Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced?  (Read 13820 times)
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »

Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced?  Its hard for me to determine which would be a better overall and would like some first hand opinions on either one.  (The XYL will in no way condone a Hex Beam.. I have tried but she seems to be ok with the "TV Antenna").

Thanks!!!

Mike
KD2CJJ
N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »

Being in an antenna-restricted HOA neighborhood, I have no direct experience with either. I have many ham friends with Mosley's of every size/design who are very happy with their choice and the performance of the antenna. With only $150 difference between the two, I'd tend toward the Mosley for the positive reports I've had from friends.
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »

I am leaning torwards the Mosely... Any feedback on construction? Tuning, etc?

Mike
KD2CJJ
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:25 PM »

In in exactly the same position, but I also have another contender...the TGM MQ-36SR.  One person I heard tested each of these and found the MQ the better.  I'm waiting on the comments here too!

VA2FSQ
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »

That is not in the same league for price.

In in exactly the same position, but I also have another contender...the TGM MQ-36SR.  One person I heard tested each of these and found the MQ the better.  I'm waiting on the comments here too!

Mike
KD2CJJ
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

Really?  Didn't check.  Just want good performance in this sized antenna.  Oh, it is expensive.  Worth twice the price due to performance?

VA2FSQ
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »

I have no experience with the Mosley but had an MA5B for almost 10 years.  I wasn't expecting mind-blowing results but it worked fine for my needs.

Keep in mind it's a 2-element yagi on 10-15-20 and a rotatable dipole for 12 and 17.  Don't expect it to perform like a multi-element beam.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:30:03 AM »

Mosley Mini-33-WARC vs. Cushcraft MA5B - Any opinions from the experienced?  Its hard for me to determine which would be a better overall and would like some first hand opinions on either one.  (The XYL will in no way condone a Hex Beam.. I have tried but she seems to be ok with the "TV Antenna").

Thanks!!!

Did you search the archives of this Forum?  There are dozens if not hundreds of postings on these two antennas, their Price-per-Performance, assembly notes, on-the-air experiences, etc.

GL, 73, Rich K3VAT
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »

Have another one to through into the Mix an TGM MQ26 I brought one of these antennas about a year ago, first had it 25' now have it 35' to the center of the antenna, checked most all the mini beams before I settled on the MQ-26 reason I did was its small does not have much wind load and nobody complains because it does look like some sort of TV antenna. I'm not a DXer but do like to hear station a far, this antenna does me a great job at that, It is a very quite antenna and has a great signal to noise ratio
the further the station the better it seems to works, live in AZ have heard station from all over the world and if I call to them they most always return my call, don't think its a pyle up buster but don't know that for sure, I can and sometimes do run 1K through it, no problems, If something happened to it I would replace it with another one, I do like the antenna for two reasons one being it still hears good 360 deg but down a couple of S units down from the direction it faces, I face it east here in AZ most of the time, but still hear Washington state well. Second the antenna is well built and strong, it will last a lot longer than I will for sure and it covers 6-20 don't hang out on 6m so don't know how it works there but on 10m works about the same as my A99 but is quiter on 12m about the same again on 15 through 17 works better than my 43' vertical and my wire Vee. on 20m it changes
most of the time sometimes the G5RV works sometimes my 20m dipole works best but it alway works better than my 43' vertical. When on 17 and 20m I alwasy have my radio on the MQ-26 then I check the other antennas to see where the station may be and how they compare with my little toy. I believe I have a good radio used with my antennas, a Yasue FT5000D
which I know is the best radio I have ever used. If I was out in country I would try a Hex Beam to see how it would play
but am not..................73s..........KB6HRT
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:02:10 PM »

You may want to consider one of these instead ?

http://www.n6bt.com/n6bt-Q52-p1-1.htm
AC5OQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »

I have sued the MA5B before. It seems to work pretty well but it is really ugly and hard to put together. You will never get it up without some of the little capacitance hat things on the ends getting bent

73s

Lee K5PQ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »

I have sued the MA5B before.

Why, what did it do to you Smiley
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

I've had my MA5B up 2 years. It went together with no problems and went up without bending anything. It has withstood Nebraska winters and 60+ MPH winds on a 2.5 inch mast with a Yaesu G-450A rotor. I have been very satisfied with it. I use it with with my Ameritron AL-80B amp with no problems. One thing I did is pin all joints with #6 SS screws to prevent any windmilling or movement of the elements.

Andy
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »

What do you think of the Yaesu 450 rotor?  I am looking at one for the MA5B I have.

73 John AF5CC
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »

I would but there are too many negative reviews on customer service. 
You may want to consider one of these instead ?

http://www.n6bt.com/n6bt-Q52-p1-1.htm

Mike
KD2CJJ
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: