Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitx 20a digital dial confusion  (Read 1905 times)
N0NZG

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

I built a Bitx 20a last fall and now that I have most of the OEM issues resolved I have one last problem that has me stumped. I am using the digital display that came with the radio and my actual frequency is about 1.2 khz from what the dial says. For example if another ham wants to meet me at a certain frequency I have to tune 1.2 khz below the agreed upon spot to be on frequency. I have calibrated the digital dial against 2 different known good and calibrated frequency counters. I can check the VFO frequency with the digital dial and the two different counters and all 3 devices have the same reading. I can listen to myself talking into the bitx and have to tune my ts570d up 1.2 Khz from the frequency displayed on the bitx dial so that the received audio sounds correct. Is that the nature of the beast. I understand that my tx output should be 1.2 khz or so higher in frequency in the USB mode. Do factory radios account for this on their dial calibration?
Obviously you can set two different factory rigs to 14.265.000 and all is well. It has me confounded why this is happening. I feel like I might be missing something fundamental here.  Huh Huh Huh I feel dumb for asking if it’s obvious, but for now I can’t explain it. Does anyone on Eham have any ideas about this or how to “fix” it.

Thanks and 73,  Jeremy
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »

I have steered away from this rig- but have you taken into account the BFO or sideband offset frequency?
1.5KHz is very common but maybe 1.2 KHz is used in the Bitx

Dale W4OP
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »

Perhaps you should also post this question on
the BITX20A Yahoo User Group?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_radio_builders/message/235
I built the BITX20A and the factory counter and it worked OK.
But I hooked up and now use an older AADE DFD1 LCD
counter instead, with the "Biggy" LCD option.
http://aade.com/biglcd.html
Just personal preference.
(Not sure if the current DFD1 model will work with the BITX)
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: