Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monaco and Turkey on 40M JT65  (Read 4305 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »

I just worked and confirmed QSOs with 3A2MW and TA2EM on 40M JT65.

While JT65 isn't a quick way of making contacts compared to SSB or CW, it becomes a very effective mode if you factor in the QSLing turn around time!  TAT was under an hour for both contacts.

I recall the discussion last year on how hard it is to hear Monaco--sure enough, Monaco was quite a bit weaker, with signals -21 to -17 (grey line peak)--too weak for CW but workable with JT65.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:47:09 PM by W1VT » Logged
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »

Gotz to begin looking for him/her.

Need Monaco & Monk Apollo to complete Europe.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »

I printed the JT-65 manual out and only an engineer could understand it, never mind enjoy the mode.

You are really stretching things if you are going to include QSL response time along with contact time!

If you like the mode, use it, but from the comments I've read I don't ever see that mode being anything but a niche.  I also have a thing about using my computer to make a contact.  Someday somebody will have to explain the thrill of RTTY to me. I tried it for about a week and every contact was a Macro somebody created and saved to their PC. That got boring real quick.

I'll take old-fashioned Phone or CW.

Chris/NU1O
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:42 AM »

I've dabbled with JT-65. It's like watching paint dry. I typically read a book in between exchanges. I have never worked anything to write home about. However with the antenna restrictions in Monaco, it might be the only way to reliable QSO someone there.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:57:14 AM »

I've dabbled with JT-65. It's like watching paint dry. I typically read a book in between exchanges. I have never worked anything to write home about. However with the antenna restrictions in Monaco, it might be the only way to reliable QSO someone there.

That's disturbing!.... Roll Eyes Angry.....If that's the case, then it might be another 2 cycles before I ever sniff a Monaco qso....Antenna restrictions, terrain, geography, etc......and one lonely country to complete EU.....Guess I'll have to JT-65 it and suck it up.....

V
KA3NRX

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »

As I see it, JT65 is the new CW, allowing new hams to enjoy the thrill of DXing at a practical cost--sure, SSB would be great if they had a tower/beam/amp, but that just isn't going to happen.  Once hooked, I'm sure some will get that big station and move on to SSB DXing, and maybe even CW DXing, but I don't see the digital modes going away--they are just too practical for those who weren't brought up in the CW days.

Took me 15 minutes to make those two contacts, bringing my confirmed digital total up to 147--and my confirmed 40M total to 114. Sure, I'd rather work CW when the band is open, but what if it isn't, or the station doesn't do CW?  Fortunately, EX8BN just  QSLed via LoTW--so I did get EX on CW!

Zack W1VT
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 06:15:31 AM »

However with the antenna restrictions in Monaco, it might be the only way to reliable QSO someone there.

Whatever antenna restrictions there may be in Monaco, they aren't the only problem - or necessarily the biggest problem.  There is a huge mountain range immediately to the west, so short-path to the US is very effectively screened.  I only have Laura 3A2MD confirmed on 20M & 10M CW, and both times she was weak as milk toast.  And she's got a beam.

Don, K2DC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:44 AM »

Whatever antenna restrictions there may be in Monaco, they aren't the only problem - or necessarily the biggest problem.  There is a huge mountain range immediately to the west, so short-path to the US is very effectively screened.  I only have Laura 3A2MD confirmed on 20M & 10M CW, and both times she was weak as milk toast.  And she's got a beam.

Don, K2DC

But you did work Monaco without using a niche mode like JT-65.  I have QSO's going back to the 90's with 3A2LU and I recently worked 3A/ON5UR and my log says he was 59.  In the 1990's I had a vertical.  So, I have them on 10, 15 and 20 SSB.

Does 3A2MD also run an amplifier or just a beam?  There is a big difference, as well as the kind of beam she is using.

Chris/NU10
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 07:24:02 AM »

I've dabbled with JT-65. It's like watching paint dry. I typically read a book in between exchanges.

Jon, thanks for the laugh and the analogy.  Maybe one day I'll take the time to read the manual and figure it out.  I tend to have the propensity to make the simple complex

Randy
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »

I didn't reads no stinkin manual.

I set my clock with WWV, set to Digital/USB,
booted the software and began to see & hear traffic.

Hardest part was realizing it was a syncronous
communications protocol.

Took 5 minutes of playing around to figgure it out.

I don't see what the big deal is.
I try to use any and every tool in the arsenal to make contacts.

When you get right down to it, I don't give a crap about
learning about someone else, or someplace else.
For me, Amateur Radio is "What can I hear" & "Who can hear ME"

Guess that is why I enjoy contests so much.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 07:53:02 AM »

I just worked and confirmed QSOs with 3A2MW and TA2EM on 40M JT65.

While JT65 isn't a quick way of making contacts compared to SSB or CW, it becomes a very effective mode if you factor in the QSLing turn around time!  TAT was under an hour for both contacts.

I recall the discussion last year on how hard it is to hear Monaco--sure enough, Monaco was quite a bit weaker, with signals -21 to -17 (grey line peak)--too weak for CW but workable with JT65.

Zack W1VT

3A has been a real thorn for me from here in CO.  The guys with beams have luck with LP, but much tougher on the vertical. 

I did just work a 9V on 40M JT65.  His antenna is a wire hanging out of his 15th story flat, and mine is a vertical hidden next to the house.  That QSO likely doesn't happen with any other mode.

Yes JT65 is boring if repetitiously used for everyday domestic exchanges, but there is nothing like it for weak signal DX.  Maybe if I had a tower and beam I'd feel differently but for me it's the bee's knees...
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 07:58:01 AM »

Does 3A2MD also run an amplifier or just a beam?  There is a big difference, as well as the kind of beam she is using.

I thought all 3A was limited to 100 watts?  I might be mistaken about that.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »

I thought all 3A was limited to 100 watts?  I might be mistaken about that.

This is what I found on 3A2MW's QRZ page.  I learn something new every day.  Thanks John.

Heavy electrical noise is generated by the 30'000 people living AND working here in only 2 sq. Km. (less than one sq.Mile); splatters and harmonics come from commercial broadcasts (13 radio stations, from 10kW to 1000kW !!!) and ships radiocommunications; the legal power is only 100W, and antennas are banned by the law 1122_22Dec1988, with some rare exceptions. Because of these problems and restrictions, only 20% of the Monaco licensed hams are active.

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »

Monaco and Turkey, huh? Both have been FAR less than tough, especially Turkey.
I have Turkey and Asiatic Turkey on 5 or 6 bands and modes.

Monaco was not that bad either, I worked 3A2MD on 20 CW (on the C3-SS up around 50') and 3A2LF on
30 CW on a little 6BTV trap vertical. Both contacts in 2010, April and May, and both around 2100Z. Both QSOs
were at the SC QTH.

I hear 3A well enough to call, using my wire vertical here in Florida. Turkey is a "work at will" station on the vertical.

THANKS to Zack, W1VT, for making me laugh so hard I got coffee up my nose, with his HILLIAROUS statement of:
"As I see it, JT65 is the new CW.":
Sam Morse is probably rolling in his grave. Shocked

73 es gud DX, Gene AF3Y Cool
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »

Monaco and Turkey, huh? Both have been FAR less than tough, especially Turkey.
I have Turkey and Asiatic Turkey on 5 or 6 bands and modes.

Monaco was not that bad either, I worked 3A2MD on 20 CW (on the C3-SS up around 50') and 3A2LF on
30 CW on a little 6BTV trap vertical. Both contacts in 2010, April and May, and both around 2100Z. Both QSOs
were at the SC QTH.

I hear 3A well enough to call, using my wire vertical here in Florida. Turkey is a "work at will" station on the vertical.

THANKS to Zack, W1VT, for making me laugh so hard I got coffee up my nose, with his HILLIAROUS statement of:
"As I see it, JT65 is the new CW.":
Sam Morse is probably rolling in his grave. Shocked

73 es gud DX, Gene AF3Y Cool

It depends on one's QTH.  From the West Coast Turkey is not all that easy.  My log shows only four contacts all made in 2012 (i.e. using tower/yagi).  OTOH I have twenty YB contacts on six bands and they are as easy as Turkey is to you Grin  So one's location plays a large role.

As for A2 I only have two contacts, both on 20m LP.  I think long path is only viable option from the West Coast.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: