Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else aggravated.......  (Read 4345 times)
W7GIF

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »

frustrated, or annoyed by folks who post on the classifieds with only contact by email, that only check their email weekly.....or never? Maybe I'm just too old-school courteous, and  feel obliged to follow up on ads placed.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »

Yup!  I consider them "untrustworthy" and refuse to buy anything they have, no matter how much I want or need it. 

Quite often, this is a ruse to suck you into a deal you really don't want to be involved with.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »

Annoyance only,I will now only deal with folks within a 200 mi. radius of my QTH and with a phone number then only leaving a one time message.Although one of my most interesting and honest transactions was with an OT via snail mail, but I fear this type of individual is disappearing from the scene fast.
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:11:05 AM »

Yup!  I consider them "untrustworthy" and refuse to buy anything they have, no matter how much I want or need it.  

Quite often, this is a ruse to suck you into a deal you really don't want to be involved with.
I agree. If not "untrustworthy".....at least undependable. And, you could be onto something with the tactic of buiding a perspective buyer's anxiety or appetite. And, although I realize it's a symptom of current culture or technology, I won't do business with anyone that can't or won't write in complete sentences, using conventional writing standards.....like capitalization, and punctuation. One-word responses to inquiries, with no salutation or closing "signature" provide me with all the insight I need regarding the writer's character and attitude. I like to think that I'm respectful and courteous when communicating with other folks, and expect no less from others. It doesn't take any real effort......just the "desire". But, perhaps that's just one more trait that's been discarded in the current culture.

But, that's just one old timers take on things.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:26:01 AM by W7GIF » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »

GIF:  You nailed it "oldtimer!"  With the way techno-communications are going these days, I suspect that one day most will be e-communicating with monosyllables.....AKA text messaging.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

GIF:  You nailed it "oldtimer!"  With the way techno-communications are going these days, I suspect that one day most will be e-communicating with monosyllables.....AKA text messaging.

QSL TNX FER QSO OM 73   Grin
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »

QSL TNX FER QSO OM 73   Grin

Hehehe. Point taken. But, even though I resort to the economies of "standard" abbreviations in the CW realm, I'm still able (willing) to use classical grammatical and syntax rules in my written word. I suppose I rationalize that, by believing that use of the CW abbreviations in message transmission ease the real-time character-stream copy burden of the recipient, whereas written word is absent that copy burden. And, messages written using classical syntax and grammatical conventions, connote respect  or acknowledgement of the recipient as a "person", rather than a decoder or decrypter.....and, deserving of the time and thought to be treated as a "person".
But, I must confess that after having been on an electronic "leash" for many years of my former life, I have NEVER sent or received a text message. Nor, have I felt the need to have a cell phone surgically attached to....or implanted in my ear. I often wonder just how it is that our lot ever progressed or even survived without the indispensable personal portable communications and entertainment devices of today. Why, I remember when folks actually lived their own lives unencumbered by electronic leashes, with real, personal experiences....not vicariously through or with others. And, they had time to appreciate and enjoy life. It was all very personal......and rewarding.

Did I fail to mention that I remember walking with the dinosaurs?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »

I have to use a $#%* blackberry for work. Once you type a couple of messages on the tiny keypad you soon learn the abbreviations so it's not that much different than the CW rational in my opinion.

By the way, I notice that QSL is sometimes used by texters as a confirmation.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:39 AM »

...By the way, I notice that QSL is sometimes used by texters as a confirmation.

Gee, wonder who started that?   Grin
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »

frustrated, or annoyed by folks who post on the classifieds with only contact by email, that only check their email weekly.....or never? Maybe I'm just too old-school courteous, and  feel obliged to follow up on ads placed.

I never put a phone number. I don't like calls at 6AM or 11PM, some people have no sense of common courtesy. BUT I do check and answer e-mail several times a day.

Clif
W7GIF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »

I never put a phone number. I don't like calls at 6AM or 11PM, some people have no sense of common courtesy. BUT I do check and answer e-mail several times a day.

Clif
Hi Clif,
I suspect you're right about common courtesy, and using one's head when placing phone calls (even consideration of differences in time zones). If only more folks were as diligent as you in monitoring their email messages.......even just daily. For folks looking to buy or sell, it's......again, just common courtesy....to answer questions/responses so that they can get on with their quest.
KK8ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »

Haven't had that happen much, but am surprised at the SCAMMERS who set up a quick Yahoo or Hotmail account with some poor ham's callsign and then ask for non-refundable money orders or bank transfers for payment. Had one on QRZ.COM today who was selling a Flex 3000 for a very attractive price. I asked him for his phone number and the posting disappeared. He wanted a bank transfer. Idiots.   de KK8ZZ
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 07:58:32 AM »

I linked and synced my emails with my smart phone.  Anytime a message comes in I get a notification real time and can respond quickly.  No muss, no fuss, and at bed time the phone is turned off until the next morning, it works great for getting a message, text or a call and I don't get disturbed.  cheers.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »

I think that a lot of the time it's more spam e-mail collectors than anything else?
KB0OXD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »

frustrated, or annoyed by folks who post on the classifieds with only contact by email, that only check their email weekly.....or never? Maybe I'm just too old-school courteous, and  feel obliged to follow up on ads placed.
I've given up on trying to maintain an email addy for any conceivable use.  Once you submit to a website for ANYTHING that's not Ham-Related, they'll sell it to the highest bidder if it means keeping the shirts on their backs

Which is why when I'm buying or selling anything that's Ham-Related (Which, thankfully in some ways, is almost never), I much prefer using Twitter.  It has a direct messaging feature.  I can also use APRS messaging as well (But I would use that only for the confirming the sending or receiving of something - NOT to conduct the actual transaction as that's the proverbial grey area/donut hole with regards to Part 97) Smiley

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 Grin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:28:20 AM by KB0OXD » Logged

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: