Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brewster/Southeast NY area, anyone out there?  (Read 5367 times)
KE2TR

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »

My wife and I are selling our home on LI and looking at the Brewster/Southeast area of NYS for our new qth. Here on LI CC&R's are ruling out any chances of tower's and antenna's, in the past 10 plus year's since I closed down my small but effective station I had in South Setauket LI the restriction's have gone threw the roof here so I am done with the rat race here on the Island and as we get older want a more relaxed area for our home. I am concerned with the area we want to buy our home in as far as any restriction  that they might have in these townships cause if I gotta get layered up then its not worth it to even try and get up a tower at the new qth, I'll do my phase vertical things on 75,40 and maybe 20mtr's as I can at least semi stealth them with enough property.
Any ham out there in these town's (Brewster/Southeast) that could give me some in-site of what they have done to install a tower as far as the leagal issues would help, thanks.
Jim
KE2TR
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »

Looks to me like Brewster, NY has very reasonable code with respect to amateur radio antennas and towers; but you can review it all here: http://ecode360.com/9138134?highlight=amateur%20radio,radios,radio#9138134

Looks like about 40 hams live there (I never have), you might try contacting a few of them.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »

I have been on the town website but I would really like to know from some ham's who live there and have installed tower's in there yard's, sometime's you may not have too but they do have that section regarding fine's per day as well. If a permit is all that is needed hey that would be easy cause I would like to get up if I can 100' and nowere in the bylaws they state min's as far as how high. Here on LI in this township its 50' and that takes a year or so for a permit. To think 12 year's ago I had two crank up's on a 1/3 acre site (72' &55' with 20' mast's and 9 HF yagi's)here on LI and no permit's but the town back then didn't really enforce the law's but now they have a big marble town hall that come out of our over taxed proprty tax and nit pick everything. Back then crank up's were the way to get around the 50' min, as long as they cracked down below 50' you were OK, the 72' cranked down with the 20' mast and a two meter stick for packet on top was right at 49'. I would rather not go crank up cause new tower's are way outa control price wise by the time you ship those bugger's they cost way too much, tower's have gone up but shipping is threw the roof.
Jim
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »

Check:  www.City-Data.com  for a list of hams who live in the town or area, then contact them by mail or phone!  I'm sure that most would be happy to give you the low down.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 05:32:25 AM »

I did check the Brewster town reg's on tower's plus even talked with the building inspector, he stated 34' tower could be erected and you still have to apply for a permit, after that then you have to get a variance. I thought Long Island was a bitch with a 50' restriction but up state makes LI look like a cup cake. The ARRL is not doing enough with the FCC about these issue's on tower's, many town's dont give a dam about PRB1. It's bad enough that tower prices have gone threw the roof but now you gotta get lawyered up just to enjoy your hobby. Well the flip side is back in the 1990's I had a very nice station/antenna farm but that can only be way out in the stick's today. I thought that being up state with a hellova lot less poeple around you it might be easy to errect a tower but but I am dead wrong. Maybe it's time to find another hobby, that's a shame cause I've been in this hobby since 1968.
Jim
KE2TR
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:06:24 AM »

Move further NW...unless you need to be close to NYC for biz or pleasure.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

Yep, some areas today are very restrictive.  You may have to just work the bands without a tower, or you might be forced to move to another area with fewer restrictions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: