Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-1026 On the way, hookup suggestions?  (Read 6538 times)
VE3TMT

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

Hi group,

I have an MFJ-1026 on the way, hoping to squash the Plasma RF problem. The rig is a Yaesu FT990 and it has the RX antenna in and out jacks on the rear. I read somewhere these jacks can be used  with the 1026. I prefer to go this route, rather than put RF through it. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Max
KD8ADO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »

Dont have that radio, but the 1026 got rid of my problem.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure it will help. My antenna isn't very effective on 160 but I do like to listen. The noise is particularly strong on 1955 about 30 over. But the noise carries through right up into 40m. Very annoying.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »

have not had to get one, remarkably quiet (so the antenna is probably not high enough here.)

but the 1025/1026/timewave systems are noise cancellation by addition to a second antenna.  several past threads indicate you are going to have to fool around with the noise detection antenna type and position, and twitch the knobs just so, to cancel noise.  it works when you use it right.  see w8ji for more

http://www.w8ji.com/mfj-1025_1026.htm
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »

I was thinking about what  I would use for the sensing antenna. On the tower I currently have an HF beam and sloper off the side. I use both. I have one unused coax hanging up there that fed a 2m beam at one point. On the sloper, the offending noise is 20 over 9 all across 160 and most of 80, where the interference is strongest. Just for a test, this morning I fed just the center of this unused coax into the radio and the signal strength was also 20 over so I think this will make an okay sensing antenna.

I really wish I had a KW amp so I could get some high power out there and let them know how it feels.
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

Connect it between the RX Antenna in/out jacks and switch the 1026 with your ptt or linear t/r switch line.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »

A short, 2ft sense antenna, might work in your instance, assuming plasma TV is fairly close.  Larger sense antenna might be less effective.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »

Hi to you all

I have build my own noise canceler.
My findings are very simple
Yes the noise antenna is very important in  the working of noice cancelers.
The lower the noice levels on both these antennas the better these systems work.
Noise canceling is a very tricky thing to learn and to operate, but it can be very good on some types of noises.

I first trained myself with noise canceling in canceling an X-tal oscilator signal on 80, 40 and 20 mtrs.
As my canceler is homebrew I can not say anything about the MFJ but I could get rid of the oscilators completely without any loss of signals coming in from CW HF stations on the same frequencie.
The oscilator signal was about 9 and went back to 0 and gone from my rig.

It was a very absurd thing to notice.
As I heard from friends which use the MFJ , the MFJ unit is capable of reaching the same results as i did with my homebrew canceler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: