Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All about DXA and TX5K - Please Read  (Read 7659 times)
W6OP

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:30:54 PM »

Rather than put my post at the end of the What's DXA post I'll put it here to get attention.

Go to http://tx5k.org and click on the DXA link or go directly to DXA at http://dxa2.org

DXA is a semi realtime QSO display system. When you make a QSO it should display on the map within 1 or 2 minutes. This way you know you are in the log or if your call got busted. You do not have to refresh the web page, we do a request every minute to the web backend for new data.

The way it works is this:
The guys on the island are logging using WinTest, that is the OFFICIAL LOG! We have another program that extracts data from WinTest and puts it in a separate database. QSOs from this database are uploaded over a satellite link once a minute. So if 6 QSOs are made in a one minute period, at the end of that minute a packet is created for upload. Within one minute that packet will be uploaded. It goes to folder on a server where files are picked up once per minute and processed and sent to the DXA web site.

This means there can be up to a three minute delay (worst case) between making a QSO and it showing up on the web page. Your QSO will show up in the list of current QSOs and on the map approximately where you are located. If you see your QSO, you are in the log. If you pay attention to who worked TX5K before and after you then you can tell if your call was busted. Or, like me, another person near me has a similar call and we often are in the pileups together. I will see immediately if W6OP (me) got in the log or W6OPO (the other guy) made it. Or sometimes on phone they get me as W6AP, must be how I pronounce Oscar Smiley

In addition, DXA shows you what bands are being worked at a given time. Due to technical constraints we cannot be 100% correct on the bands but we are pretty close. Right on when the QSO rate is high. If you hover with your mouse on the QSOs in the current or previous list you should get a tooltip that gives the mode and band that was worked by that person.

Logging in:
Actually it is more a log search, not the official log but the copy we hold. We don't keep track of these or anything, it is just held in the browser and we make a query and light up the boxes of the QSOs you have already made. Also, if you are logged in and your QSO appears on screen we will play a sound (doesn't always work) and put a message in the box on the lower right to get your attention.

Problems:
They had some kind of problem get the satellite link working. Therefore we are missing a bunch of QSOs in our server database, the OFFICIAL LOG IS SAFE on the island, don't worry about it. We hope to get the QSOs uploaded soon and get them in the DXA database.

If you have more questions, or browser issues, just leave a reply here. I'll try to check back several times a day.

On the TX5K home page click on the "Blog" link to get news and see pictures from Clipperton Island.

Pete W6OP
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »

None of my QSO's are there. 3 QSO's not regular N5UD or N5UD/M which is how I worked them. Mobile in motion from Texas !

I sent email to USA pilot.

73 Tony N5UD /M
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »

Mine for 30M RTTY showed up in less than 30 minutes.  A new one on RTTY for me!

John AF5CC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »

Works great for me. My last 4 showed up within one minute, the 3 I had before the system was working are not there but I am not worried, I figure they will show up when the old logs are uploaded.  I don't know what the fuss is about, the club log system almost always had a day or so of delays so this is a big improvement.

I just wish it had some stats info like club log, thats the main missing feature with DXA.

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 03:50:04 AM »

My first two on 40m and 30m showed up within a min or two.

My 80m qso was a different story. I worked them once and waited an hour or so and didnt see it show up (but watched others work them and theirs get in qso after qso). I decided to work them a second time in case my call was busted. After I worked them I waited for 30m still nothing in the log... I went to bed and this morning it was in the log Smiley

Fantastic sigs so far!

In my sleep deprived haze (I'm a brand new father of a just shy of 3 week old daughter), I did commit one bone-headed faux pas and tuned up on the right on the dx on 80m followed by calling them. I thought I was on the other VFO in a clear frequency when I tuned up.. not sure what buttons I pushed after I asked QRL but sure enough I had a few emails some polite and some not so polite informing me of it! Sorry!! Speaking of which time to change a diaper and go back to sleep.. definitely will check and re-check my actions on the air after that screw up!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:56:40 AM by KB2FCV » Logged
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 04:01:45 AM »

It's not updating at the moment.  I worked them 160M CW and 30M RTTY and a half hour later, they're not there yet.

Don, K2DC
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »

It's not updating at the moment.  I worked them 160M CW and 30M RTTY and a half hour later, they're not there yet.

Don, K2DC

Don:

It looks like the whole site is frozen. I have seen no updates in well over an hour. All my QSO's from yesterday still aren't in the log, just my 3 CW QSO's from today. But U see a banner from time to time stating they will try to upload the logs today.....

73 De Mike
VE3YF
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:01 AM »

I am not sure how well this is working.... I have a 30 meter & 80 meter CW contact, and nothing.  Other folks I know that have made a contacts are not having their's show up either.

But, still very good signals on all bands!
73 de Jim - KE8G
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:15:44 AM »

I am not sure how well this is working.... I have a 30 meter & 80 meter CW contact, and nothing.  Other folks I know that have made a contacts are not having their's show up either.

73 de Jim - KE8G

Jim:

I presume your 30 & 80 CW were yesterday. All my contacts from yesterday are not showing up, just the 3 CW contacts I had this morning. That being said the site has not been updating for the last hour or so, so there are some issues. Stay tuned I guess.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 04:17:53 AM »

The concept of DXA looks pretty impressive.  It appears to update in 60 second intervals but the only thing that's missing is all my QSO's.  I don't believe I've worked any "pirates" although there's always that chance.  According to my log I've worked them on 7 different bands; 160, 40, 30, 20, 17, 12 and 10 since they started yesterday.  I know there wasn't any doubt about my contact with TX5K about an hour ago on 160 meters.  I guess the jury is still out on DXA.
Randy
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 04:34:07 AM »

Sorry guys. In my googling attempts to find the online TX5K log I had posted website links to "cordell.org" and "dxa-devl.org" to eham.net yesterday. Those are FAKE TX5K LOGS !!!!! Please do not go there!!!!!!!

The links posted by W6OP seem at the start of this thread look to be real.

I will see if I can get the eham.net managers to delete that thread I started yesterday with the bad links. Again, my apologies. I feel like one of those guys who told my friends and relatives to send all their money to Nigeria or something.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »

73 de Jim - KE8G

Jim:

I presume your 30 & 80 CW were yesterday. All my contacts from yesterday are not showing up, just the 3 CW contacts I had this morning. That being said the site has not been updating for the last hour or so, so there are some issues. Stay tuned I guess.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding.  I kind of thought there was a problem, but you know how it is when working a ATNO & wanting to see yourself in the log!!!  DXing today is really different than 30 years ago, Hi Hi.  Then , the only way you knew you were in the log was when you got a card & not the dreaded NIL!!

The 30 meter contact was early yesterday morning, so far this morning I have gotten them on 40 & 80 CW.  The snapshot of DXA2 that I am getting seems to be frozen in time.

I guess I'll just have to practice that virtue of patience!!

73 de Jim - KE8G
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:36 AM »

My 12 meter CW QSO made at 1843 yesterday. Still not showing up.

Sometimes, "putting the cart ahead of the horse" wont work.

A regular old Clublog would be nice, and probably would be loaded correctly by now.

This one looks like "Last is first and First is last". Roll Eyes

Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:11:08 AM by AF3Y » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 05:37:45 AM »

One of my 30M QSOs is there. My 10M one is not.

W2IRT is out of luck. No logs.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 05:50:29 AM »

Very, very neat!  This should reduce post-contact anxiety and tendency for duplicate contacts.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: