Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec omni VII  (Read 1029 times)
KJ4SKP

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:01:14 AM »

I'm finally about to take the plunge into HF with a gently used mint Ten Tec Omni VII with the internal tuner. After much research and waffling I just kept going back to the Omni. It gets great reviews. 1 of the things that has drawn me to the Omni is its reputation for having a no nonsense menu configuration (ease of use). It is WAAY more radio than I'll ever use but buying an Icom 718 as a starter radio would inevitably lead to me wanting to upgrade. Buy once cry once right? I could never afford a new Ten Tec Omni VII, I can't even really afford 1 used but I'm in! I know I'll need a power supply and I plan on using a loop antenna on my property. Any suggestions on a power supply etc would be greatly appreciated.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:22:08 AM »

An Astron 35 amp should hold you for a long while.  If you can handle the weight, and don't want to carry it around a lot, get the linear.  The switcher is lighter for easier portbility, but will probably have some small amount of rf noise somewhere on the bands as do most if not all switcher power supplies.

Other choices are West mountain radio has a small very portable unit, and MFJ has some small switchers (note the MFJ have often been pinged for noisy fans).

...bill   nr4c
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:12:51 AM »

I agree that the Astron line of linear amps are probably the best.  However...are you going to be setting up a work bench as well?

I decided on the Alinco DM-330MV. Variable voltage with at 13.8 preset. Main 32A posts on rear. 10A lighter plug on front and a set of (2) 5A bare lead clips. Meter shows voltage OR amps (selectable via front panel switch). Now the super nice feature, there is a noise offset adjustment, and it actually works. The VERY few times I've had noise on my TS-440S (from the supply) a little twist of the dial and it was shifted out of my audio.

So...if you are setting up a work bench grab this or something similar. When you have your shack and bench established then you can start putting some cash aside to get the Astron. And you will have this as a well crafted, lightweight, transportable backup.

Chris VA3CDG
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »

Astron makes good power supplies.  I can also recommend the Samlex 1235M.  And there are others on the market that will work fine.  I would recommend you get a 30 amp supply so you can power other accessories later.
73s.

-Mike.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »

I'd go for a linear Astron like the RS-35A or M also if you plan to sit the power supply in one place and just leave it there.

If you intend to move it around a lot (by carrying it), a switch mode power supply is an advantage as it will be smaller and lighter.  The advantages of the old Astron linear supplies are they can't generate any RF hash; they are extremely reliable; and if something breaks, you can always fix it yourself, inexpensively.

The OMNI-VII is a great choice.  Easy to set up, easy to use, very intuitive, and the internal tuner is actually made by LDG and works very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: