Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX5K seems to be EU only for 40M and 80M CW  (Read 7567 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »

Rule 1--the DX station makes the rules.

Rule 2--see rule 1.

It should have been obvious during the first 3hours of listening that you aren't going to work them during the European opening.  
I suggest turning off the radio and going to bed.  Your family is more important than working DX.

Zack W1VT

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:25:32 AM by W1VT » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

This just came to mind in another thread so it's worth re-posting here, too. Many of those lowband ops who are shunning the calling masses in NA for a low rate at European greyline are the same ones who'll be on Heard next spring, and WE'LL be the ones begging for a chance on the low bands. But if you want them to keep up a high rate and blast through every JA DXer calling, I'm sure they wouldn't mind....  Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »

It should have been obvious during the first 3hours of listening that you aren't going to work them during the European opening.  
I suggest turning off the radio and going to bed.  Your family is more important than working DX.

Zack W1VT

Honestly, No it was not Obvious!  I have worked many DXpeditions and this one contains one of the few operators I have seen that will work just one area for hours on end.  Most operators switch up every 30 minutes or so and try for something else.  Don't get me wrong, the ops on the other bands and modes are great but the guys who man 40 and 80 CW are just gunning for EU contacts.  The rest of us get the scraps!
And BTW yes Family is way more important than Ham Radio.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:08:48 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »

This just came to mind in another thread so it's worth re-posting here, too. Many of those lowband ops who are shunning the calling masses in NA for a low rate at European greyline are the same ones who'll be on Heard next spring, and WE'LL be the ones begging for a chance on the low bands. But if you want them to keep up a high rate and blast through every JA DXer calling, I'm sure they wouldn't mind....  Grin

No!  I am asking the 40/80M CW Operators to take a break from the EU every once in awhile and let some one else get a chance.  The TX5K 40/80 SSB guys are doing it so are the guys on all the other bands but not the 40/80CW guys, they seem to be focused on EU only.   I have a friend with a 160M antenna and he tells me its much easier to work them on 160 CW than it is on 40 and 80CW. Shocked Shocked

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:42:02 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

Was it here that I read that Clipperton is rated 35 most wanted in EU and over 100 in NA,

Sort of makes it understandable why the are focusing on this part of the world.

Not many do these days its mainly NA and the west coast as that's where all the big $$$'s come from.

Personally If I have to get up at 3am,4am ect to work a new one I will, I don't expect a station to stop working a marginal path to work a local just because it suits the local.

I have not heard TX5K calling EU only for the last few days but I have not been chasing them as much as I have my 8 bands and 3 modes covered.

Good luck to all that still need them, I believe they will start the tear down shortly

Trevor
EI2GLB

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »

I have not heard TX5K calling EU only for the last few days but I have not been chasing them as much ...

Trevor, I've listened to the CW and phone pileups on 17m a fair bit for a couple of days; both times I've heard an op calling for one area at least some of the time, but if the pileup thinned out I'd hear them start taking anybody.  (That's how I worked them on 17m phone sitting at a stoplight in my car.)  :-)  Great ops.  I don't have a problem with the expedition trying to give a good chance to some of the harder-to-get areas, not a bit.  But as someone else said, "The DX makes the rules," so it wouldn't matter if I *did* have a problem with it.   ;-)
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »

TX5K has been on 80 meters almost daily in the morning from 1000z on. I didn't need them on 40 so I really haven't kept up with them there other than I've seen on 40 in the morning. Since most don't get up until 1100z , there has been little competition before then. It can't get much easier than that. They aren't working much EU on 80 at that time slot.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »

Would my location really favor me that much over WV Huh
Just curious..... 73, Gene AF3Y Cool

Yes.  It's all of that brackish water at your current QTH.  You have the near-perfect QTH for a vertical antenna.

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan, since you are the resident antenna guru, can you tell me how well a 17m delta loop, with the bottom 10-12' above ground should work here.  It was a GREAT antenna at my SC QTH, only 10' above ground. Lots of water there as well (Lake Marion) but all fresh.

Hoping it might be my answer for the upcoming Heard expedition. From my backyard, its a few hundred yards wide open over a large pond for approx due north. Ought to  be pretty good for over the pole contacts?

73, Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »

Would my location really favor me that much over WV Huh
Just curious..... 73, Gene AF3Y Cool

Yes.  It's all of that brackish water at your current QTH.  You have the near-perfect QTH for a vertical antenna.

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan, since you are the resident antenna guru, can you tell me how well a 17m delta loop, with the bottom 10-12' above ground should work here.  It was a GREAT antenna at my SC QTH, only 10' above ground. Lots of water there as well (Lake Marion) but all fresh.

Hoping it might be my answer for the upcoming Heard expedition. From my backyard, its a few hundred yards wide open over a large pond for approx due north. Ought to  be pretty good for over the pole contacts?

73, Gene AF3Y

Hi Gene,

I'm far from being a guru. However I do have the modeling software and I will model it for you. Stay tuned.

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »

I was hoping that tonight I could get a 40 CW contact. I've had great fun and great sucess working TX5K on 160-10 meters, however 40 meters CW has been quite elusive.  I usually hear them at 10DB over S9, however they are ""EU only"" from our sunset to midnight when I cannot stay awake any longer. I got up a few times this week at 4:30AM but did not find them on 40 meters.

I read tonight on the blog  www.ky6r.com that they are starting to tear down early starting with the CW shack. I hope there is still some 40 meter CW for NA.

Paul N6PSE
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

I'm after 20 CW and 80 SSB for a clean sweep of every checkbox on CW and SSB. I'm surprised they didn't operate a bit more RTTY, to be honest. I still need them on 10, 12, 15, 40, 80 and 160 digital Grin.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K6EK

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 02:20:48 AM »

Got up at 02:00 local to try TX5K on 160 and 80 cw again only to find out they have dismantled the stations for those two bands. Disappointed about that to be sure. Oh well, I'll just see who's up this time of day since I'm already awake...

Ken
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »

It seems odd that they would choose to dismantle the CW site first since (by their own stats) CW has been the most productive (no surprise there). Maybe location of the site has something to do with it.
But I got the QSOs I wanted - it was nice Clipperton was so close. (Close helps with QRP  Grin)
Worked them with the K2 on 80 with 5 watts, the HW-9 on 17 with 4 watts, and with a Sierra with 700 mW on 12 meters.
And also on 15 and 10 for practice.
DXA was nice because when I watched it I caught them going to 15 meters before they were spotted and I jumped down there to work them before the big pile up started. I assumed they were 2 up and for once I was right.  Grin
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »

DXA was nice because when I watched it I caught them going to 15 meters before they were spotted and I jumped down there to work them before the big pile up started. I assumed they were 2 up and for once I was right.  Grin
I tried something like this on 40 m a couple of nights ago, and it didn't work for me. Or, rather, it worked for me, as well as probably 80 other guys.  Tongue

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »

I tried something like this on 40 m a couple of nights ago, and it didn't work for me. Or, rather, it worked for me, as well as probably 80 other guys.  Tongue

Wx2s.

Oh. it was only a matter of seconds. I saw 15CW go green. I didn't even take time to swing the beam around. The I switched to the windom, hit the 15M button, went to 21.033 and 21.035. I heard the end of the last QSO, went up a few hertz, and sent my call. The op got the first part of my call and the end of another call. I hesitated for a second and miraculously he sent "NU4B 599". I sent "de NU4B 599" and it was over. maybe 20 seconds. After that you could hear the pile up listening to TX5K wide. I was lucky to slide through, unscathed  Grin.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: