Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apache Labs  (Read 11868 times)
NK2F

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »

Not much discussion here on the new Apache Labs transceivers. It is worth following the Yahoo Group as there are some good discussions and new software announcements that are IMHO ground-breaking.

See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apache-labs/messages
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »

Not much discussion here on the new Apache Labs transceivers.
You are right about that, the hot item is the DVB-T Dongle with 114 posts and 23,936 views  Embarrassed.
I guess SDR is a mysterious thing for many and they are not ready to invest $1500.00-$2900.00 just to see what it is all about, $20.00 is OK but the performance cannot compare with the ANAN transceivers or the QSR1.
They also sell the OpenHPSDR Hermes board ($895.00) which is a 500mW full duplex exciter and is the base of the ANAN-10, ANAN-100. The ANAN-100D uses the Angelia board which is similar to Hermes but with 2 ADC (2 identical hardware receivers) and a more powerful FPGA.
Exciting times ahead!
Feel free to start a discussion, just posting a link is usually frowned upon and the topic is likely to be deleted.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »

I plan on picking up the Anan 10 or 100 in the near future, and if it goes well then spring for the 100D after selling off the lesser stuff.  I think bang for the buck, they are the best thing going on the market now for a high performance rig.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:31:36 AM »

Not much discussion here on the new Apache Labs transceivers. It is worth following the Yahoo Group as there are some good discussions and new software announcements that are IMHO ground-breaking.

What kind of kickback are you getting from Apache Labs for advertising their Yahoo Group on eHam?
NK2F

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:38:20 AM »

What kind of kickback are you getting from Apache Labs for advertising their Yahoo Group on eHam?

[/quote]

$10K per subscriber, pllus lifetime of free samosas. It's good for a decent living.

I think the hardware is less interesting than the software that is being discussed. cuSDR and the multi-RX version of PowerSDR sound ground-breaking. Quite a lot to be learned there.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »

Not much discussion here on the new Apache Labs transceivers.
You are right about that, the hot item is the DVB-T Dongle with 114 posts and 23,936 views  Embarrassed.
I guess SDR is a mysterious thing for many and they are not ready to invest $1500.00-$2900.00 just to see what it is all about, $20.00 is OK but the performance cannot compare with the ANAN transceivers or the QSR1.
They also sell the OpenHPSDR Hermes board ($895.00) which is a 500mW full duplex exciter and is the base of the ANAN-10, ANAN-100. The ANAN-100D uses the Angelia board which is similar to Hermes but with 2 ADC (2 identical hardware receivers) and a more powerful FPGA.
Exciting times ahead!
Feel free to start a discussion, just posting a link is usually frowned upon and the topic is likely to be deleted.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
Is it so surprising? Hams are, as a rule, pretty cheap. I learned that back in my days in the retail end of ham radio. A lot of hams are resistant to change as well. Some will go to their graves clutching outdated technology in their cold dead fingers. Hopefully there are hams who will invest the 20 bucks in the DVB-T dongle and like it and see the possibilities even with the limited performance. Then maybe some will have the wisdom and foresight to look into some of the more expensive alternatives.
Michael, W4HIJ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »

Joining a group just to be able to see what they are talking about is a bit much..
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:01:11 AM »

Start your own Apache group and set it to how you like.
[/quote]

Joining a group just to be able to see what they are talking about is a bit much..
[/quote]
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »

Do they take Paypal now?  I  wanted to order a Hermes but they did not take Paypal. They wanted me to use some Indian transaction processing system that I did not really trust.
Apache did indicate that they will be using Paypal in the future but I guess that has not worked out for them.

They have good products its a shame that they have used lousy 12 volt devices with poor IMD in their PA's The Hermes is capable of -50Dbc  3rd order IMD and they feed such a clean signal into
a useless 12  volt PA with poor IMD. What were they thinking ?

The only thing pan adapter radios will be good for soon is watching all the splatter on the ham bands. It wont be good for much
else because so many companies and hams have such a low level of technical understanding and reasoning. Actually its worst than that, they just dont even get it why TX IMD is such an important.

A group such as HPSDR should get it but all the folks on their groups make the same design mistake. They promote and use terrible  amplifier designs that have poor IMD performance. So whats the point of
having such good receivers when you cant use them  because of all the splatter? I think I will need to ask Batman that question.

PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »

Do they take Paypal now?  I  wanted to order a Hermes but they did not take Paypal. They wanted me to use some Indian transaction processing system that I did not really trust.
Ordered Hermes at the end of January and paid via Paypal, no problem whatsoever.
Regarding the PA I totally agree with you but I have also seen you rating about IMD for years.
Why don't you design one instead of spending all this time ranting? Ham radio manufacturers do not seem to really care about that.
Suggestion:
MRFE6VP6300HSR3 directly driven by Hermes -> 150W out with excellent IMD and indestructible.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

The only thing pan adapter radios will be good for soon is watching all the splatter on the ham bands. It wont be good for much
else because so many companies and hams have such a low level of technical understanding and reasoning. Actually its worst than that, they just dont even get it why TX IMD is such an important.
Not so: once you get your Hermes and build your 50V LDMOS PA you build an RF tap, connect it to your PA, connect the whole thing to a dummy load. You eventually connect an attenuator to your RF tap so you can connect it safely to the RX connector of Hermes and download the single RX version of HPSDR PowerSDR which can do full duplex. Voila, you can adjust your PA for the best IMD and instead of ranting you can brag on how fantastic is the IMD of your PA.

Don't forget, you also get a free VNA with Hermes.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 02:44:53 PM »

Not so: once you get your Hermes and build your 50V LDMOS PA you build an RF tap, connect it to your PA, connect the whole thing to a dummy load. You eventually connect an attenuator to your RF tap so you can connect it safely to the RX connector of Hermes and download the single RX version of HPSDR PowerSDR which can do full duplex. Voila, you can adjust your PA for the best IMD and instead of ranting you can brag on how fantastic is the IMD of your PA.

Don't forget, you also get a free VNA with Hermes.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

The problem is for every one guy who is concerned about having a clean PA and builds their own, there are 10 guys who either don't give a crap or don't understand the difference.  This can be seen any day on any of he HF bands.  At any time I can count tens of operators splattering all over the bands with their crappy ill- or over-driven amps. 

Guys, the morons have won and they have been that way for some time now.

PJ2BVU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »

Some companies want you to imagine the future - the distant future!
Others can show you the future. Apache Labs will be at Dayton and will have products to sell.
Ain't no longer the future I guess.

Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:48:58 AM »

Received my ANAN-10 today 3/14/2013.  Delivery was FAST!!

Ordered Sunday night at 8:18pm (CDT) paid via PayPal, very easy order process.
Shipped Confirmation was in my mailbox before Monday morning at 7:05am (CDT)
Received call from FedEx Tuesday 2:30pm (CDT) saying package would be delivered by 10:30am (CDT) Wednesday.
Due to delay outside FedEx control at Memphis airport packaged was delivered at 10:22am (CDT) Thursday.

Will be setting up rig later today after some network changes and the fun will begin. Little rig has a nice heavy feel to it, a great deal heavier than my 1500, good looking case.  Will be posting my results on my web sites.   

Tim  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: