About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S21XV  (Read 3265 times)
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:52 AM »

Found him last night on 20 cw, working split. I had just called him once or twice when someone spotted him but I managed to work him before the deluge began. He was handling the pileup very nicely - and very politely telling several stations "QSO B4"

That was an ATNO for me, the icing on the cake would be for him to sign up for LotW!

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 05:48:42 AM »

I was listening to him at that time too and briefly pondered an insurance QSO until I heard "QSO B4". He is going specifically after NA stations, as he said he would be in the DX announcements that lead up to his operation.

Congrats on the New One.

John AE5X
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »

Congrats on the new one.

He's on 17m CW right now working up 1, very weak from CO at the moment.  OTOH 20m is wide open to the Indian Ocean.  I worked two Indian stations with signals of S7-S8.  I think 17m is very good to the East Coast only at the moment.  He's been very active on all bands and I'm glad he's giving out new ones including many on this forum.

GL to all who need S2.

Jonathan W6GX
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »

Jonathan: I contacted S21VX this morning on 17 meters CW for an ATNO. He had a good signal into NW Florida and is a very good CW operator. I appreciate his effort in looking for NA. By the way, I'm still need a Vatican QSO. :-)
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »

Oops: make that S21XV instead of S21VX.  Grin
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »

Jonathan: I contacted S21VX this morning on 17 meters CW for an ATNO. He had a good signal into NW Florida and is a very good CW operator. I appreciate his effort in looking for NA. By the way, I'm still need a Vatican QSO. :-)

Hi Charles,

Congratulations on the ATNO.

From your QTH Vatican is a chip shot away Cheesy  You just need to be there when they are active.  You don't have to look for a rare band opening like S2.  For my location the rare EU entities are not that easy.  I have to deal with the FL and SC wall Grin

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »

Oops: make that S21XV instead of S21VX.  Grin

I hope you didn't reverse letters in your callsign when you worked S2 Grin

Jonathan W6GX
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »

It's OK to reverse the i's in my call.  Cheesy
K8CXM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:27 AM »

Been trying to get him for 4 days now, on 20 and 17 CW and yesterday on 20 RTTY with no luck. But, FINALLY broke through with a CW contact on 17. Only S21 I have ever heard. He was overall #351! But, wonder if I can get a QSL. Any suggestions?

Thanks Jim K8CXM
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

Been trying to get him for 4 days now, on 20 and 17 CW and yesterday on 20 RTTY with no luck. But, FINALLY broke through with a CW contact on 17. Only S21 I have ever heard. He was overall #351! But, wonder if I can get a QSL. Any suggestions?

Thanks Jim K8CXM

Congrats Jim.

You have worked 351 but only heard S21 this time?  Wow. That's like saying you have only heard S21 once in the last 40 years.  Talk about the significance of your contact.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »

Thanks Jim K8CXM

QSL info. on his QRZ page.  He has more hits on the S21XV than on his home call.  Also, I assume Bill Moore has to approve the operation for DXCC credit?

QSL: VIA BUREAU OR DIRECT (GS in good conditions, i.e., not ripped or damaged in any way + SAE)

Jonathan W6GX
K8CXM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »

Needless to say, I was VERY excited! I have a rather modest setup: A K3 driving an ALS600 and a Hex beam at only 32 feet. I have been looking for S21 for many years, and never heard any of the previous operations. I keep a photo album of all the unique entities, and hopefully S21XV will be in there. The ONLY country I've worked and not received a QSL from was LU3ZY, Anibal, on South Sandwich Islands from way back in the late 70's. I've tried, but no hope on that one. Guess if I count that one, the number is 351, but because I think it's a lost cause, I usually leave it out. The only one left that has action right now is the JD1 on Minami Torishima. Heard him once, but no luck. Maybe?
 Work them first, and worry about DXCC status later. Should count, but guess you can never tell. Glad to put this one aside in any case. It sure took a major effort on this old DX'ers part. Been chasing them since 1963...

73 ... Jim K8CXM
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »

Needless to say, I was VERY excited! I have a rather modest setup: A K3 driving an ALS600 and a Hex beam at only 32 feet. I have been looking for S21 for many years, and never heard any of the previous operations. I keep a photo album of all the unique entities, and hopefully S21XV will be in there. The ONLY country I've worked and not received a QSL from was LU3ZY, Anibal, on South Sandwich Islands from way back in the late 70's. I've tried, but no hope on that one. Guess if I count that one, the number is 351, but because I think it's a lost cause, I usually leave it out. The only one left that has action right now is the JD1 on Minami Torishima. Heard him once, but no luck. Maybe?
 Work them first, and worry about DXCC status later. Should count, but guess you can never tell. Glad to put this one aside in any case. It sure took a major effort on this old DX'ers part. Been chasing them since 1963...

73 ... Jim K8CXM

Jim: Hang in there. I recently worked a /JD1 for my first Minami Torishima QSO and today worked S21XV for an ATNO. So my recent DX'ing effort has been productive. For other ATNO's, I've been hunting XU7ACQ and will be in the hunt for ZL7LC who plans to be active soon via PSK-31. For most of my recent and current DX'ing I run about 600-700 watts into a K4KIO hexagonal beam with the top element (for 20 meters) only up about 25 feet. I think my signal is helped by my QTH; I live on a small barrier island about 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. By the way, I got my first ticket (novice) in 1962. I've worked about 290 current countries and a few deleted countries. One of the deleted countries is KZ5-land, which reflects my advanced age. :-)

73, Chuck
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

with surprisingly few callers

Are you kidding me?  His QSO rate was about one per minute. 

I think I only had to call 4 or 5 times, max, and that was a case of finally finding his QSX by hearing another guy giving a 599. I had to remove my second sound card on the weekend, which I use for the 2nd VFO decode/print, so swapping VFOs was grossly inefficient.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »

with surprisingly few callers

Are you kidding me?  His QSO rate was about one per minute. 

I think I only had to call 4 or 5 times, max, and that was a case of finally finding his QSX by hearing another guy giving a 599. I had to remove my second sound card on the weekend, which I use for the 2nd VFO decode/print, so swapping VFOs was grossly inefficient.

Agreed.

I wonder if anyone has trained their ears to decode a 599 in RTTY.  That would come in very handy!

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: