Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meters on a HF antenna  (Read 617 times)
AI4WX

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »

I was setting up my homebrew hf antenna and it was receiving the local 2 meter freq. I transmitted for a signal report, they told me 5x9. Should i be able to pick up 2 meters on an antenna designed for 6-20 meters?? the other goofy part is i hooked the coax up first, and even before i set the bottom coils jumper wire on, it was receiving 2 meters. i'm not sure where to begin. i tuned in to 10 meters and all i got regardless of freq was white noise. this is my first attempt at HF so i'm not sure how this should work.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »

Anything metallic will intercept signal out of the air  on receive unless it's shunted to ground by an impedance missmatch  or is so large it never gets to the receiver's first stage.
Transmit is another story.
Even with a large missmatch, a station close enough will  receive some power off your antenna.
You really don't want to transmitt with out knowing if the match is close enough to being under an SWR of about 3 to 1.
Most of the time a radio transmitt circuit is designed to auto cut back it's power to protect the final power device from such large missmatches.
There can still be enough low power to be heard even in the cutback condition.
There is a 'remote' chance of luck the match was good enough to allow some amount power to get to the antenna.

On 10m, if there was no distance propagation at that time such a E or F layer actions you won't hear anything but noise.
However it's the same as CB for instance. If another station is close enough for tropo contacts or virtual line of sight you can have a contact just the same.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:34:48 PM by KM3F » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: