Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: commscope F11 cable.  (Read 2254 times)
N0NZG

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with Commscope F11 flooded RG11 type coax cable. Yes , I know it is 75 ohm and I also know I will need an F to PL259 adaptor. If these things bother you then don’t reply. I am thinking that this stuff is supper cheap because it’s used all over. How much power do you suppose you could push through it? I know W8JI, Tom uses a ton of RG6 for remote RX antennas and I have used CATV hardline in the past with very few issues. Am I going to suffer any huge losses with the 1:1.5 SWR it presents vs 50 ohm cable into an antenna with the same SWR ? Most of my coax is 10+ years old and has seen several moves, so I am getting ready to do a wholesale replacement of all my feed lines.

73, Jeremy
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

Commscope quad-shield flooded F-6 (and a little F-11) is all I use outdoors. It's great stuff. Countless other hams use the stuff. There's nothing particularly "sacred" about 50 ohms, it's very low loss, and it will handle more than the legal limit.

And let me add that there is nothing sacred about soldering. Think of all of the billions of crimped F connectors in all of the 75 ohm CATV systems in the many thousands of cities throughout the world. Almost none of them go bad, unless they were installed improperly.

The outdoor snap-n-seal F connectors with o-ring seals are all I use now. I put a little silicone dielectric grease on the center conductor. I've run 700 watts through them on CW, and I know hams who have run 1500 watts through good F connectors on 160m. Invest in the connector crimping tool and cable stripper. They are not that expensive and will save an enormous amount of time.

Here's some info on RG-6/F-6: http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/ Same loss as RG-213/U. And F-11 is even lower loss and will handle more power!

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »

When I did outside line work if I found a bad underground cable that I wasn't able to dig up it would usually be temped with RG-11 until the construction crew could get it replaced. CATV hardline usually has 90 VAC running over it at up to 15A and I've never had any problems with it, other than a higher voltage drop than with .625 hardline coax.
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »

Great, Thanks for the input. When I found a 1000 foot spool for $250 The wheels started turning.

73,  Jeremy
N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »

Today, I found 2 1000 foot rolls of RG6u Commscope cable for $65. Is that a sign or what?
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »

Today, I found 2 1000 foot rolls of RG6u Commscope cable for $65. Is that a sign or what?

Even if it's not quad shieid or flooded, that's probably a good buy.

Some time ago, I bought my Commscope quad-shield flooded F-6 from eBay in 1000' spools, for less than $100 shipped each. Sturdy stuff, too. Some of it is lying on the ground along a long fence, and horses have trampled it into the earth without affecting it. (Yet. ;-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: