Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MALDIVES  (Read 3394 times)
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »

I worked him but I had a feeling it wouldn't count. Somebody asked him what island he was on and he said something to the effect he wasn't on an actual island but a reef.

I was in the pileup until someone asked if he was on a boat. I left when he replied "yes, on generator power".
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »

I worked him but I had a feeling it wouldn't count. Somebody asked him what island he was on and he said something to the effect he wasn't on an actual island but a reef.

I was in the pileup until someone asked if he was on a boat. I left when he replied "yes, on generator power".

Too bad he didn't setup a temporary scaffold BS7H style Cheesy  He needs to plan better next time Grin

Jonathan W6GX
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »

Ask him for an IOTA number. IOTA is big in Europe and if he gives you a number then he must be on solid land.

It will get around the language barrier.

Mark N1UK
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »

Hi Jonathan,
 Absolutely. Since prop is good to EU a long while prior to hearing NA, we run EU first(done that way from VU7 & VU4).
 Then as it opens up into NA, the big guns come in and reveal the opening. We then go by numbers and may weigh more
 to the call areas depending on the grayline. However, that may not favor the transplants, so will adjust accordingly.
 Will also watch grayline in Dxview.

We hope that we will be able to keep the internet connection solid inorder to monitor the cluster and hope the
 realtime log update to clublogs will keep functioning.

If folks find an opening, please spot. I know the cluster cops will whine, but i think it benefits the majority. Smiley

Have two TS-480's tested and ready to go(SSB/RTTY), but worried a little about its sensitivity to weak signal Rx, since
 have always used bigger better radios like the 756 Pro 2/3 series in the past and that helps to pick the weak ones out.
 The only consolation is that the YJ0VK dxpedition team used the TS480HX and did quiet well. The K3/Acom 1k
 combo is going to be good for CW.

Not much leeway for equipment failures, since permits are issued with equipment serial numbers in the application and
 quantity limited. Hence the choice of two small rigs than a single bigger radio.

For 10/12m, the 2ele steppir most likely will be placed at a 5.5meter high structure. If that works out, then it is about
 1/2wavelength high and should work well.

73s
krish
w4vku
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »

Ask him for an IOTA number. IOTA is big in Europe and if he gives you a number then he must be on solid land.

It will get around the language barrier.

Mark N1UK

His English was very good.  I think he enjoyed the pileup and didn't say he was on a boat until somebody asked him point blank.  My remark about his English was meant as a joke.

There is another trip to the Maldives which is scheduled before Pai and Trish get there.

16 March 2013                                             A.R.I. DX Bulletin
                                   No 1141
                         ===========================
                         *** 4 2 5  D X  N E W S ***
                         ****  DX  INFORMATION  ****
                         ===========================
                          Edited by  I1JQJ & IK1ADH
                        Direttore Responsabile  I2VGW

8Q     - Noel, F6BGC will be active as 8Q7NC from the Maldives  (AS-013)  on
         19-29 March. He plans to operate holiday style on 40-6m  with  100w
         and a vertical, using mostly SSB with some  CW  and  RTTY.  Further
         information can be found at http://f8kcf.free.fr/. QSL  via  F6BGC,
         direct or bureau, and LoTW. [TNX F6BGC]

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

Hi Jonathan,
 Absolutely. Since prop is good to EU a long while prior to hearing NA, we run EU first(done that way from VU7 & VU4).
 Then as it opens up into NA, the big guns come in and reveal the opening. We then go by numbers and may weigh more
 to the call areas depending on the grayline. However, that may not favor the transplants, so will adjust accordingly.
 Will also watch grayline in Dxview.

We hope that we will be able to keep the internet connection solid inorder to monitor the cluster and hope the
 realtime log update to clublogs will keep functioning.

If folks find an opening, please spot. I know the cluster cops will whine, but i think it benefits the majority. Smiley

Have two TS-480's tested and ready to go(SSB/RTTY), but worried a little about its sensitivity to weak signal Rx, since
 have always used bigger better radios like the 756 Pro 2/3 series in the past and that helps to pick the weak ones out.
 The only consolation is that the YJ0VK dxpedition team used the TS480HX and did quiet well. The K3/Acom 1k
 combo is going to be good for CW.

Not much leeway for equipment failures, since permits are issued with equipment serial numbers in the application and
 quantity limited. Hence the choice of two small rigs than a single bigger radio.

For 10/12m, the 2ele steppir most likely will be placed at a 5.5meter high structure. If that works out, then it is about
 1/2wavelength high and should work well.

73s
krish
w4vku

Thank you Krish for the detailed response.  Today was the first time I have ever heard a signal from the Maldives.  This gave me an idea of what to expect.  When I'm expected to work someone from a country I have never heard from it gives me butterflies in the stomach Cheesy  Since I was able to copy the signal quite well and the fact you are running power, this gives me great optimism and confidence in working you.  The 480 is a fine rig. and the vertical antenna in salt water can't be beat.  Also don't forget to monitor this forum while you are there.  Thanks again for taking the time to write to us.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »

Wolfgang is currently at the Maldives.  However I have not heard him yet.  I don't blame him with all the reefs and sandy beaches, LOL.  That's why I look forward to Krish's dxpedition since he promised he will lock himself up for the entire week and do nothing but ham radio Grin

8Q7WK – Maldives

[ March 9, 2013 to March 23, 2013. ] Wolfgang, OE1MWW will be active holiday-style from the Maldives as 8Q7WK between March 9 – 23, 2013.

QRV on HF bands.

QSL via H/c.

Jonathan W6GX
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

Jonathan,
 That would be perfect for NA,since it would be night over there. So from their evening grayline to their morning grayline
  is all for radio action.  The daytime over there can be wasted away Smiley
  Will definitely watch out this forum for feedback.
73s
Krish
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

Hi Krish,

I heard Pai on 20 meters during my late afternoon today but I just wished him a good trip to 8Q during a short CW contact the other day so I did not want to work him again so soon.

I hope you guys have a wonderful trip.  I hope to work you guys on 10 meters.  Be safe and have fun!

Chris/NU1O
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:37 AM »

TU Chris,
   Looking forward to it next month. Hope to work the high bands and also help out ATNO's.

73s
krish
w4vku
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

I worked Gerhard again today but he's still on an anchored boat.  I wonder how many people thought they worked a new DXCC.  The DXCC rule is very clear and specific.  Perhaps this contact would count toward the Marathon.  I don't know for sure.

From the DXCC,

8. All stations contacted must be "land stations." Contacts with ships and boats, anchored or underway, and airborne aircraft, cannot be counted. For the purposes of this award, remote control operating points must also be land based. Exception: Permanently docked exhibition ships, such as the Queen Mary and other historic ships will be considered land based.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: