Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TX5K seems to be EU only for 40M and 80M CW  (Read 7661 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »

No, I was laying for them on 40 meters on Wednesday night. So were those eighty other guys.   Shocked

Tried 'em again early Thursday morning, but not early enough. They were QRT by then.  Cry

Finally got them early Friday morning, when they were working mostly JA's.  Grin

- WX2S

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:07:36 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »

No, I was laying for them on 40 meters on Wednesday night. So were those eighty other guys.   Cry

Tried 'em again early Thursday morning, but not early enough. They were QRT by then.

Finally got them early Friday morning, when they were working mostly JA's.

- WX2S

40 Meters can be rough - especially when they get outside the extra portion. The pile ups get vicious. Fortunately I worked FO0CI ... ummm.... last century  Grin  on 40. Sometimes I think its easier to make a QSO on 80 than on 40. Congrats on getting through.
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

I would like to compliment the majority of NA hams out there that exercised amazing amounts of patience during the 80/40 bands operations, which were frustrating at best.  Three long nights were wasted in my station's pursuit while the low banders were cherry picking outside NA. That frustration will be shared pointedly with the TX5K ops I see in Visalia this coming April.  (For the record, the high band ops were outstanding FB).  We will not be sending a donation check to this DXpedition "organizer", he can go ask EU for it.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

From a quick look at the cluster they worked NA on 80 every night they were active,

Maybe you missed it, personally I think the made they most of prop, if I could work them on 80 then anyone could,

Trevor
EI2GLB

I would like to compliment the majority of NA hams out there that exercised amazing amounts of patience during the 80/40 bands operations, which were frustrating at best.  Three long nights were wasted in my station's pursuit while the low banders were cherry picking outside NA. That frustration will be shared pointedly with the TX5K ops I see in Visalia this coming April.  (For the record, the high band ops were outstanding FB).  We will not be sending a donation check to this DXpedition "organizer", he can go ask EU for it.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »

I got up at 4am one morning and went into the shack with stinging eyes. It must have been light in England by then for an hour at least. I was after a 40m cw contact but all I heard was eu eu eu.

Needless to say I went back to bed.

Mark N1UK
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

I guess I was lucky, I got them on 40m SSB on day 1 at 12:17z and then on 40m CW day 5 at 10:43z.  These are of course times when Europe is in daylight...

100 watts and wire multi-band inverted vee up 40ft worked well combined with persistence and some luck.  My QTH had to help; i imagine if i were on the east coast, all those countries in Africa and Europe would be easier pickings...

given the size of the pile-ups and shorter windows of opportunity, trying to work TX5K from Europe must have been a real challenge.  Congrats to all who got them!

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »

You got them on 5 bands, I think snubbing them a donation because you we're never there when they were working NA on the low bands seems silly, at best.

Like someone told me once, if you are really that disappointed with the way a DXpedition is operating. Go there and do a better job yourself!

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K6EK

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2013, 07:21:05 AM »

I have to agree. While I certainly wish my own luck had been better, this was an outstanding operation in every respect.
I hope they all get off the island safely - no small feat given the conditions there. For my part I think a donation would be in order.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

I got them only once, on a band I didn't need them, but a mode I did. They will be getting a donation from me.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »

I got them on 160, 80 and 40 with no problem, and on the West Coast. They were there plenty enough for NA on the low bands.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »

I got them on 160, 80 and 40 with no problem, and on the West Coast. They were there plenty enough for NA on the low bands.

Agreed. 40 Was a little tougher than 80, and with no 160 antenna, I was well pleased. Donation headed out from here, albeit a small one from this old retired guy. hi hi

73, Gene AF3Y
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »

Did you read what I posted a couple of pages back, and why they were cherry picking Europe on 40, 80 and 160? I bet you'll bitch mightily when you can't get a single QSO from these same guys, or maybe only one or two instead of 10+, when they're on Heard next year and we're as far away from them as Europe is from Clipperton.

You're taking it out on them when the limitations were yours and yours alone. Be at the radio after 2am for stations in the pacific; the closer to dawn the better. Have enough antenna to hear them with and enough power for them to hear you.

For the record, yes, 40 CW was a bear but I don't think it took me more than 10 minutes to work 'em. 80 CW I did low power twice (with a few tries). I'd forgotten to log them the first time. 160 CW was dirt easy and 160 SSB was easier still. Both worked without the amp, the phone QSO under 50 Watts and a short inverted-L. I just stayed up late and worked them after Europe was in full daylight and they were taking all comers. It's not like they were there for 4 or 5 days, like the PY0S guys or Scarborough Reef. They were there for 10, including two weekends. Even if your job requires you to be up early during the week you had 4 mornings where you could sacrifice some sleep/family time for a low band QSO if you'd wanted and if your station was up for it.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »

I would like to compliment the majority of NA hams out there that exercised amazing amounts of patience during the 80/40 bands operations, which were frustrating at best.  Three long nights were wasted in my station's pursuit while the low banders were cherry picking outside NA. That frustration will be shared pointedly with the TX5K ops I see in Visalia this coming April.  (For the record, the high band ops were outstanding FB).  We will not be sending a donation check to this DXpedition "organizer", he can go ask EU for it.

Did you read what I posted a couple of pages back, and why they were cherry picking Europe on 40, 80 and 160? I bet you'll bitch mightily when you can't get a single QSO from these same guys, or maybe only one or two instead of 10+, when they're on Heard next year and we're as far away from them as Europe is from Clipperton.

You're taking it out on them when the limitations were yours and yours alone. Be at the radio after 2am for stations in the pacific; the closer to dawn the better. Have enough antenna to hear them with and enough power for them to hear you.

For the record, yes, 40 CW was a bear but I don't think it took me more than 10 minutes to work 'em. 80 CW I did low power twice (with a few tries). I'd forgotten to log them the first time. 160 CW was dirt easy and 160 SSB was easier still. Both worked without the amp, the phone QSO under 50 Watts and a short inverted-L. I just stayed up late and worked them after Europe was in full daylight and they were taking all comers. It's not like they were there for 4 or 5 days, like the PY0S guys or Scarborough Reef. They were there for 10, including two weekends. Even if your job requires you to be up early during the week you had 4 mornings where you could sacrifice some sleep/family time for a low band QSO if you'd wanted and if your station was up for it.

W2IRT your previous post has been noted by me before and I am sure by many others, but lets face facts.  While  most of us have very high praises for the Ops on the upper bands and the expedition overall I don't think your going to pursued people that something that was so obvious was not really happening on 80 and 40M CW.  Grey line etc is valid to a point but then it becomes clear at some point whats going on!   I have worked many dxpeditions and this was the first one that I felt like there was a clear cut no apology bias towards just one part of the world.  There were certain EU ops on the lower bands that where on a mission and they stuck with that mission no matter how low the Q rate was.

I know you believe what you believe and that's fine but I don't think you're going to convince the majority of Hams outside the EU that something was not deliberately happening on 40 and 80.

I found this interesting piece of info the other day,  I think it proves the point!

Check out OZ1LXJ on the DXA page http://www.dxa2.org
After seeing this I asked a TX5K operator if I could also work them on 40M and 15M RTTY.  The reply was “NO” they are only allowed to work inside the Band Plan.

See Band Plan Link here:  http://www.cordell.org/CI/CI_pages/CI_Frequencies.html

Well that’s certainly one way to make sure no one from NA or elsewhere gets the Top spot for contacts.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »

I had seen somewhere where they made less than 100 RTTY contacts on 40. Perhaps there was some prearranged thing with donors.

I fail to see what the problem is. To me it seems that people feel the DXpedition failed because they didn't get in the log in some "special" spot. For God's sake none of us are entitled a clean sweep.

This DXpedition wasn't run by the Obama administration... Concequently no QSO redistribution to the little guy should have been expected.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »

Who the heck cares about making the most contacts with a DXpedition?  These Clublog "top list" competitions are rediculous.  I see guys complain or beg for 12m RTTY when they already have 12 CW, 12 SSB, and RTTY on 4 other bands.  It is absolutely pointless. 

I suppose it helps a DXpedition make more QSOs, but ultimately it makes it harder for the DXer who doesn't have a powerhouse station to get in the log.

For the record, I have TX5K a bunch of times, but once I had 9 bands/3 modes, I sat back and waited until the end of the expedition to chase them further, and only then when the pileups were diminished.  I never did work them on 40CW.

-KH2/N2NL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: