Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 949 E Tuner SETTINGS  (Read 906 times)
NP4FR

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »

Hello Dear friends:

For SSB use what is the best setting using the PEAK/AVERAGE BUTTOM.

Thanks
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:53 PM »

I use 'Average', because it gives faster needle action.

The Peak setting makes the needles move slower, and might be helpful if you are busy and can't always look directly at the meter.

Note:  This tuner does not show 'true' peak readings.  That requires a more expensive tuner/meter with power and additional circuitry.  The 949 merely has extra diode to slow the voltage decay. 
NP4FR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »

Thank You for your respond I think that this meter is not accurate to measure AVG and PEAK power. You have the reason.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »

Thank You for your respond I think that this meter is not accurate to measure AVG and PEAK power. You have the reason.

Use the tune function on your rig if (you have one) which sends out a steady unmodulated low power carrier to optimize the tuner adjustments.
Alternately, use CW mode in low power to tune. What's good for CW will be fine for SSB as well.
Readings in SSB mode are pretty much useless other to demonstrate that something is going out.

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »

I have been using the 949E for many years. I tune it with 10 watts for minimum VSWR in the CW mode and the meter set for average power, and then go to full power. I check the power out, and the VSWR, in my case it reads 100 watts in CW mode set on average power. The VSWR is set as close to 1 to 1 as I can manage. When I operate SSB I use the peak setting (it damps the meter long enough to get a fair reading of peak power). It also allows the you to see the VSWR. Using the average setting causes the meter to bounce around violently in SSB mode, and a real reading is just about impossible to see, I also do not know how good this is for the meter. I realize that this is not a true peak reading meter, but the damped of delayed reading in peek mode allows one to see a fairly accurate peak output reading where in average the needle moves so fast that the reading appears much lower then it is. If you have not already done so I would suggest that the download the 949E manual that is available for free on the MFJ web site.

I hope this helps a little.

73s,

K2OWK

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: