Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need another 30' coax - can I connect?  (Read 951 times)
KEVIN1218

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »

I need to have another 30 foot piece of coax to have a comfortable amount to run it properly to the shack room. The connector joining these two pieces may be outdoors so i will cover it with connector tape. I have a 60 foot piece currently.
Should I connect two pieces? Will there be a considerable amount of loss? Currently the 60 foot piece is the CQ1000 (basically LMR400) so I will keep the 30 foot piece the same. Looking for feedback, thank you in advance.

Kevin
N7WR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:06:28 PM »

Given that it is LMR400 even at VHF the loss at 90 ft will be negligible.  If you use a properly sealed barrel connector and well installed PL259's and weather seal it well it should be no problem.  I have a run of well over 200 feet (with a barrel at midpoint) between my shack and the base of my tower.  No problem being heard!
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:29:38 AM »

Kevin,

Absolutely, you can connect the two.  The loss from the additional 30' of LMR-400 are not bad at all - about .2 dB at 10M, less than .5 dB at 2M and about .8 dB at 440 MHz.  And if the connectors are properly installed and weatherproofed, the barrel connection between will be virtually lossless.  I have measured coax adapters at an average loss of .016 dB even at 1.3 GHz.

Don, K2DC
KEVIN1218

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:53:55 AM »

Thank you for the replies.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »

One more "you bet" on using a barrel connector; no problems.

I wanted to add that for weatherproofing connections, the "raincoat tape" from High Sierra Online (the website has 'hamcq' in the name) works GREAT.  Easy to use, and extremely good at waterproofing.  Can be reused, too, if you're careful.  My local hardware store sells the same thing labeled as "rescue tape" I think, but the same tape is a good bit cheaper at High Sierra Online, and the service is great.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »

If you're worrying about the loss in a barrel connector used to join the two sections, don't. The loss in one of these is around 0.08 dB at 28 MHz, which is totally insignificant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: