Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC 781 - How much?  (Read 1623 times)
KM5L

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »

Howdy, can you all tell me how much a person would expect to pay for a Good Icom IC-781? A range is very helpful.

Patrick KM5L
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »

Why is this a silly question?  Because unless someone has one for sale and responds to you here the rest of us can only guess.  Have you gone the extra step and searched the eham classifieds?  Go there and do a search on IC-781 and include all ads including those that sold.  It's not hard to do.  You'll find your answer...then the ultimate answer will be what you end up paying after any successful negotiation.
KM5L

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »

Yes
Why is this a silly question?  Because unless someone has one for sale and responds to you here the rest of us can only guess.  Have you gone the extra step and searched the eham classifieds?  Go there and do a search on IC-781 and include all ads including those that sold.  It's not hard to do.  You'll find your answer...then the ultimate answer will be what you end up paying after any successful negotiation.

Yes, I have done those things, and I'm still interested in an opinion from those that might care to answer. I take it you don't have an opinion as to an appropriate value, but it was mighty nice hearing from 'ya.  Have an awesome year.

Patrick KM5L
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:10 PM »

I sold a nice one with the 2.8 SSB filter for $1300 . It had it updated by Kuni  at Comtek who is the master on these.

The reason I sold it is that it is an old radio and Comtek is one of the few who will work on them, or really know how. $90 shipping going and coming from here.

I see them advertised for much more than that. Unless you just like the things there are a lot better rigs you can buy. They are bad about cooking the power supply board.

$1200 to $1300 is all I would pay for one.

BTW, they aren't surface mount so the average moron can work on them. I rebuilt my power supply board easy enough. So, if you like doing that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:39:01 PM by KM4AH » Logged
KM5L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »

I sold a nice one with the 2.8 SSB filter for $1300 . It had it updated by Kuni  at Comtek who is the master on these.

The reason I sold it is that it is an old radio and Comtek is one of the few who will work on them, or really know how. $90 shipping going and coming from here.

I see them advertised for much more than that. Unless you just like the things there are a lot better rigs you can buy. They are bad about cooking the power supply board.

$1200 to $1300 is all I would pay for one.

BTW, they aren't surface mount so the average moron can work on them. I rebuilt my power supply board easy enough. So, if you like doing that kind of thing.
Hey thanks very much for the input on yours.
WE1X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »

Yeah, recently I've been seeing them listed anywhere from $1300 to $1600. Funny, when I became a ham almost 26 years ago the IC-781 was released and the cause of drool among many a ham (yes, I know the imagery can be chilling). Part of the reason was the novelty of a bandscope. But the rig's overall build quality and ergonomics contributed to the lust. Not many of us could swing $4k for a rig back then. When the Icom 756 was released (guess that was 10 or 12 years ago) it was first advertised as the 781 for the average ham.

With the availability of low-cost SDRs and free SDR software many of today's rigs (and some older models) can have bandscope capabilities far superior to what the venerable 781 could ever offer.
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »

I've seen a wide range in the price over the last year. Low end $1200, high end $2000, and everything between.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »

Yeah, recently I've been seeing them listed anywhere from $1300 to $1600. Funny, when I became a ham almost 26 years ago the IC-781 was released and the cause of drool among many a ham (yes, I know the imagery can be chilling). Part of the reason was the novelty of a bandscope. But the rig's overall build quality and ergonomics contributed to the lust. Not many of us could swing $4k for a rig back then. When the Icom 756 was released (guess that was 10 or 12 years ago) it was first advertised as the 781 for the average ham.

With the availability of low-cost SDRs and free SDR software many of today's rigs (and some older models) can have bandscope capabilities far superior to what the venerable 781 could ever offer.

Try mid 90's on the 756, it's old enough to vote....
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »

Patrick,  do what you want, but at least take some of the advice above.  The 781 was great in its day, but very below average today, especially in receiver performance.  Nothing wrong with the 781, but the world advanced as usual, and new or very gently used modern gear will be near or slightly above the price ranges mentioned above.  But the difference you'll realize in rig capability will be light years ahead of the 781.  That's a lot of coin for a used rig of that vintage.
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »

I have seen them with filters around $1200.  Anything over $1300 or so, is way too much.  Heavy (50 LB beast) and reliability is questionable in today's age....

GL
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »

Howdy, can you all tell me how much a person would expect to pay for a Good Icom IC-781? A range is very helpful.

Patrick KM5L

Recent "Sold" listings on eBay range from $1,000 to $1,800.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: