Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Fines Ex-Ham from Missouri $10,000  (Read 3170 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-issues-10-000-fine-to-missouri-man-for-unlicensed-operation-on-14-312-mhz

73 de Jim, N2EY
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »

Did he even make the slightest attempt to get a General class license?

Neil N3DF
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »

There is no record of it.

His Technician license expired in 2010, and he did not renew it. Yet he has a setup capable of 20 meter SSB operation. Interesting...

73 de Jim, N2EY
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:06:39 AM »

Yes, interesting.  But it's already known that it takes all kinds.  Just look at the mess around the western US/Canadian border--or K1MAN!
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:27:24 AM »

Does the FCC ever issue a notice when one of these characters actually pays the fine?  I've seen notices about fines being assessed, or rulings being challenged, or the amount of the fine being challenged because the defendant pleads poverty, but I've yet to see any indication that anyone ever pays.
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »

Hello All;  '6AF asks an interesting question. I, too, have wondered about the same thing. There's bound to be some type of documentation related to this subject. Anyone know how to access it? 73/ ENJOY THE HOBBY, Bunky, K4EJQ
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »

There is no record of it.

His Technician license expired in 2010, and he did not renew it. Yet he has a setup capable of 20 meter SSB operation. Interesting...

73 de Jim, N2EY

Ebay. If you have enough cash, you can buy whatever you want, and nobody checks your license. I bought my Baofeng off Ebay, from some Hong Kong guy who had zero feedback. Fortunately, I did get the radio, but he never asked for a callsign. A good ham will ask for your call before selling you anything, but there's so much crap on Ebay from "well, this was Dad's stuff, and I have no idea how it works or anything about ham radio, and I just want it gone". One dude found a Yaesu FT-401 in a storage locker he'd bought (Storage Wars type liquidator) and was trying to unload it. "Well, I plugged it in and the tubes light up, but there's no sound." Well, maybe it needs a SPEAKER, dummy! He got something like $120 for it. *sigh* I remember pirate radio guys trying to "social engineer" old hams out of their stuff, now there's Ebay.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »

I wouldn't blame the people who sell the equipment.  Even HRO doesn't stop the sale if not licensed.  I had my FT-950 for 3 months before I got my license and it was time well spent.  The vast majority of the menu options and features that require practice have to do with receiving anyway.  By the time I got my call sign, I knew much more about what was going on with my equipment.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: