Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T5TC - Somalia  (Read 2009 times)
MM0NDX

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »

Late March to early April by TA1HZ

http://dx-world.net/2013/t5tc-somalia/

Col MM0NDX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »

Holy cow, maybe there is a chance this year might not suck. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »

Who's issuing the T5 call sign?
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »

Without great propogation, I dont think I am going to hear 100w on a windom from Somalia.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »

I worked 6O0CW and 6O3A but every contact has been on 15 meters, CW and SSB. I'd like to work Somalia on some other bands.

Chris/NU1O
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:59 AM »

Without great propogation, I dont think I am going to hear 100w on a windom from Somalia.

What he said..... Angry Roll Eyes.....

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 05:08:20 AM »

I worked 6O0CW and 6O3A but every contact has been on 15 meters, CW and SSB. I'd like to work Somalia on some other bands.

Chris/NU1O

I have my sole contact on 15m as well. I would love 17m or even 20. But with their antenna situation and my lack of a directional antenna I am guessing I am going to have to wait for another activation.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
TA1HZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »

Hello everybody!
I am applying to the Somali Ministry of Information, Post, Telecommunication and Transport for the callsign and licence. If Mr Murphy does not interfere with my business I hope to get the callsign T5TC. Travelling with a group of fellow doctors in NGO YERYUZU DOKTORLARI , we will be in Sifa Hospital in Mogadishu. I will try to use my spare time on HF, especially during the CQ WPX SSB weekend. If I can arrange the weight of my baggage I will also take a YP-3 Yagi In a Bag for 17 or 15m work. All other bands will be on the windom antenna. I have not seen the place and do not have the slightest idea about conditions there, but I gather nothing much Sad   Cry I will try to do my best to get some empty slots filled but please be patient as I will be the "lonely and under attack" guy !! Any info and pictures I will try to post on the facebook page for TCSWAT http://www.facebook.com/groups/36545810205/  Hope to hear u on the bands! 73 de TA1HZ
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »

Thanks!! Remember to ignore all those on the East Coast!! They are very mean, grumpy and smell bad. Only call for West Coast, we are very nice and smell good!
TA1HZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 12:50:19 AM »

Thanks!! Remember to ignore all those on the East Coast!! They are very mean, grumpy and smell bad. Only call for West Coast, we are very nice and smell good!
Dear OM,
during my three visits to ZA, I tried to be just to all areas, calling "cq north america-only north america" or "cq East Asia - VK-ZL area only please", only to get replies such as IW1-IW1, SP5-SP5, or worse first "KP-KP" then "IV..KP"...
It is really hard to be on the other side of the pile-up. Especially if you have a portable rig, wire antennas, local QRM. I will try to answer all callign stations as long as they go by the DX Code. If I am calling back at a XYZ station and you still try to get your ABC callsign in between you definitely do not stand a chance of getting in the log. If I can get the yagi in a back with me, I will try to put up the beam facing Indian Ocean and Pacific so you guys on my East but US West Coast might hear me better. Usually what I do is if I hear a DX station-i.e. VK-VE-K-JA I answer and then start calling " any other DX station". If any strong station can break the pile-up, the other stations can get a chance Smiley  Wink  73 de TA1HZ
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 11:50:17 AM »

And Hawaii, don't forget Hawaii  Cheesy

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »

Dear OM,
during my three visits to ZA, I tried to be just to all areas, calling "cq north america-only north america" or "cq East Asia - VK-ZL area only please", only to get replies such as IW1-IW1, SP5-SP5, or worse first "KP-KP" then "IV..KP"...
It is really hard to be on the other side of the pile-up. Especially if you have a portable rig, wire antennas, local QRM. I will try to answer all callign stations as long as they go by the DX Code. If I am calling back at a XYZ station and you still try to get your ABC callsign in between you definitely do not stand a chance of getting in the log. If I can get the yagi in a back with me, I will try to put up the beam facing Indian Ocean and Pacific so you guys on my East but US West Coast might hear me better. Usually what I do is if I hear a DX station-i.e. VK-VE-K-JA I answer and then start calling " any other DX station". If any strong station can break the pile-up, the other stations can get a chance Smiley  Wink  73 de TA1HZ

Hello Tevfik,

I am sure you will be fair to all.  It takes a special kind of person to travel to Somalia and help out those unfortunate people in the first place. One doesn't go to Somalia to enjoy the tourist sites, great restaurants, and the night life. 

Please be safe and don't take unneeded risks.  If I work you I will be thrilled but I am more concerned with your well being.

73 and very best regards,

Chris/NU1O
TA1HZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »

Dear friends,
on the last day of my work from Mogadishu Somalia I sent greetings to all!
I've seen the note (.9%  NA ClubLog Stat  : (  ) on the dxsummit.fi . It is quite unfortunate that the score is so low.
Let me tell you about my working conditions: The rig is Kenwood TS-480HX (200w), AT200Pro Autotuner by LDG, 2 power supplies by Avair. The antennas are on the terrace of a one-story house. First one is the 80-10 windom with short leg to south and long one passing through some palm trees to north. The second antenna is a homebrew 40m dipole - now used on 15m, looking NE-SW. Yagi-in-a-bag had to be abondoned due to weight restrictions and no mast. Some are calling please beam to S.America or JA Smiley I do not have a beam to turn around. The EU wall is quite strong and makes the nerves hard. I have been calling NA-SA-JA-VK when one station breaks through the pile-up (which means the band is open to that area) but I get the usual I or SP or U coming back. During the WPX contest I tried to do some "search and pounce" to various VE-K-W stations but to no avail.This showed to me that my signal to NA was in the 4-6s. With 8-9s around I did not stand a chance.
I am now going to the Hospital for the final job and then will return to the station to try my best on 12-15 and 17ms today. Every 00Z I will try to stop the crowd for the DX station. Hope will get .9 up a little bit!
Also, don't you think there should be another reason to fly down to Mogadishu and work again  Wink 
73 de T5TC (TA1HZ)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »

Please be safe and don't take unneeded risks.  If I work you I will be thrilled but I am more concerned with your well being.

I agree with Chris, enjoy and stay safe.  The humanitarian work you're doing is appreciated by all.  I know you're fixing to leave shortly but the propagation according to the ACE-HF program to Somalia from my qth in Florida is best on 12, 15, and 17 from around 1500z to 0000z  if that helps.  Thanks for your effort on trying to work various parts of the world!

Stay safe 73 Randy AJ4RW
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:35:23 AM »

How nice it was to make a QSO on 15 m on the 29th!
I did not hold out much hope, especially with the limitations described above.
Thanks Tefvik, for a new one on phone and a very nice rare point for the DX Marathon.
Luke VK3HJ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: