Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor operating practices catch on fast  (Read 6330 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »

"I see the smiley, but I thought the high end of 40 was used in some middle eastern countries as a broadcast band.  Yes?  or no?"
Sure it is, and not just the middle east. Broadcasting was supposed to leave 40 a number of years ago and mostly has.

If the Space Cadet guy was mad about new-fangled phonetics (I had never heard that of him) then he was an idiot. Many phonetic systems co-existed going back to the dawn of line line telegraphy and perhaps before. ARRL even had their own phonetic system years ago.

Somehow recently it has been decided by ham instructors that the NATO system is the only correct one. Which is ridiculous.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »

[No, Myron disapproved of those who used the then-new Whiskey Alpha "space cadet" phonetics, rather than the older, WWII Willie Able phonetics. 

thanks for clearing up W2OY's issue with phonetics.  I was originally a WB -- in the recorded snippet he says "no Wet Bottoms" LOL

sounds like he was missing the glory days of radio and felt like the phone bands had been invaded by idiots who, in addition to being identified by their new school callsigns, also had new-school phonetics.  He did make some interesting phonetics up of his own in protest.  It does seem at least anecdotally that although he did things like call "CQ First Class operators" he was fairly civil to those who answered his CQ, even if they were K8's or kids Cheesy  sounds like he was a good businessman and person too, according to the tribute...
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

I have not heard of the NATO phonetics.  I saw only a few  differences such as alfa instead of alpha and Mike for Mary.  I checked the ARRL website and the ITU phonetics are the same as NATO.

Randy ka4nma
N2CST

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »

I must not have found the right ears here, because no one called me a mother father like you hear on 80.  Grin
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 07:32:01 AM »

The most annoying bad practice I see on digital is, People that transmit with an "Open Mic" that is to say7 they either use use the mic to directly interface or the leave the mic inline. You can hear the background audio from their station.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

JackwagonMyron called CQ on  top of K1ZFN and I on 40 one afternoon.  Jackwagon didn't own a callbook and thus didn't know we were a half mile apart. Needless to say we talked right through him.  I suspect it cost him a few scarce brain cells.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »

I hear some people on 7.1-7.125 or so, using slow CW and some vintage rigs(I can tell by the keying, the chirps, etc.)Maybe novice nostalgia or just a handful of old novice crystals on hand. Seems to be a nice place for ops to pick up code speed or work QRS getting their feet wet in CW without being run over by the QRM and speed keys down in the lower portion. 
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »

I got aggravated  while operating SSTV on 14.233.  A SSB signal appeared and it was distorted and WIDE 12KC wide at least.  I finally found the frequency of the offender.  I asked  "OM, do you know just exactly how wide and distorted your signal is?"  Yeah, I know it's wide, But, This rig was built in the 1950's and I have NO intentions of spending the money to fix it or invest the time required to fix. 'Don't like it that's just too Bad "Buzz off."
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 04:31:26 AM »

....Yeah, I know it's wide, But, This rig was built in the 1950's and I have NO intentions of spending the money to fix it or invest the time required to fix. 'Don't like it that's just too Bad "Buzz off."

Time to get the notepaper and the recorder and report this guy to the OOs or the FCC.  They'll see that he spends the money--one way or the other! 
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »

Checking my logbook.  I was 14.233 USB and  I caught him at 14.221 and I cannot recall how far above or below that he went?  I know he was racking 14.233 up big time.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:51 AM »

I got aggravated  while operating SSTV on 14.233.  A SSB signal appeared and it was distorted and WIDE 12KC wide at least.  I finally found the frequency of the offender.  I asked  "OM, do you know just exactly how wide and distorted your signal is?"  Yeah, I know it's wide, But, This rig was built in the 1950's and I have NO intentions of spending the money to fix it or invest the time required to fix. 'Don't like it that's just too Bad "Buzz off."
  You think that's bad?  I was in LA on the W6NUT repeater, and I told a ham that his audio was a little distorted.  He told me to fork off, and began playing music for the next half hour!!!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: