Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting feet wet with mobile VHF/UFH dual bander  (Read 2299 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:52:32 AM »

I am about to dabble with my first mobile and was looking a a dual band recieve. I only have a 2M at home with is a GE programmable commercial rig re-done for ham 2M band.

I was looking at the FT-8800 or TM-V71A. I think the 8800 is dual band. The the 471A has me confused. Is it a dual or not?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:59:49 AM »

It is very easy these days to find out the information required using one of the fast search engines in the web  Grin

The 8800 is dual band, the TM-471A is 440 only.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:58 AM »

Actually, my bad. I meant TM-V71A.

My question is dual band receive which is what confused me. And believe me, is it wrong for people to assume that I did not use the search engine.

For the part that is my fault, what confused me (after I used the search engine), was this on Universal Radio's site:

The FT-8800 had V+U/V+V/U+U Dual Band Operation

The TM-V71A has dual receive on Same Band (VxV, UxU)

Now. The confusing part was the display of the TM-V71A. is is not supposed to have dual band receive on different bands, yet the display shows 2 different bands. Am I interpreting this wrong?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »

Looks like HRO had a different view entirely:

The TM-V71A is a true dual-band operation radio so VHF+VHF/VHF+UHF/UHF+UHF

The Kenwood website also shows "The TM-V71A is a true dual-band operation radio so VHF+VHF/VHF+UHF/UHF+UHF"

I guess I have my answer.

Well, since I used the search engines and the Universal Radio website came up first on Google and provided me wrong info, so much for the search engine theory.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:38:09 AM by N4NYY » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »

As an aside, if you do get that rig and a dual band mobile antenna, don't try to adjust the antenna for lowest SWR.  Antenna like that are factory adjusted for both bands and any readjustment to favor one band will throw the adjustment for the other band off.

Use the antenna as is, or if it comes in two pieces, assemble it as the factory recommends.  All too many hams try to adjust these antennas, and all they do is end up destroying their effectiveness on one band or the other--or both.  73!
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »

I think your question has been answer (everybody has days like that, don't feel too lonely).
As for a dual band antenna, most of them are sort of 'pre-adjusted' at the factory.  That means they are roughly tuned to the centers of the two bands.  None of them are ever guaranteed to be 'fully tuned', they can't be, too many variations in where/how they will be used.  Almost all of them could be tweaked a bit, but you'd better know what you're doing before you start, they can be a real PITA if you don't.  Unless something is really out in left field most will 'work' just fine.
Have fun.
 - Paul

KD5FPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:41:39 AM »

Hi, I chose the Kenwood TM-V71A dualband because it has a few features not found on other radios...yet.  These are obscure features that will only benefit you once you get into crossband repeating, but when you learn what crossband repeating can do for you, you WILL want those features.  The Yaesu FT-8800 is a good solid rig but there have been a few glitches noted depending on how you have certain features set, not a big deal really, but you should be aware of that, I've always been a die-hard Yaesu fan but the TM-V71A won me over. Both companys have good, easy to understand manuals, and the "feel" of the two radios is very similar, the way the menus are set up, etc., if you're comfortable with a Yaesu then you'll be comfortable switching over to a Kenwood. My advice on a dualband radio is to buy the radio that has the features that you will learn to use in the future, rather than to need them and not have them, again, this makes the TM-V71A the best choice, and there's only 10,000 FT-8800 owners that disagree with me, ha ha.  Try reading the article at the link I've included  below and maybe it can help you in your decision. Good Luck. 73 Mike

http://arvideonews.com/otherstuff/Crossband_Repeat.pdf
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »

...this makes the TM-V71A the best choice, and there's only 10,000 FT-8800 owners that disagree with me, ha ha....

Yeah, but think--there's 10,000 TM-V71A owners who AGREE with you!   Grin
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »

I went with the Yaesu.
KD5FPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »

I paid $450.00 for my TM-V71A a couple years ago, but I found out today about the Yaesu $70.00 rebate on the '8800 and the inclusion of the free remote mount kit, that's $390.00 from HRO (or $400.00 from AES).

So with that information I'd have to choose the FT-8800 now. What makes it even more painful is that I now have to spend another $45.00 for the remote kit for the TM-V71A. I just can't win.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »

I got the FT-8800 for the main reason that the mic plugs into the head. I have a car that has not dash area to put a fulk radio. It is going under the seat. For that reason, I went with the Yaesu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: