Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was your Elmer a qrper??  (Read 4391 times)
WA2TPU

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:34:04 PM »

Hi to All.
   I was wondering how many of my fellow Qrp brothers and sisters had an Elmer who was a Qrper?
    I'm not sure if anyone on this Qrp Forum has ever posed or asked this question herein.
So I'm curious to hear from anyone who got started into this wonderful hobby by an Elmer Qrper.

I can proudly tell you that my Uncle John -K2TEE( a SK now) was an avid die hard Qrper. He was my Elmer who got me into ham radio using Qrp. I have many, many fond memories of Uncle John.

Best regards and many 72/73.Good DX.
Don sr. --WA2TPU --
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »

No. Nor was he a contester or Worked all whatever guy, he used his ticket to talk to family members. 

But early in my ham days, I bought a stack of W1FB authored books and have been interested since.  For someone that likes to experiment and build his work was instrumental in my involvement and continued enjoyment of the hobby.
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 02:12:46 PM »

Yeah, sort of.

He owned a Ten Tec Argonaut at the time I was taking my Novice license. He didn't operate QRP exclusively. He didn't chase QRP awards or paticipate in QRP contests or anything like that. He, to this day, has never owned an amplifier, but I think he did and does most of his operating at 100 watts, with some QRP thrown in.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »

My "Elmer" was a friend (John K0TR) who was actually younger than I was, but was doing his associates in electronics tech and was already held an advanced ticket when he sold me my first  novice transmitter (Hallicrafters HT-40) Don't think, to this day, he's ever done qrp. He borrowed a bug I had and developed great CW skills, which kept me in the mode to this day. He convinced me that I should take the advanced down the FCC office and wonder of wonders, I passed. I owe him big time.

I started QRP when I finished years of education and could only afford an Argonaut 509. It was my only rig and I filled a log book using a 66' end fed wire. Glad I didn't know that it shouldn't have worked as well as it did!   Cheesy

73 Doc WB0FDJ
WA8MAX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »

My QRPp Elmer was K8DD The Duck-Hank gone now but not forgotten.

Max
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »

I was wondering how many of my fellow Qrp brothers and sisters had an Elmer who was a Qrper?
The one guy I'd most consider my Elmer, K4DX (then WA4FVT), was not a QRPer by a long shot.  He was a DXer.  I remember the day I made my first DX QSO I walked down the street to use a pay phone to brag to Bill!

I read all the W1FB, W0RSP and W7ZOI articles and have always been somewhat interested in QRP operation.  I never had any friends that were rabid QRPers.  I did own a TenTec Argonaut for a while in the 80s, but I never used it very much.  After a few years of inactivity, I decided that QRP would be a good choice for my return to activity.  That was just over two years ago and I'm having as much fun as I've had in over 35 years as a ham!

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

No he wasn't.
Nor was he a builder.
I got into QRP because the cheapest transceiver
kits were QRP. Kind of a back door way into QRP! Cheesy
Ken  AD6KA
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »

Yes,my buddy same age 14 was my elmer,we started off in the hobby together with basically no knowledge or experience and learned by doing and mistakes.We both got our novice license(1964) and as most cash strapped novices back then built our own low power xtmrs./rcvrs./ants from old TV parts and toilet paper tubes,we were QRP'ers from the start and didn't even know it.Now 48 years later I'm still QRP with no desire for any other niche in the hobby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: