Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rigs with good noise blankers  (Read 4466 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »

I have a really bad noise on 17m (and sometimes other bands) that really makes it hard to hear signals at times.  It sounds like some sort of electrical crud from consumer electronics, or something like that.  It might be powerline noise, but I really don't think so.  Anyways, I know the best solution is to remove the source of the noise, but that isn't always possible. 

What rigs have good noise blankers that take out electrical types of noise?  I know the Yaesu FT100D is pretty good at it.  What other rigs have you used that worked good.  The FT100D is getting kind of hard to fine used nowadays.

Any suggestions or experiences would be most welcome!

John AF5CC
WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

I finally have radios that handle my very irritating noise here.  The best blanker I have ever found, by far, is my Drake TR-7.

Next best is almost a tie with Ten-Tec OMNI V and ICOM 746PRO.  I have used many rigs, old and new, these work best for me.

Good luck,

Ed WA4NJY
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »

I finally have radios that handle my very irritating noise here.  The best blanker I have ever found, by far, is my Drake TR-7.

Next best is almost a tie with Ten-Tec OMNI V and ICOM 746PRO.  I have used many rigs, old and new, these work best for me.

Good luck,

Ed WA4NJY

Hi Ed,

That is interesting. I had a 746 original and didn't think the NB did much on it at all. Maybe they fixed it in the PRO.  I had forgotten about Ten TEc. I hear that some of their NBs are very good.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »

Good luck,

Ed WA4NJY

Hi Ed,

That is interesting. I had a 746 original and didn't think the NB did much on it at all. Maybe they fixed it in the PRO.  I had forgotten about Ten TEc. I hear that some of their NBs are very good.

I have seen demos of the K3 on youtube.  The results are amazing.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »

I have heard that about the K3, wish I could afford one.  Not right now, though.

73 John AF5CC
N4DOV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »

TenTec Eagle !
I am fighting RFI at the moment and made this video to explain and show the effectiveness of the Noise Blanker in a rig comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si26cABHa9s

Best of luck,
73's David N4DOV
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »

The Yaesu FTdx-5000 has a very effective noise blanker. Turn it on and twist the knob and S9 noise goes down to nothing.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:28:19 AM »

TenTec Eagle !
I am fighting RFI at the moment and made this video to explain and show the effectiveness of the Noise Blanker in a rig comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si26cABHa9s

Best of luck,
73's David N4DOV

Obviously the best way to deal with power line noise is to have the power company eliminate it.  However this demo is amazing.  Anyone with a noise problem who looks at this video will at least consider a TT Eagle.  Simply amazing NB.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: