Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minium sized rotor for a Cushcraft MA5B  (Read 784 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »

I am going to be getting a Cushcraft MA5B soon-wherever I go pick it up from the seller-and hoping to get it up in the next few months.  Now I need a rotor for it.  Would like to avoid spending too much on a rotor that would be overkill for this sized of a beam.  What would be about the minimum sized rotor that would handle the MA5B with a little room to spare?

73 John AF5CC
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:34 PM »

Hey John,
       I'm no expert but if it were me I'd buy the biggest I could afford. Two reasons: if you get the same wind storms as we do here in NM, you'll want a rotor that can take the abuse and not have to worry about it. The second reason being that someday you may want to upgrade to an even larger antenna and then you won't have to buy another rotor to use it.
Just my first impressions as food for thought.

73s, Win (KB5ZSM)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06:06 AM »

I agree with Win.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »

The Hy-Gain CD-45 II or Yaesu G-450A are about the "minimum" rotators you can use with that beam.

The Hy-Gain HAM-IV or Yaesu G-800 are a "step up" from those and are really better choices.

If you shop "used/reconditioned," the old Alliance HD-73 would work okay also.

I've installed several MA5B beams and although they are smaller than "full sized," they're still quite a load on a rotator, especially in a strong wind.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »

This depends on the weather in your area.  Everyone wants to go cheap on the rotor til it breaks... then the real cost of going cheap sets in!
There are reconditioned/used shops that sell rotors, so take a look at them.
73s.

-Mike.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:58 AM »

There are some claims that the rotator should be strong enough that the antenna can be kept still and the earth gets rotated under it! That's maybe going a bit far, but getting the biggest you can find or afford is well worthwhile.

After about ten years, the CDE/HyGain ones often have insides full of dirt, corroded balls and a few dead insects. Taking them apart is a messy job, best done outside. A good clean with WD40, new balls - they are cheap enough - and fresh grease (but not too much) is worthwhile. You really don't want corroded balls as they increase wear on the bearing surfaces.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: