Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX5K seems to be EU only for 40M and 80M CW  (Read 7383 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »

It's really starting to get to me that night after night I hear TX5K on 40M and 80M CW saying EU only Angry
This lasts all the way until after 1:30am in the morning EST.  Last night I fell asleep by the Radio listening for a NA/SA call and when I woke up at 1:30am they were still saying EU only!!  How late do I have to stay up to get a chance at those bands/modes?
I have to go to work in the morning so this is really unfair for most of us.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but this is becoming really annoying, it's been happening from the start and now its starting to create a LID fest of unhappy NA/SA/rest of the world Hams.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »

Yes, I agree & had made mention of the "EU" slant a few days ago on another thread!

But,I worked them on 80 CW twice (first time didn't show up on DXA) they were at 11:19 & 03:10 UTC; the 40 meter CW QSO was at 12:22 UTC.

I have been lucky enough to get them on all the bands I am capable of, 10 through 80, CW only.

Good luck,
73 de Jim - KE8G
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »

KD8MJR asked:
How late do I have to stay up to get a chance at those bands/modes?

On 80m, and to a large extent on 40m as well, propagation to EU will decay as the sun rises in EU.  Check your sunrise/sunset tables. 

Chuck  NI0C
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

KD8MJR asked:
How late do I have to stay up to get a chance at those bands/modes?

On 80m, and to a large extent on 40m as well, propagation to EU will decay as the sun rises in EU.  Check your sunrise/sunset tables. 

Chuck  NI0C

Thats what makes it even more upsetting because clipperon 40 and 80M propagation starts at about 10pm EST and they work the EU from 10pm all the way up until 2am when the EU finally looses propagation.  So NA/SA gets the scraps that are left after 2am.  That's unless your lucky enough that the EU is not getting through then they throw the NA/SA a bone or they may have a meeting like they did the other night and just go QRT. Cry
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »

My 40 meter QSO was at 0113Z, and my 80 meter QSO was at 0214Z. Both are CW QSOs...

Both around 8 or 9 PM here in Florida.... Rather easy QSOs... Why wouldnt you hear them in WV at these times?

I dont know what they are doing on SSB, but not going there to find out anyway.... Grin

I worked most of the bands with TX5C in SSB in 2008.

73, Gene AF3Y  Cool

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:52:28 PM by AF3Y » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »

I got up at 830Z for an easy 80M contact--once the band closes to Eu there isn't much of a pileup and the band is wide open. 
Then I went back to bed, got up at the normal time, and worked them at 1132 on 40M.

Zack W1VT
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »

What Zack said. They work EU until there is no more EU to be heard. This is as it should be, too. Far too often DXpeditions in the Pacific will sit and run loud EU stations right through the limited opening to NA, and it bugs each and every one of us here, I'm guessing. If you want them on 40-160 then stay up to 2 or 3AM (or wake up pre-dawn). They'll be begging by now, or at the very least, relatively easy to work at that time of night.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »

What Zack said. They work EU until there is no more EU to be heard. This is as it should be, too. Far too often DXpeditions in the Pacific will sit and run loud EU stations right through the limited opening to NA, and it bugs each and every one of us here, I'm guessing. If you want them on 40-160 then stay up to 2 or 3AM (or wake up pre-dawn). They'll be begging by now, or at the very least, relatively easy to work at that time of night.

I Tried that!

First Night:  They Ran out of Gas at 1am so everything shutdown

Second Night:  They Decided at 1:30am to go QRT on all frequencies because a meeting was taking place. I imagine it was around 9:30 pm over there.

Third Night:  Fell a sleep on Ham shack desk at around 11:30pm, woke up at a little after 1am with Headphones still on and heard them saying "UP EU". I said "F" it I am going to bed.  Not doing another night of going to bed at 1am and waking up at 6:30am for work.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:57:03 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »

Try 1000z-1100z for 80 meters. Loud sigs and not much competition.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »

I've been a bit surprised at all the EU centric activity but that is where most of the activity and demand is located.  I've listened to them on 40 and 30m after sunset in Guam (08z) and they are still calling for EU only.  When they do listen outside of EU the JA's go wild - and have to contend with NA callers who waited patiently.  You may not think it, but JA is just as far from TX5K as EU.

I'm certainly not complaining myself - I was lucky and got in-and-out on those bands at the start of the DXpedition before they started focusing on EU.

This EU focus is not TX5K specific.  It is highly frustrating for the African DXpeditions who are good copy here but are impossible to work through EU on the lower bands.  Not only do the bulk of those DXpeditions focus on working Europe, on rare occasions when they ask EU to QRX, the Europeans keep calling and start jamming.  It has absolutely turned me off to DXing from this part of the world.  It's just no longer fun, at least from here.  It won't stop me from getting on the bands and working guys, but I no longer chase DX like I did before because all it does is elevate my blood pressure.  I've spent countless mornings calling some DX station on 40 and 80m only to have them work nothing but EU after EU with a pileup of JAs and OC stations calling.

-KH2/N2NL

KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »

I think if i ran a DX pedition rather then calling EU, I'd call everyone, or whomever is most likely to contribute to my dxpedition, secondly.  :-)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

I've honestly wondered what the fascination is with working Europe for so many DXpeditions. Is it that there are more DXCC counters to work? More of an operating challenge with language? Something else I'm missing altogether? To me, it seems that European stations get the lion's share of DX contacts to Africa, Asia/Pacific and the Indian Ocean operations, and the operators just don't care enough to go out of their way for weaker NAs. International politics raising its ugly head, maybe? I sure hope not. And to add insult to injury, last year's Dayton presentation by Don N1BG made it very obvious who was donating more and who was giving less. Yet the love affair with bad-mannered EU continues unabated and stateside regularly gets the leftovers. I feel you pain, that's for sure; I cannot imagine what it would be like to LIVE in a very rare DX location, in a CQ Zone that's relatively unpopulated, yet constantly get passed over in favour of another S5, F6 or IZ0.

Other than for contest 3-pointers, I frankly couldn't care less about working EU stations on the whole; just the rare ones like C3 and 3A (worked one of each today, in fact), SV/a, OY and JX. I vastly prefer working stuff across the Pacific. In contests, in my late afternoon, I can sit there and pick off PYs and LUs on 15 and 20m, beamed southeast, or go 180 degrees around and bang off every JA that pops up. In those cases, I'll work the JAs any day of the week over the PY/LY groups, or the EU guys on 40. They're all no-mult situations, but I feel better grabbing the JAs than the PYs or S5/IZ0s, etc.

Oh, Dave, as an aside, thanks for pulling out my pipsqueak 80m signal a couple of weeks back for a new one on that band! I'd hoped to work you for a new Zone as well but I bagged AH0BT for that honour last fall Cheesy.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »

Oh, Dave, as an aside, thanks for pulling out my pipsqueak 80m signal a couple of weeks back for a new one on that band! I'd hoped to work you for a new Zone as well but I bagged AH0BT for that honour last fall Cheesy.

No pip-squeak signal at all.  You were solid copy on my end.  In fact, I heard you work V63ZM a couple minutes earlier and figured I'd call CQ to see if you'd call in and you did.  Congrats on [at least] your 3rd z27 station on 80!
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »

I've honestly wondered what the fascination is with working Europe for so many DXpeditions.

I am fairly new to DX'ing, but it seems like a lot of DXpeditions I have worked are often manned with a lot of European hams.  I would think if you are from France, there would be a particular inclination to want to work hams from France (and in a larger sense your home continent: Europe).  Your friends probably all ask you to listen for them HiHi.  just speculating though...
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

Same here in Hawaii I sat from 0300Z till 0600Z on 40 CW and all they did was call EU except every now and then they would put out a CQ up2 but they would only work EU stations and they are 20 over 599 here. I heard one of their pilot stations V51B calling and calling and calling he was 599+10 herebut they never answerd him. Then they would be back to UP EU well tonight I plan on banging away anyway even if they are calling EU I know they will not answer because after every General CQ they gave I was calling to now avail. I did ask the Hawaiian Pilot station to ask them to call the Pacific every 20 to 30 minutes or so for 5 or 10 contacts then back to EU. I did hear them work a few NA stations around 0600Z but only around 3 or 4. I did get them on 80
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: