Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARBOR DAY 4/27/13 Special Event Station: W8TNX Dawes Arboretum, Newark, OH  (Read 6578 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:59:18 AM »

Arbor Day  2013          Special  Event Station:    W8TNX   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COOKEN ARC, Newark, Ohio will be activating  solar-powered W8TNX from the world-famous
Dawes Arboretum,   located in southern Licking County,  central Ohio, to celebrate Arbor Day.

When:        Sat.    April 27, 2013
Time:          9am - 5 pm EDST     ( 1300-2100 GMT)
Frequencies:       7.232 - 14.332 - 21.332 - 28.332 - 146.88 repeater

Over 50  earth-conscious  clubs and organizations will set up tents and displays at this  annual event  to celebrate the beauty and wonder  of Mother Nature.   

W8TNX will be  solar powered  for the first time in it’s history.  We are looking forward to this exciting event! 
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »

The big solar panel with back up batteries  are all arranged for, and will be set up near the main entrance to the main building.

Operators have committed to run our:
40m -20m - 15m - 10m ssb station ( one station  rng 100w to a multiband vertical.
20/15m psk/rtty station around 14.080/21.080
2m FM station on the  146.88 repeater ( no tone)

50 tents/organizations will be on hand. 
WX is looking to be   pc/showery with temps in the 60s.
Come  say Hello, or work us on one or more of the bands, or  see the activities and even climb a 100 ft tree!

The folks at COOKEN 
KD8TFG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »

I will be looking forward to working you on as many of the bands that I can, may even try and stop out depending on my work schedule

73 Gary
KD8TFG
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:28 AM »

Gary:  Look forward to seeing you there.  The place will be humming.  We will be near the  main building, and at the west (left)  end of the display area. 

The large solar panel array shouldnt be too hard to spot.  If all else fails, follow your nose to the pizza truck parked right next to us!  Smiley
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »

This time...Perfect WX - sunny, calm and  temps near 70F! ( Last yr it was 38F and snowing!)

The  1.7KW solar array we  drew our juice from held up no problem-o and let us  put  150 watts out on 40 ssb, plus  50w on 2m FM.  Also powering a laptop and few other   gizmos.  (Maybe next year we bring a small amplifier....)

It was neat to say -on Arbor Day - from our tent  located beneath a 100+ ft tall perfect specimen beech tree, that we were fully solar powered, at 150 watts  rf output , and hear the surprise in the voices, expecting QRP.  ( Thanks to a portable trailer  with c. 8 ft x 10 ft surface area and a bank of Li-on batteries plus an inverter for 120 vac.  )

Sadly, our 21 mhz  psk/rtty station did not make it, due to family commitments.  And our antenna  while working FB on 40, delivered a 10:1 swr on 20-15-10m.  Maybe next year, guys.

So thanks to all who  said Hello and  contributed to our 130  mostly casual QSOs.   During the late morning and early afternoon we worked  heavily into 4 Land, down to  central FL, GA, AL, NC, SC, TN, KY,  AR, MO, WI, all over NY state, IN-OH-IL-MI and Ontario. with mostly  Big Sigs.
Those 4's sure know how to put out Big Signals! 

And while the  sunny wx was great, it caused major problems  reading my tired Gateway laptop screen in the bright sunlight.  Felt like I was groping in the dark to get the calls entered correctly.  Finding the dang cursor was the real challenge.....where did that thing go??? Is that it? No.  Maybe it's over there....no.  Aha!  I see it!

Next, look for W8TNX  in August  at our SES celebrating native son young Johnny Clem,  civil war hero  who fought as a pre-teen, and eventually rose to the rank of General.

And a special thanks to the fellow who had worked us  during our 2012 Arbor Day event, our  2012 J Clem event, and again at this 2013 Arbor Day solar powered event.  He  completes a trifecta of W8TNX qsos.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:05:40 AM »

FYI: This year's  print-it-yourself   certificate is now up on the Cooken website, and I must say it is by far our best looking one ever. ( from the Shameless Self-Promotion Department)

Most interesting, you can see the 1.7kw solar power system ( large panels and  under the hood a large set of batteries)  we used to pump out 150w. to our 4BTV vertical ( which I jokingly call a 1-BTV since it did not load on 20-15-10M...just on 40M, the COOKEN tent, and operator pics that include our past two Presidents and our incoming President ( who, BTW, are arguing between themselves who is the most photogenic!)

Next year we  intend to do it again ( with solar power)  as well as get on 20-15-10M  in addition to our stalwart band, 40M.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: