Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended kits if available?  (Read 3462 times)
VE3GZB

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:30:05 AM »

Hi

I'm a ham up here in Canada. I'm working on building a strong magnetic loop antenna to handle at least 100 watts covering from 15 to 20m (I'm using a 10kV Jennings vacuum variable cap and an 11' length of thickwall 1/2" copper tubing).

It would be wonderful if an SWR driven mag loop autotuner in kit form existed for driving bidirectionally a small DC motor which will be attached to the vacuum variable cap. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a kit?

And I'm also looking for some kind of Morse code encoder/decoder kit which I can interface to my Kenwood TS2000 and use a regular computer keyboard with to type out Morse code and then see it translated back on an LCD screen?

I'm not a fan of MFJ products, twice I got burned by their shoddy quality so I'm hoping there are other choices please?

Thanks!
73s VE3GZB
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:22:55 PM »

And I'm also looking for some kind of Morse code encoder/decoder kit which I can interface to my Kenwood TS2000 and use a regular computer keyboard with to type out Morse code and then see it translated back on an LCD screen?

I'm not a fan of MFJ products, twice I got burned by their shoddy quality so I'm hoping there are other choices please?

Thanks!
73s VE3GZB

Have you checked out K1EL's keyboard keyer?  I have not used it.  I have only bought a simple keyer kit from K1EL.  But it looks like it might do what you want.

www.k1el.com

VE3GZB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »

I'll look into it, thank you!

73s VE3GZB
VE3GZB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »

I contacted K1EL.COM and they recommended the K-42 kit.

I'm uncertain that it can interface to a Kenwood TS-2000? Does anyone have any experience with this combination of kit + transceiver?

I know that when, last fall, I visited a friend of mine and brought along the TS-2000, when he plugged his key into the rear of the rig and attempted to use it, it would make the tones through the speaker but it would not generate any RF output in that mode, so we figured it had to do with the plug on his key.

I don't want to spend $$ if I'm uncertain of it's chance to work.

Opinions, thoughts please?
73s VE3GZB
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »

My opinion: Your assessment of the plug on the key being the problem is dead wrong.  A key is nothing more than a switch and if the sidetone heard is following the closing of the key, then that switch is working just fine.  My guess would be that there is some sort of carrier or drive control that must be advanced to get a signal out on CW and that hasn't been done.  Check the TS-2000 manual - there is likely a section covering CW operation - and the answer will be there.

73, K8AC
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »

Sounds like it is similar to my Icom IC-746Pro.

I can practice code with my key WITHOUT transmitting over the air. But if I were to push the footswitch or PTT switch, I WILL transmit CW over the air.

There is also a setting to automatically transmit when in CW mode WITHOUT the footswitch or PTT switch. It is all in the menu settings.

Check your manual for the CW portion of your rig and read through all of the menu items or settings available to you. I know plenty of people use that very same rig and love it just from the postings here alone.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »

The K42 kit contains a relay that simply closes the contacts for CW keying. It connects to the radio just like you would connect a hand key. The decoder takes audio from the receiver. You can plug it into the headphone jack on the receiver. It's got a 100% chance of working with your TS2000 if you make the proper connections.

KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »

Save the cash, get yourself a key, learn Morse, get on the air, have a blast. Simple and cost effective, little to go wrong. 73
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »

Ham Radio Deluxe has a module called DM780 which will do several modes including keyboard CW (win-key) .
Use the data port on the radio and isolation transformers to interface with the audio in/out on your laptop.

However, as the previous gentleman mentioned, the best way to CW is with the built-in keyer and an Op who can send/copy CW.
Why? CW is mostly sent by paddle keyers these days, but there are some who still use straight keys. There is a lot of timing and spacing errors that machines can't deal with very well , but a human operator can.
Some guys have fists that are so uneven, that a machine will only display gibberish. In short, CW is not a mode that lends itself well to automation, unless both operators are using win keyers.

If you want a keyboard mode and reliable communication, try PSK31 or RTTY.
I am a CW newbie, but I think it's worth the effort ( not easy!) to learn how to  copy CW.
The equipment is very simple , yet the mode is very powerful due to the narrow (no) bandwidth.

VE3GZB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 07:39:57 AM »

I have some serious Tinnitus from a car crash I was in 4 years ago and it prevents me from copying CW.

I tried taking lessons from an Elmer and I was constantly frustrated when the tones of the CW set off my Tinnitus, making the tones an auditory blur. So doing CW that was is out for me.

73s VE3GZB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: