answering my question about minus temperatures, and for the advice about getting back into CW. I'm still brushing up my receiving skills, but hope to make a QSO soon. I'll definitely keep everything in mind, and look forward to chatting with you on the air.

Thanks again.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly, VE5KJS
WA9CFK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »

I agree with W1JKA, The easiest thing to do it get on and send a CQ at the speed you are comfortable with, even if it is very slow. Those who wish to help will come back to you; those that are not interested will pass you by.

Obviously you may not get a reply every time but you will be surprised at the number of slow speed operators out there.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »

Anyone can slow down, not too many can speed up.  So, send at the speed that's comfortable for you.  If 'they' don't slow down, simply ask them to.
Have fun.
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: