Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with antenna mount.  (Read 2889 times)
KD4LEC

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »

I had this on the Elmers forum but was advised to move it here.
I have a 2006 Acura MDX suv.
I can't put a hatch lip antenna mount on it as there is not enough room on the metal part. It would have to  be partly on the glass.   I do not want to drill any holes.  It does not have a trailer hitch. I really do not want a mag mount on top. So where and what kind of antenna mount can I use?  Will be using it for 20m and 10m.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Rick
KD4LEC
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »

Rick, with my last car, I didn't have a good spot for a bumper mount, and the rest of my options were pretty limited, both by the car (2006 xB, about the same size and shape as a shoe box), and the fact that I park in a low garage.

I wound up screwing the "towing eye" into the chassis, taking out a little rectangular panel in the plastic "bumper" to do so.  This is how you'd attach a chain to tow the thing, I guess.  Then I bolted your basic 3/8x24 mount to the towing eye.

This worked fairly well, considering.  BTW, I thought I would have a good connection to the car's frame via the metal towing eye screwed into the metal frame, but I still needed to run some braid bonding straps from the antenna mount to the car frame to make it work well.  It didn't look great--that may be a consideration for you.  But if you've got a towing eye on your car, it might be worth considering.

Photo at  http://people.duke.edu/~kuzen001/ac4rdmobile.htm   the photo that shows the towing-eye mount is bigger than it looks on the screen--you can save it and zoom in if you want.  Email me off the forum if you want more information.  73 GL!  --ken
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »

For VHF/UHF just drill a frickin hole in the roof, use a NMO mount and be done with it. When you come to sell the vehicle get a rubber grommet, paint it the same colour as the car and shove it in the hole. The roof is that high up off the floor I doubt anyone would notice or even bother checking.

I have a 2010 Ford Mondeo sedan which was 2 years old when I bought it. Got it home and the drill was out putting a hole in the roof that weekend. When I sell it I'll replace the dualbander with a colour coded shark fin style GPS/DAB antenna and sell that as a feature.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:43:58 AM by M6GOM » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:38 AM »

For VHF/UHF just drill a frickin hole in the roof,

The original poster said very plainly he wanted an antenna mount for 20 and 10m.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »

I do not want to drill any holes.  It does not have a trailer hitch. I really do not want a mag mount on top. So where and what kind of antenna mount can I use?  Will be using it for 20m and 10m.

Rick
KD4LEC

Can I ask why your against drilling/punching? Its really the best way to get a good mount and ground connection. If your worried about resale value, I had a hole punched in the exact center of my last car roof. At trade in time, I lowered the roof lining, removed the mount, put a wad of 'fastglass' glass fibre matt and resin over the hole from the inside, filled the hole with filler, sanded, primed and resprayed, using matching 'touch up spray cans. It was un-noticable by the dealer, and structurally sound. A paintshop/body shop will do that for you. Its really invisible if done right.

The best advice i can give if your just nervous of doing it is to learn how to correctly remove/lower the roof lining (watch out for side curtain airbags!), as the big worry is accidentally drilling through that, and that will reduce the resale value! If you can move that out the way, you'll soon see its just another sheet of metal to put a hole in.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »

hi Rick,

do  you have a roof rack on the vehicle?

73 james
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:29:21 AM »

Can I ask why your against drilling/punching? Its really the best way to get a good mount and ground connection. If your worried about resale value, I had a hole punched in the exact center of my last car roof. At trade in time,

The question was directed to Rick, the OP, but I'll offer a few observations:  He said he has an SUV.  That means the roof is 150-170cm above ground.  Very few American cars have anything CLOSE to enough roof structural strength to support a decent-sized HF antenna, without extensive alterations.  And unless Rick is one of the few people who live in rural treeless areas, a big HF antenna on the roof is impossible because of trees and other obstacles.

So a roof-mount would limit Rick to a very small HF antenna.  That's certainly why *I* use a bumper-level mount with a larger antenna--because a roof-mounted HF antenna would be very limited by the need to make it physically very short.  Just MHO, but that's how it works for me.    --ken
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 06:38:21 AM »

The question was directed to Rick, the OP, but I'll offer a few observations:  He said he has an SUV.  That means the roof is 150-170cm above ground.  Very few American cars have anything CLOSE to enough roof structural strength to support a decent-sized HF antenna, without extensive alterations. 

I ran a Little Tarheel II with a 6ft whip on the middle of the roof of my 2004 Ford Mondeo with few issues and it hit a tree at least twice every time I left home and went under countless low height barriers as well. The 2010 Mondeo I have I feel would need a metal plate under the same point and I'd do that by finding a crash damaged one at a breakers yard and getting them to cut a section out of the roof where I intended to drill. My friend has a Vauxhall Astravan and even though the later model looks exactly the same, the roof is thinner so he'd need to do the same. I think using thinner grade steel is commonplace now to meet emissions and MPG requirements.

I did put something in my original post about a HF antenna which I deleted. That SUV is ideal for putting a small screwdriver antenna on the rear quarter mounted using a Breedlove mount. Come time to sell the vehicle, take it down the bodyshop and I know where I live £200 or so would see the holes filled and the panel sprayed and it'd look like the holes were never there.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »

hi,

he could mount the tarheel II with the 32" whip on the roof rack
since he prefers not to drill the vehicle.

Otherwise I agree the Breedlove mount is a great way to do that,
I have one myself.

73 james
KD5FPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:57 AM »

Rick, how about using a flat bumper mount that bolts to the bottom of the bumper using existing bolts, it can EASILY be made to protrude as far as you want behind the bumper, this is the way many Corvette owners do it.

Alternatively you can cut a flat piece of steel to the same size as a license plate but with a tab that sticks out for a few inches, sandwich this metal piece behind your cars rear license plate so that the tab sticks our horizontally, mount the antenna there, you'll have to drill 5 holes total.  This design won't put a scratch on your car. And if you use 1/8" thick steel it'll support the largest mobile antennas at highway speeds, no sweat, just be SURE to paint the whole thing to prevent rust, or use stainless steel. Any good metal fab shop can make you one in an hour. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide. 73
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »

I do not want to drill any holes.  It does not have a trailer hitch. I really do not want a mag mount on top. So where and what kind of antenna mount can I use?  Will be using it for 20m and 10m.

Rick
KD4LEC

Can I ask why your against drilling/punching? Its really the best way to get a good mount and ground connection. If your worried about resale value, I had a hole punched in the exact center of my last car roof. At trade in time, I lowered the roof lining, removed the mount, put a wad of 'fastglass' glass fibre matt and resin over the hole from the inside, filled the hole with filler, sanded, primed and resprayed, using matching 'touch up spray cans. It was un-noticable by the dealer, and structurally sound. A paintshop/body shop will do that for you. Its really invisible if done right.

The best advice i can give if your just nervous of doing it is to learn how to correctly remove/lower the roof lining (watch out for side curtain airbags!), as the big worry is accidentally drilling through that, and that will reduce the resale value! If you can move that out the way, you'll soon see its just another sheet of metal to put a hole in.

Maybe it is a leased vehicle???

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »

Rick, how about using a flat bumper mount that bolts to the bottom of the bumper using existing bolts, it can EASILY be made to protrude as far as you want behind the bumper, this is the way many Corvette owners do it.

And the performance is dire - 6dB or more down on one mounted properly. Corvette owners have an excuse, nobody else does really.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »

K2GWK wrote:  "Maybe its a leased vehicle." 

This is pure nonsense.  I don't know why people are convinced that a "leased vehicle" is off limits for antenna holes.  I have driven a dozen leased vehicles since 1975 and every one of them had at least one NMO mount in the center of the roof and a few more on the trunk deck.  NEVER has a leasing company questioned it upon return.  I'm talking "leased" car....not the same as a "rental" car.

A few years ago, after many exchanges like this one about hole or no-hole, I contacted my company's vehicle leasing agency.  They told me that they could care less about antenna holes in the vehicles being returned from leases. 

We have over 35 vehicles under lease that we drive every day.  Every one of them has one or more NMO mounts installed in holes drilled in the vehicle.

If you don't want to drill holes in your car/truck, then don't.  But please stop promoting the nonsense that it reduces the resale value of the vehicle or goes against the wishes of the leasing agency.

Go mobile!

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: